Hello Community!

Delphi-PG

uhm balance is almost always required xeno. almost all strategy games make one or more balance patches.

other stuff just come up. I bet there are very few games that never had a patch

I'm sure it's probably just semantics, but speaking of preparing for patches, plural, immediately upon release, puts me on edge. I'd hope it's just an announcement that contingency plans are there, in case it turns out not to be compatible with some piece of hardware or the other which they were unable to look at, but who knows?

Look at 'Black And White 2' and 'X3' for recent examples of very famous products which seemed to be perfectly fine, then turned out to be far from it when they got public.

As I said, it's probably nothing to worry about, but there's been too many such examples, recently, for me to not sit up and take notice when reading somehting along those lines.

Well, they're still releasing patches for Starcraft once in a while as well, so balance is not easy to obtain, espec if they "only" got internal beta to weed out issues like that.......ie not all persons will think of the same way to exploit game mechanics :o

Does this mean that obvious problems are already foreseen which there will not be enough time to fix or is it just a matter of a contingency plan, in case patches are required?

We've been building games for over 10 years, and know that having an online component tends to expose issues you don't sometimes find with a single player mode. There are also exploits that arise from hackers and the inevitable balance issues associated with units. We are just simply being prepared. :D

In all honesty you shouldn’t be worried, but be happy. Some companies don’t even like to think of patching a game. Veteran online RTS players would agree our plan for support is indeed a great thing.

Delphi-PG

Game Designer/Community Rep

http://www.petroglyphgames.com

Delphi thanks for the info, and dont worry about those complaining about the ven, in all i would bet hard cash less then 10k people refuse to buy the game because of it, and if EAW is fun word of mouth will sell hundreds of thousand and i would expect within a year EAW will sell over a million.

Fosh its only 5-10 members. The boards are fine now thanks to the mod group and the good news from Delphi.

Ghostly makes a great point. Without the mod teams there would not be near as much interest in this game. Delphi-PG-Lucas owe the modders a plethora of thanks and good will. I think a great way to show that would be to endorse a mod or two and sell it under their name with the modders' permission and give a 50:50 cut off of these modded expansions to the modders themselves.

The name "Star Wars" can claim a lot of the excitement over the game. But the way the developers have delayed the realease there would not be so much excitement without the modding community.

Let's hear it for the modders!