Apprehension at the announcements

Naja

Yes, like a lot of you, I'm quite bitter about some of the more recent announcements about the liliputian scope of population caps during battle, the possible lack of moddability, and all that, but I've also noticed a more disturbing pattern:

And that is, whenever they seem to reserve an answer to a major question, unlike most instances, it's always bad news.

Example the first: "Will there be an SSD?"

Answer: "We'll tell more about that later."

Reasonable expectation: "It's not a yes, it's not a direct no - they wouldn't be dick-teasers like this unless they were hiding its existence." In most real life situations, this sort of answer is a tacit yes. From the answer to "Will you go out on a date with me?" to "The President has not denied or confirmed whether____", a coy smile and a maybe often point to yes.

Actual result: No SSD.

Example the second: "Will there be a population cap?"

Answer: "We'll tell more about that later."

Subsequent answer: "The population caps will be barely noticeable!"

Most recent answer: "No more than 20 population units per space battle, no more than 10 for the defender in a ground battle."

Example the most recent: "How moddable will this game be?"

Immediate answer: "Very mod friendly! XML and LUA will allow you do wonders with this game!"

Recent answer: "The game will not be inherently moddable. You'll have to go through LucasArts to get the required modding software, if they feel so inclined ['if they're not planning to restrict modding to make room for an expansion/sequel'].

:? Prove to me my wrongness!!!

Guest JediIgor
I see lots of marketing (censored) and fans eating it up. I'm very disappointed it won't be moddable. Unless something changes today is the last time I visit for a while.

Well you are right, but this post is a bit too much. Each of these points is already being made in another thread. And, each of these are still a it unclear.

SSD for example: Delphi said "or maybe multiplayer". This may mean that there are different "modes" for multiplayer. One mode requires you to kill the other teams main ship (The Imps get an SSD). But that begs the question, why not just make it a regular unit?

I see lots of marketing (censored) and fans eating it up. When did they say the game won't be very moddable?

Delphi said very recently that the game won't be immediately moddable outside the box, and will require outside software in order to mod it. In other words, the moddable properties will have been blocked off. While we believe that Petroglyph (themselves all being die-hard gamers) would love for us to mod the game to our heart's content, it is most probable that LucasArts wants the properties restricted to reserve novelty for an EaW expansion pack or sequel. At least, that's what the more cynical of us are starting to believe.

I think that you guys are being way too pecimistic Why can't you give the game a chance before you go bashing it?

Protecting the world from those who have an IQ higher than 30! Huzzah!

Trust me...I'm a professional.

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5380/pffuserbar2modnp0.jpg

Ok, there is an obvious easy solution to this. Petroglyph games should simply buy the Starwars franchise from Lucas Arts, since LA seems intent on keeping it from being all that it could be.

Jk of course. Naja, I agree with you but this thread feels like flame rather than practicality.

Ok, there is an obvious easy solution to this. Petroglyph games should simply buy the Starwars franchise from Lucas Arts, since LA seems intent on keeping it from being all that it could be.

The Star Wars franchise is only worth more in GDP than a small Carribean island. :roll:

Why doesn't someone like Timothy Zahn just usurp George Lucas already? It'd be a classic palace coup.

Now they are saying the modding is gonna be controlled by lucasarts :S good god, these wankers hate fans that would possibly screw around with their software, Ie; make additional units or jut modify it a bit, actually if the tools are gonna be given to a select "few" i give it 0.01 sec to get on the net.

go go limewire

EMPIRE AT WAR FAN BASE GETTING ANGRY!!! EMPIRE AT WAR FAN BASE SMASH PUNY MONEY LAUNDERING LUCASARTS!!!

http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/729/fp121420the20hulk20punch4ow.jpg

I agree whole-heartedly. LucasArts did this twice before with the Battlefront series, and now it looks like they're gonna push Petro to keep this one from it's full potential as well, for the sake of profit. Don't get me wrong, I love this game and im buying it no matter what, but I've had enough of LA and their BS wagon!

"The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some would consider to be unnatural."- Darth Sidious

http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/2268/tfomegag25vz.jpg

EMPIRE AT WAR FAN BASE GETTING ANGRY!!! EMPIRE AT WAR FAN BASE SMASH PUNY MONEY LAUNDERING LUCASARTS!!!

Have you notice that Lucas Art likes to piss off their costumers, Star Wars Galaxies, now Empire at war. They should fired their developer manager.

Guest JediIgor

Have you notice that Lucas Art likes to piss off their costumers, Star Wars Galaxies, now Empire at war. They should fired their developer manager.

They should fire their PR guy too, except he does a wonderfully well job of lying to people.

They should fire their PR guy too, except he does a wonderfully well job of lying to people.

Rofl

I'm gonna take offence to that. Their 'PR guy' works extremely hard on this and like you, is disappointed at delays. However, delays arent taken likely and at the end of the day, makes for a better game for us to experience.

DMUK

The Lucasfan Network

www.lfnetwork.com

Empire At War - the new RTS

www.empireatwar.net

Star Wars Battlefront. Real online SW gaming

www.swbattlefront.net

Creative? Show off your creations at the only officially endorsed Lucasarts Mod/download site

www.lucasfiles.com

Live The Saga: Star Wars Galaxies

www.swgalaxies.net

I agree with DMUK...let's differentiate between the two: we are pissed about aspects of the game we were tacitly guarenteed slowly being proven to be false; we are NOT pissed at Petro devs, nor are we inclined to shoot the messanger. ;)

does anyone know how to contact lucasarts and complain? not just about this but their are other more pressing things that I have to complain about but they (the lucasarts mods) won't tell me and blow me off whenever I have a question for them.

LOL! When did I once say it won't be moddable. Relax a bit guys. :D

Its a Disease Called Misquoteititis. Poor chaps suffering from it. They all fear lucasarts. cant say i like LA all the time but You and the rest at Petro are Top of the line Folks so I have no fear.

LOL! When did we once say it WON'T be moddable. Relax a bit guys. :D

Our apologies if we came off as saying that, Delphi.

We know that it will be moddable, it's just that we...don't...trust...LucasArts. We're apprehensive about having to get our modding software through them.

Guest JediIgor
LOL! When did we once say it WON'T be moddable. Relax a bit guys. :D

You pretty much said it in the "Q&A" thread when you talked about LucasArts not allowing Petroglyph to release the mod tools.