Units and time line theory

Jmaster3265

The game only starts 2 years before ANH. A campaign to take over/liberate the galaxy will take time and it really doesn't make sense to have all available unit and ship types available from the beginning.

New units and ships will get researched as the game progresses. I don't know if the player will have control over the research or will just be given new technology.

Missions such as stealing the X-Wing prototype could provide the X-Wing technology earlier than it would come if the mission was either not played or unsuccessful. This kind of mission could also apply to other units and ships too.

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/1135/jmaster3265signew13rd.jpg

Well it orginally belonged to the Empire so well the Rebels stole the Tie Hunter and that was a Imperial design. You make the history and so does the AI or the other player :P

Anyways gotta stop using that excuse so I will say, whatever you do effects the galaxy :P

The Empire would have never gone for the X-wing. They were more focused on capital ship and short range, cheap fighters to support the cap ships. They only started producing shielded and hyperspace capable fighters in quantity after it was far to late and they couldn't afford more cap ships.

Dont wanna start a flame or anything but what do you not get about "What you do effects the galaxy" and ya it might be a Rebel symbol we can still grab it like the Rebels can Destory the Death Star.

Rebels stole a AT-ST so we can use our own tech against them since we had the Arc which now evolved into headhunter then X-Wing.

Ya I might be over using that but thats what Petro/Lec said so if we're both wrong point the finger at the description not the devs :P

To a point we get to decide what to do, remember the limited scope of this. I think I do remember something about not being able to capture enemy ships... I'm going to have to dig that up though. I still highly doubt that the Empire will be able to produce the X-wing, as I really doubt the rebs will be able to produce th AT-ST if thats what you're getting at.

I was getting at that Imperials invented it and the defectors took the plans with them. If they stole it on land we could at least try and prevent them from escaping and re-capture the people who are stealin the plans. That cutscene of the Rebels escaping could be a failure cutscene so then we fail there (50/50 chance) as in using your tech against you.

I'm not making the game (of course) but i'm just thinking what would work in my opinion. Rebels capture anything they can to use against you so they could capture AT-AT's so we could at least try and prevent them from stealing since it would bring more "challenge" to the Imperials besides having the advantage of brute force. Yes it might be weird for Imps having X-Wings but you know their paintjob, black and grey.

Well we dont have the game yet and Petro does so only they know how the plot will exactly work out when you research and stuff like that. Little.B and Junker only had a taste of it.

If a rebel player fails to get the X-wing prototype, I would guess that after a set amount of time (say 20-30 minutes?), you get a message saying "Admiring the bravery demonstrated by your failed strike, the Incom design team has defected to your cause", and then the players gains the X-wing - though 30 minutes slower. Or maybe you just keep trying until you get it.

I imagine that there might be a "Defend Mon Calamari for X time" mission as well to cement the alliance with the Mon Cal and gain access to their cruisers. Possibly also planet-based mission required to gain access to that planet's bonus (taking over Mount Tantiss on Wayland, for example).

Currently waiting to get Age of Empires 3, Dawn of War, and Star Wars: Empire at War

The Imps won't have the X-Wing, 100%. Remember that this is still a game for a big spectre of players, not just hardcore SW junkies. Most players would probably go: "OMG I haev teh X-Wnig, how is taht possible omg omg omg, deez dudes r dumb, teh rebs had teh x-wing duh!"

Well, something like this. :) Not gonna happen, I'm pretty sure. But I don't see why it couldn't be modded in later though. ;)

If a rebel player fails to get the X-wing prototype, I would guess that after a set amount of time (say 20-30 minutes?), you get a message saying "Admiring the bravery demonstrated by your failed strike, the Incom design team has defected to your cause", and then the players gains the X-wing - though 30 minutes slower. Or maybe you just keep trying until you get it.

I like this idea, but at the same time I don't, if you don't have to do the mission to get the x-wing, why do it? Just sending a fighter or two in to get their admiration would work better than sending in a whole fleet to get the plans. If they do it that way I hope they would give you some kind of bonus for getting the plans their self.

Yes, that's a side I didn't think of - I admit it wouldn't really work. Better would probably be just to keep throwing stuff at it until you succede, and have if be un-failable.
Currently waiting to get Age of Empires 3, Dawn of War, and Star Wars: Empire at War