Realism or Balance?

Darth_Ryan

Do you prefer realism or balance?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer realism or balance?

• Balance
    • Realsim

...Or do you want a nice balancing feature that completely ruins the fun...

Hmm... some wordsmithing going on there...

You seem to be implying that balance is a 1 for 1 relationship (i.e. a tie fighter is as powerful as an X-wing), which isn't the case.

All balance will do is ensure that given a good mix of ships on both sides, the fight is "fair" in that both players have a chance of winning. The strategies employed and the ships involved to achieve a win could be radically different on either side, but the "balance" is that you can win if you play well, given a good mix of forces to work with.

Can the Rebels or Empire always have a chance at winning any encounter? No. If you bring knives to a gunfight, you will typically lose. Same in EaW. If you have nothing but X-wings, and I have nothing but Tartan cruisers (which excel at destroying X-wings) unless I suffer a severe heart-attack while playing, you should retreat and get together a better force, because you will easily lose that battle. EaW is different in that you can run if you're not in a good position -- you don't have to throw forces away if you attacked with too little.

As for taking about "realism = SW lore", then we're not far from realism at all. The Rebellion ships & vehicles, aside from the X-wing, which is really the most advanced fighter for the time, are scrappy. They can't win in a toe-to-toe fight with the Empire, and have to be "creative" in how they win battles. Balance provides them the avenues to be creative and win.

As Delphi said, the videos show the sides at their best. You can be assured that you can't just throw ships of the same size at each other in EaW and expect a tie. :D

Sounds exactly like most people would expect the game to be. Tactics and creative thinking are The backbone of many of the Alliances Victories. Sounds to me like you guys nailed it right on the head.

The Empires Star Destroyers may be the Top Dog in the Universe but even Big Dogs can get beat on by the little mutts.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Delphi, Thanks Ishmael!

In a situation like this, a community in bad temper, you´re doing great work.

"ITS A CRISIS!"

"I will not be this Republic splitting to. My negotiations will not fail"

Thanks Delphi, Thanks Ishmael!

In a situation like this, a community in bad temper, you´re doing great work.

Yes they are :)

We appreciate them a lot and they know this. That’s why they are here when they could play ping-pong or relax with a nice girl in Vegas after work.

Btw my dear friend Jedi Igor is so pessimistic about EAW that he even turned me a bit today....

I do have a lot of faith in the petroglyph's work and if EAW will fail I will have to go in hiding ... loll. But it will not. I can even now feel the EAW's future succes ... ;)

Back to the topic ... in my view the sound and the effects are also the main allies for the realism feeling.

I do hope they fixed the sound and voices of the pilots or soldiers no longer sound like they are bored or out on a nice walk. I want to hear them scream when they die and I also want to hear fear and hate in their voices.

From what I see in the trailers the passion input in the sounds and voices is still not enough.

- The Trivium Organization - Community Manager -

- Petroglyph Fan Forums - CoAdmin & Human Resources Manager -

Thank you, Ishmael. That is exactly the kind of reassurance that I (as well as many other people) need.

There are aspects about this game that I am not entirely happy with (alot, I suspect, are a result of LEC's meddling), but I still have high hopes for the game at release, and even more so, after the modders get ahold of it. :) must have Executor.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

i like ballance but not AOE2 ballance(cookie cutter) i want star craft/warcraft ballance where in each side has strengths and weakneses but each side can win. THAT is how a game should be made! ever wonder why blizzard games take 5-7 years to make? CUZ THEY R UBER BALLANCED!!!

must have Executor.

I thought I told you to remain on the command ship! :twisted:

[Whining] But.. but, Vader farted! I couldn't breath! It is not fair, he has that breathing machine so he doesn't have to smell it.[/Whining]

must have Executor.

I thought I told you to remain on the command ship! :twisted:

[Whining] But.. but, Vader farted! I couldn't breath! It is not fair, he has that breathing machine so he doesn't have to smell it.[/Whining]

:lol::lol::lol:

Isn't it a little Off Topic?

