What do you think of this strategy?

DarkTrooper14

If you're fighting (insert name here) in space and there is an asteroid field, USE IT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE, ESPESIALLY IF YOU'RE OUTNUMBERED! Well head into the asteroid field and use the asteroids to shield your ships from being blasted to bits if there are larger ships. Even though your ships will take damage from colliding asteroids, they can handle it, depending on their size. You can make half, or any number you want, of the ships protect the other ships by shooting incoming asteroids. The rest will shoot their guns out of the asteroid field towards the enemy ships. After a while, if they have taken loses, they will retreat leaving what ever ships you have left to run away as well, if you want to. Also, use all your single ships(fighters, bombers, etc.) to protect against the enemy fighters.

Does anyone think this is a good strategy?

Here's my counter:

When you are running in the asteroid field, I take my ships and pelt the field, hurting your ships a lot. I don't let you draw me into the asteroid field. All your people die!

Yes, I would do this as the Rebels!

Protecting the world from those who have an IQ higher than 30! Huzzah!

Trust me...I'm a professional.

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5380/pffuserbar2modnp0.jpg

If you did not read all of it, you would know that I was saying to use your smallers ships to take out the incoming asteroids while your larger ships shoot out of the field towards the enemy. And yes, I agree that they would have to come out sometime, but they can always keep going the other way until they come out the other side and then jump into hyperspace.

I dont really care if it works either, atleast I can try when the game comes out, and if it works, those who say it wont work have to call themselves n00bs. If it doesnt work, I'll call myself a n00b. :roll:

Don't be so hard on yourself. :( That would be a great strategy for a retreat. If you find yourself outgunned by a fleet that comes to one of your planets that happens to have an asteroid field around it, then escape through the asteroids. Chances are that the enemy may follow you, but if they don't then your fleet escapes without significant loss (to asteroids).

What if I have Interdictor cruisers?

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

Well, I would make all of my ships focus all their firepower towards them. After that, whatever ships I have left will distract the rest of your fleet while my ground forces retreat from the planet. Sometimes, it's not all about winning, sometimes you have to make sacrifices to defend your people, no matter the cost.

Well, I would make all of my ships focus all their firepower towards them. After that, whatever ships I have left will distract the rest of your fleet while my ground forces retreat from the planet. Sometimes, it's not all about winning, sometimes you have to make sacrifices to defend your people, no matter the cost.

Yes, that is true. But do you want to sacrifice your ground forces or you fleet is the real question. (even though you could end up sacrificing both) I would sacrifice nearly anything to keep my heroes alive!

I would deffinantly sacrifice my ships to help my ground forces leave the entire planet. I might leave a battalion of troops to radio in on whats happening so far after the rest left. But if I have any ships left after the transports full of troops are gone, I'll make them run as well.

If you sacrifice your ships how will you survive an invasion from the enemy. I would rather lose some troops than risk losing a large fleet of ships even if they are only Corvette Analogs.
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/knivesdamaster/tags/sith_omguserbar_member.jpg

Guest JediIgor
Yeah that's a really big flaw in his plan. All you have to do is not follow them into the asteroids and they have to come out eventually or they'll all get blown up by the asteroids.

No, if you're on defense then its a good idea ;).

• 3 weeks later...

I'll have to agree with Garbageben that this is a fair strategy if you're running away, but why not just go over the asteroid field if you're running and avoid the losses that would be incurred by travelling through an asteroid field.

I figure that if I'm running away, I don't want to sustain damage because the enemy is already so much greater than the retreating fleet. I think Han Solo did a great job in the asteroid field in ESB, but remember the odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field are 3,720 to 1.

It's something that I would say is docrinally unsound, but it would be effective to keep the enemy guessing so he's not always sure of what is going to happen. Very ballsey too if I do say so myself.

If you're fighting (insert name here) in space and there is an asteroid field, USE IT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE, ESPESIALLY IF YOU'RE OUTNUMBERED! Well head into the asteroid field and use the asteroids to shield your ships from being blasted to bits if there are larger ships. Even though your ships will take damage from colliding asteroids, they can handle it, depending on their size. You can make half, or any number you want, of the ships protect the other ships by shooting incoming asteroids. The rest will shoot their guns out of the asteroid field towards the enemy ships. After a while, if they have taken loses, they will retreat leaving what ever ships you have left to run away as well, if you want to. Also, use all your single ships(fighters, bombers, etc.) to protect against the enemy fighters.

Does anyone think this is a good strategy?

Well, as the Empire I would proabably bring in, like, 4 Interdictor Cruisers and Bring in 2 ISDs, and if you go into the Asteriod Field I'd blow them up one-by-one using the ISDs and prevent you from escaping with the Interdictors.