[ROR] Topics- Base Building Style

Stellar_Magic

Well, for most of you familiar with Strategic Gaming like the Civilization Series and Command and Conquer series will surely recognize, there are multiple types of base building systems. For simplicity's sake I'll devide them into too categories.

Military Style Base Building: The Command and Conquer series is the most obvious example of this type of base system. Everything at a base is military in nature. You have war factories, war refineries, barracks, but no civilian structures

Civilization Style Base Building: The best example of Civilization based base building comes from the turned based world of the Civiliation Series and Alpha Centauri. In it you build much more then military structures, you build an entire economic infrastructure which includes civilian facilities.

These are representations of the two extremes of Base Building and design, there are many games which fall in between the two. For Reality of Rebellion I think that it would be best if we decided to strive for a Civilization Base Style. It should go hand in hand with our Corporation based technology tree. I'll get back to you later with details.

Forum and RPG Membership:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

• 4 weeks later...

These are representations of the two extremes of Base Building and design, there are many games which fall in between the two.  For Reality of Rebellion I think that it would be best if we decided to strive for a Civilization Base Style.  It should go hand in hand with our Corporation based technology tree.  I'll get back to you later with details.

I think you are right taking this approach, especially if you are striving for the work around to the unit xp approach you described in another thread.  Does the code allow you to build structures in galactic mode which do not show up on the planet surface during a tactical battle or will it allow you to win a tactical battle if all buildings are not destroyed?

• 5 weeks later...