Yeah, it is, but I think we all need a little humor. There have been some big negatives thrown at us lately. And still no demo.

On topic, though, I think that the balance in the game should be pretty good given what Ishmael said. We can only hope, but at least he didn't say something like the Mon Cal = ISD cause that is balanced.

I do not have something about a little Humor.

I am myselfe a huge fan of going Off Topic sometimes. It depends on the Topic and the people.

Back to Topic:

Mon Cal = ISD Is this not with the new Mon Cal and not the old tourist Cruiser that was powered up with some little cannons?

Well, according to the true timeline ending at ANH end, there shouldn't even be more than 10 Mon Cal that have been retrofitted for combat in the galaxy. I think that there is even less, because I think they began retrofitting them after the Death Star was destroyed. Someone like Jan probably needs to correct me on this, though.

Realism all the way.

Realism can ACTUALLY be the balance. In swbf2, both imps and rebels had missils but thats what made it unbalanced. Ties were faster so now ties:faster+missles vs. Rebels:slow+missles. Whose gonna win? ties. So it became Unbalanced.

With realism it would be fast vs. slow+lock on missles so it's balanced(swbf1's lock on was much better, didn't take forever and actually locked on all the time)

Also the scraps of metal can be a advantage(cheap)

Also, realism makes it so that each side has differant strategies you have to use, ending up in differant expirences.

What you think is the imps advantage is its weakness, slow lumbering, easy to hit.

http://www.lucasforums.com/images/avatars/tiedefender.jpgMay the force be with you, always. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/susangillan/EDF-Avatar-X-Wing.jpg

http://www.userbars.com/galerie/images/files/3/4/ffuser.jpg

http://www.pixelpwnage.com/sigs/grouptag.jpg

.Check for Updates!.

..Imperial Assault II Mod for Empire at War!!..

...Empire at War Nexus, Modding for a Galaxy Far Far Away!!!...

....Use the Spell Check Feature People!!!!....

.....International Battlefront Clan!!!!!.....

Realism all the way.

Realism can ACTUALLY be the balance. In swbf2, both imps and rebels had missils but thats what made it unbalanced. Ties were faster so now ties:faster+missles vs. Rebels:slow+missles. Whose gonna win? ties. So it became Unbalanced.

Also the scraps of metal can be a advantage(cheap)

Also, realism makes it so that each side has differant strategies you have t use, ending up in differant expirences.

a la no cookie cutter balance just real ballence!

(like in star craft)SC=<3

SC ftw!

I mean, LA cant even say that a balance like that will hurt sales...SC hit the 10 million units sold mark last year lol. You want a good balance example...there isnt one better than SC and maybe WC.

And the second somone from LEC says RockPaperScissors/cookie cutter ballance would be bad from a marketing standpoint we should tell them to go talk to Blizzard lol.

could also be a matter of effectiveness, some would say that snowspeeders are effective against AT-AT's. WRONG! that stratagey is risky and unorthodox. In episode V only one ATAT was brought down by that method.

In fact i wonder if EAW will let us make snowspeeders almost useless by a simple stratagey that would render the tow cable useless. If and ATAT were to STOP and STAND STILL the snowspeeders could buzz around until they ran out of cable. I think that if the ATAT were to back up it could somewhow break the tow cables, it wouldn't trip going backwards because ATATs are front heavy

wow, all you guys that say realism over balance are crazy (or just havent really given this much thought)

How long are you going to play a game where one side is overly OP? Now i will say realism is a huge factor, but its absolutly NOTHING without the balance to back it up.

You will almost never enjoy an unbalanced game unless you are on the more powerful side, no matter how realistic the game is. Altho realism is up there in the list, this isnt even an argument. There is no game without some sort of attempted balance, but you can have a game without realism (altho they tend to suck) generally speaking.

And yes, normally i can never get enough realism myself, but you cant compare it to balance. Altho the sign of a quality game is both....

I haven't been around for a few days, and i can't believe this thread is still going. When it comes to starwars, Realism IS balance. Why are we still talking about it? Are people not reading the earlier pages?

• 2 weeks later...