Scouts

Well we chatted about them only during the first interview (Lock or delete this if you want).

http://images.pexsus.com/games/empireatwar/units/empire/thumbnail/thumbs/bcca577d47a09b341ce35e5a3ee76669.jpg

Picture above might help with opinions.

I was wondering again what is their purpose. Yes to scout, but besides scouting what else do they do ? They're costly and we saw them in huge numbers in the first released pictures. Well besides scouting could they get off and set up mines or just be quick attacking troops (Assuming they have as strong weapons as normal trooper guns). Maybe they could get off and snipe?? It be pointless building tons of scouts if all they do is go somewhere and just be your eyes only to get destroyed 5 seconds later while your waiting. Well whats your opinion unless you want this topic deleted.

I imagine their purpose isn't to build them in huge numbers, a handful will do the job. Send them in quick to the enemy area, check what they have, maybe get some cheap shots in, and get out of there.

I thought the purpose is obvious. Its so that you can get real close to their shield power core and get a line of site to it. This way you can take out their shields with some bombers without having to risk any of your units. Duh!

I thought scouts were made for, I dunno... Scouting? Be like the ranger back in C&C Red Alert or the Pathfinder and Humvee in Generals, they have a great LOS and are generally good at harassing infantry. But if anything heavy catches them, they're dead.

In the Games Convention "alpha" those speeder bikes were very effective at fighting enemy infantry but have no chance vs vehicles (are destroyed are only a few shots)

But of course this can change (but I dont think so ;))

[As Swiftdraw wrote]

Rebel special units could indicate sabotage units or indirect fire units. A function like fast calvary, to flank the enemy quickly and take out the more specialized troops in the back or some such.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

Im pretty sure they will funtion like those GLA motorcycles in Zero Hour, in being able to mount troops on them and use it as a one person transport

Those things were so great!!! They could go over cliffs and anything outside a raptor couldn't touch them while they were moving. Excellent for resource raids and softening up enemy troops, and if you put the GLA's hero unit on one. :twisted: But I don't think the scout bikes will be as custmizable.

:evil: Didn't I mention somewhere that besides suiciding and scouting to get bombing runs that they could have another use besides being a 2 objective unit ?

If they can kill infantry then thats good but seriously I know they can scout since thats their first purpose. I'll bring Battlefront in, they have droids and snipers so why not have that purpose also ?

"Only used for scouting" I already know that :evil:

Well we chatted about them only during the first interview (Lock or delete this if you want).

http://images.pexsus.com/games/empireatwar/units/empire/thumbnail/thumbs/bcca577d47a09b341ce35e5a3ee76669.jpg

Picture above might help with opinions.

I was wondering again what is their purpose. Yes to scout, but besides scouting what else do they do ? They're costly and we saw them in huge numbers in the first released pictures. Well besides scouting could they get off and set up mines or just be quick attacking troops (Assuming they have as strong weapons as normal trooper guns). Maybe they could get off and snipe?? It be pointless building tons of scouts if all they do is go somewhere and just be your eyes only to get destroyed 5 seconds later while your waiting. Well whats your opinion unless you want this topic deleted.

I hope it isn't like the scouts in SWGB, i personally think that the scouts are dumb, they should be able to do more things i agree with you....

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/1135/jmaster3265signew13rd.jpg

i think renoccianse like be able to make scout droids to stay in one area? so you could drop 4 of the droids at 4 parts of a mountain pass and if you noticed 1 was gone, you knew the enemy was coming. and sniping is the only logical explanation for these dudes individually, although they should really make a game with a sniper as 2 people, to make it more realistic :D
I've have you now - Lord Vader