What sort of music?

SOCL

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scathane

Is it really stupid if I say I have never heared (of) it?
8O You've never heard of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture?! 8O Formally: Ouverture solennelle "1812", Op. 49. Look it up and buy/download it!
Well, I may have heard it but I do not recognise it by its title...

Well, I may have heard it but I do not recognise it by its title...
Yes, most people know it if they hear it, but aren't quite sure of the title. The last few minutes of the song are the most famous. I would hum a few bars, but this is a forum and you can't hear it. :lol:

I'm shocked! How can anybody not have heared the 1812, it's about one of the most famous pieces of music ever! You've got to hear it live as well, they roll a tank into the concert hall.... :lol:

Anyway, go get Miles Davis 'In a Silent Way.' It's not 'jazz' as you'll expect it, in fact you'll begin to realize where Pink Floyd came from...

Trust me! :wink:

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

You guys!

The personnel on board:

Miles Davis

Herbie Hancock

Chick Corea

Wayne Shorter

Dave Holland

Josef Zawinul

John McLaughlin (most mellow guitar of all time?)

Tony Williams

:!: Bonk! :P

Side one: 'SHHH/PEACEFUL'

Side two: 'IN A SILENT WAY/IT'S ABOUT THAT TIME'

...listen and do stuff like gaze at the Milky Way....

I can perfectly imagine SOCL humming the song in front of the monitor all alone... :twisted:
If you only knew the truth... :cry:

You've got to hear it live as well, they roll a tank into the concert hall.... :lol:
You're not that far off, Jahled. When I lived on a Naval base in Virginia, one year they used real cannons and the another year they used the cannons of a recently decommissioned battleship (that was the greatest!). Here they use real Howitzer cannons and, last year, they used a real M60A3 Patton tank! This, of course, was all outside, though....

I must say I don't remeber having heard it, at least by name. But I added it and "In a silent way" to the downlload queue
Excellent. :twisted:

Dizzy Gillespie!!!

Mussorgsky!!!

Black Dyke Mills Band!!!

Wynton Marsalis!!!

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

I would also like to add Treble Charger and Gob to my list. Two more great Canadian Bands.

Lost a planet Master Obi-Wan has, how embarrassing. - Yoda

Do not count a human dead until you've seen his body, and even then you can make a mistake. - Bene Gesserit saying

I had also forgotten:

Citizen King
    Fatboy Slim
    Fuel
    Vertical Horizon
    Train (I think I mentioned them already)
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers (I think them too...oh well :lol: )
    Blink182 (And them too :lol: )

Hey, have any of you guys ever heard any of Yoko Kanno's stuff? She does a lot of music for anime and is considered a genius in her work. Jahled, she did some AWESOME jazz for the anime COWBOY BEBOP. Here's a site of her's where you can listen to her music (in MP3 format) for free! Be sure to check out the COWBOY BEBOP music!

http://www.jameswong.com/ykproject/

Here's a more specific link that'll take you directly to the site's music:

http://ykp.hindsightproject.com/music.php

Edited by SOCL

Guest Scathane
Kanno's track Space Lion reminds of music to the movie Blade Runner... If you ever want to listen to that, be sure to get the orchestral version...

Kanno's track Space Lion reminds of music to the movie Blade Runner... If you ever want to listen to that, be sure to get the orchestral version...
Never heard it, but I'll be sure to find a way to do so. Space Lion is quite a sad song, especially if you know the events that surround it in the episodes.

I was listening to the Turn A Gundam music on her site last night and OH MY GODD!!!! IT IS AWESOME! I would consider it on the same level of quality as Tchaikovsky, Mozart, and Bach but modern! IT IS AWESOME! If you listen to only a little bit of the Turn A Gundam music, listen to "The Concert" CD music! IT'S AWESOME!!!

I almost forgot...if you guys want to hear some of the Funkiest god damn grooves to come out of Africa, then check out Fela Kuti 'Black President;' re-issued on CD as 'Original Sufferhead' (despite not having any Polar Bears in Africa that i'm aware off!)

:arrow: Big band hardcore funk with no holds barred on lyrics like' Colonial Mentality, and the brilliant ITT (International Thief Thief...get it?)

Moi aussi, i do not see ze funnyness in zat quote, please, explain zis to moi. :)

Elvismiggell. Strike me down and i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine...

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

...honestly guys...ITT are one of the biggest multi national corporations in the world...Fela Kuti, as an African, wrote the tune to point out it's methods of trading are slightly unfair to his fellow Africans...etc etc...(Please note Jahled is not trying to start a debate on international methods of trade, he knows very little...it's just one god damn funky piece of music...) :roll: Edited by Jahled

(Please note Jahled is not trying to start a debate on international methods of trade, he knows very little...it's just one god damn funky piece of music...) :roll:
I know what you mean. Every time I try to bring up a point or point something out I end up starting a debate, usually over politics, where everyone thinks I'm the evil/wrong one!

:lol:

Such is the fate of being an entity on the internet!!

You complained earlier about not having exposure to any of this stuff, you want me to rumble up some CD compelations; i'm sure i've got samplers lying around of my world groove shit, interested? :wink: