Not trying to create any tension

Nevets

But here are some of my little fourm philosophies:

1) A thread shouldn't be closed for one person's comments. It is nicer to edit the comment and hand out a warning if necessary.

2) Closing a lot of threads isn't usually the best option. It seems like recently every other thread is being closed. This isn't necessary on a forum like this, it is a slower forum and looking at the front page and seeing a bunch of locked threads usually doesn't reflect the best of your forum.

3) If a a thread goes off-topic (this is extremly common on a star wars forum, with all the many debates) I think we should move them to the star wars forum.

4) Reasons for thread closures are if it is a repeat topic, spam, or taken over by flamming.

Anyway these are jsut some of my ideas. Not trying to call anyone out, this is just how I see things.

I have to say that I do agree. Repeatedly locking threads for going off topic or similar reasons only gets fans upset with this forum and makes them leave. Moderators are meant to help the fan base, not hurt it, and if the topic goes off topic I usually give everyone a warning and let them try again. Or if there is mild (mild) flaming then I will delete or edit the bad posts, PM the user, and then let them be warned. When you simply close a forum without telling anyone or give anyone a real explaination, then it looks bad on the moderators/administrators of the forum. Not to mention if you close it for flaming, and simply say closed for flaming, the user who flamed did not learn his/her lesson. We need to chill with the locking and actually warn users of what they are doing. If one person flames/spams/whatever the community shouldnt suffer. Espicially if the topic was a popular debate, that suddenly is closed for a couple wrong doings. I agree entirely, and this may sound like im ranting, but I do need to say something because I do think it is going a tad bit out of hand.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3269/pffuserbar2globalmodnx9.jpg

> Petroglyph Forums Moderator

> LucasForums Moderator

Guest JediIgor

Sending warnings to those people spamming/going off-topic/etc is already part of the rules, and you should already be doing that (I know I am). Furthermore, if a topic has already been answered previously, they should use the search function and so the topic is locked (or we can delete it, but then that would lead to more questions). If a thread goes off-topic, it needs to be locked, and if anyone wants to split the SW part of it later, go ahead I say. However people need to realize that this is not LEC forums and that stupid behaviour will not be tolerated.

The same goes for whoever re-opened that thread. Once a topic is locked, it stays locked. Be like Nevets and post the complaint here instead, we don't need to appear fragmented to the community at large. Remember.. you are a moderator, a keeper of the peace, and people will look up to you. So be on your best behavior, and please try to use the best grammar that you can.

Sorry that was me that opened it. At the time I just looked for the insult (since that is why it was closed), and thought it was one that could easily be edited out and be handed a warning*. I didn't realize till later how much the thread went off topic.

*I think we need a sticky in this forum for who we have warned, that way we can all keep track of who has been warned and who is due for a banning.

Also it would be nice if we get a star wars forum and have debate threads (ie have one for length of an SSD, one for timeline issues, one for Han vs Greedo...things of that nature). That way we wont have a hundred of those threads and if a thread starts to go off topic we could redirect the debate there.

Instead of locking and then splitting a topic, would it not be simpler to just delete the affiliated posts and warn the users? It accomplishes the same tasks without the un-needed locking. I just think locking should be reserved for more serious offences such as Spamming/Flaming.

Over at EaW.net we use this practice and we still achieve the peace, without locking up all the good debates.

*I think we need a sticky in this forum for who we have warned, that way we can all keep track of who has been warned and who is due for a banning.

I suggested this a while back as well, and it got blown over. A topic like this would help so us newer mods know who cause trouble and so we know if a user has already been warned and the situation requires more action.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3269/pffuserbar2globalmodnx9.jpg

> Petroglyph Forums Moderator

> LucasForums Moderator

Instead of locking and then splitting a topic, would it not be simpler to just delete the affiliated posts and warn the users? It accomplishes the same tasks without the un-needed locking. I just think locking should be reserved for more serious offences such as Spamming/Flaming.

Over at EaW.net we use this practice and we still achieve the peace, without locking up all the good debates.

I suggested this a while back as well, and it got blown over. A topic like this would help so us newer mods know who cause trouble and so we know if a user has already been warned and the situation requires more action.

I fully agree.

Loked topics don't look good. Delete/Warn/kill the spammers !

- The Trivium Organization - Community Manager -

- Petroglyph Fan Forums - CoAdmin & Human Resources Manager -