When heroes die, should they be respawnable?

Naja

When heroes get killed off, should they be respawnable like in Warcraft, or should they simply stay dead?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. When heroes get killed off, should they be respawnable like in Warcraft, or should they simply stay dead?

• They should stay dead. Let the player accept the consequences of his actions.
    • We should be able to resurrect them. Let the player keep his heroes.

Give a reason with your post, make it intelligible, and stay on topic. :roll:

It would be a terrible mistake for Petroglyph to stick within today's RTS mold and make heroes respawnable after they die. In the Star Wars universe especially (where some of the most dramatic moments centered on a hero's demise), such an aspect would come off as very cheesy and forced, and would deny the player a feeling of attachment to his heroes if he did not have to worry about the permanence of his actions.

If you lose a hero when you could have just retreated them, that is definately an error on your part, so you should have to live with it.

By the way, I sent a pretty long private message to Delphi:I called it the Petition of One. It yelled at them for trying to respawn heroes. I said that all of the souls of the dead Star Wars heroes are crying out that they were dead in the movies, or books, so why are they all of a sudden invinsible in the games?

Protecting the world from those who have an IQ higher than 30! Huzzah!

Trust me...I'm a professional.

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5380/pffuserbar2modnp0.jpg

Well they should die or people would use them as a 1 person army and you would be crushed becaues of that. Imagine Darth Vader force crushing tanks and force pushing troops. Then Mara Jade swiftly attacking any troops trying to take over the base. Boba Fett flying around and killing stuff while his defences are at his base. Now imagine you playing the way you should and you get owned by his 3 hero army.

Well heroes should die and stay dead but they should get healed also from bacta tanks that are weirdly places outdoors. Would you like to see heroes owning your hard earned units like they were nothing ?

In war people die, be they heros, villains, noncombatants or military personel. If heroes are respawnable or resurrectable they will quickly come to be the dominant force on the battlefield, not AT-ATs, not Star Destroyers, not X-wing squadrons.

There is no strategic risk inherent to utilizing heroes when they are ressurectable. If you loose him, big deal, he'll be back in a bit. This degrades gameplay by watering down strategy and replacing it with a "hero rush" type situation analogous to AOM and Warcraft. The entire game becomes about the heroes and more analagous to a unusually large scale RPG then a true RTS.

For a true strategy gamer there must be an inherent risk to utilizing a hero being that if you loose him you won't get him back. Therefore we must demand that for this game to be a truely challenging and rewarding strategy game that heroes be made unressurectable.

Forum and RPG Membership:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

This may do away with having to kill darth vader and the Emperor as a victory condition.

Luke: I will never joing you...I am a jedi like my father...blah blah blah

*emperor dies*

*emperor comes back to life*

Luke: Dammit!

Perhaps balance may make heroes not entirely unstoppable killing machines.

Still though, I'd like to know if it is possible to MOD the bit about respawnability, so that if we wanted, we could make it so that they stayed dead. Is that possible, Delphi?

Most heros should not respawn once they're dead they should stay dead with the exception of the Jedi, although the chances are slim it would be in the game it would be nice to see the ability for a dead jedi to respawn as a force ghost.

Sparky

Most heros should not respawn once they're dead they should stay dead with the exception of the Jedi, although the chances are slim it would be in the game it would be nice to see the ability for a dead jedi to respawn as a force ghost.

Sparky

There is a good idea and how it should be, the only ones that should respawn are jedi as force ghosts, I like it.

Perhaps balance may make heroes not entirely unstoppable killing machines.

Still though, I'd like to know if it is possible to MOD the bit about respawnability, so that if we wanted, we could make it so that they stayed dead. Is that possible, Delphi?

This sounds like something that could be modable like that. There will be costs and time limits on respawning them most likely, you just make it to where the cost and or time limit is unreachable. You know there will be a cheat or mod to make them instantly respawnable soon after release.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

If there is a mod to make heroes respawn and cheaper to own just ban it or a nice way, dont download it.

2) if there is a mod for heroes to actually stay dead but stay as ghost with no effect then sure go for it.

Is it common to have two identical threads going at once on the same topic around here? Seems like twice the typing and twice the reading :) Anyways, as I said in the other thread, my view is that games with only 1 hero or 2, you need to have heros respawn. But in a game where you got like 30 heros you are trying to manage, and you can take them all down to the battlefield at once, they should be able to die if you are careless. Would not be fun if every battle turned into my 15 heros vs your 15 heros and trying to micromanage all those special abilities. Looks like with 15 heros and their 20+ special ability, you could steal/destroy and entire army fairly quickly if heros are as hard to take out as they are in some of the videos. my two cents

If there is a mod to make heroes respawn and cheaper to own just ban it or a nice way, dont download it.

What if that is what you want to enhance your gaming experience? If it multiplayer it should be allowed, but if you are playing single player I see no problem with it.