Modding Concern

Dorkthehunter

With so many different mods being planned, it will be very hard to find someone on multiplayer that has the same mods that you do. Why not just make one huge mod? Or if that is already being planned, what are you planning to change?

Protecting the world from those who have an IQ higher than 30! Huzzah!

Trust me...I'm a professional.

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5380/pffuserbar2modnp0.jpg

Well just ask what mod and version other people have when you want to play against or with them.

Well i'm trying to start a mod but nobody wants to join.........

Mod?sorry

Oh god please... Not this again! Go to the mod forum, somewhere in there it gives a good explination.

The many different mods reflect the many different taste of people. While Juggy seems to want to throw everything in, someone might want to focus on Jedi, or another on aquatic combat (dunno why, just throwing out an example.) Now some mods can mesh if they're just adding a new unit or planet and don't try to make a whole new game (commonly referred to as Total Conversion mods, or TC mod for short.) You might get a mod with everything in it, but at least some people will be un-happy with it and try to make their own hence all the different mods.

I don't throw everything in, just most.

Also all you'd need is to find people wit hthe same mod you have and want to play. Mod updates are pretty big so chances of you not hearing about one would be very low.

Mine is an Expansion mod btw, just a very big expansion mod, close to being a total conversion.

Mod?sorry

Oh god please... Not this again! Go to the mod forum, somewhere in there it gives a good explination.

The many different mods reflect the many different taste of people. While Juggy seems to want to throw everything in, someone might want to focus on Jedi, or another on aquatic combat (dunno why, just throwing out an example.) Now some mods can mesh if they're just adding a new unit or planet and don't try to make a whole new game (commonly referred to as Total Conversion mods, or TC mod for short.) You might get a mod with everything in it, but at least some people will be un-happy with it and try to make their own hence all the different mods.

That's the problem. There will be so many types and styles of mods that you will rarely be able to hook up with someone online that has all of the mods you do.

100th post! Whoooooooooooooo!

Some other members and I are trying to be superheroes and save the forums. But we can't do it on our own. We need your help! Join us!

But you asked why not make one big mod. I tried to explain why that won't work. I think (from what I've seen thus far) Juggy's mod may be the best bet for that, but you can't really tell which mod is going to be the "top dog" at this period of time.

Okay. But can't we keep the number from 1-4 and then just add on to those 1-4 when we come up with good ideas instead of having a lot?

You don't have to have ALL the same mods that the other person has. Typically you can only have 1 mod installed at a time. I'd assume it'll be the same for EaW also since they made C&C.

but you can't really tell which mod is going to be the "top dog" at this period of time.

This is correct but if I had to say I'd pick my mod. :D I'm also looking forward very eagerly to 2 others.

You don't have to have ALL the same mods that the other person has. Typically you can only have 1 mod installed at a time. I'd assume it'll be the same for EaW also since they made C&C.

Now it all makes sense! Someone could've told me that you could only have one at a time. Still, keep the number low!

Now it all makes sense! Someone could've told me that you could only have one at a time. Still, keep the number low!

:( My brain... I must realize not all people mod as much as I do, but still...

This is correct but if I had to say I'd pick my mod.

I'd be shocked if you didn't! :D

It's like running for some office and not voting for yourself.

The only game I do any sort of modding on is the GB editor. (if you can call that modding....i probably shouldn't)

As for keeping the number low, that won't happen becuase everyone will have their own things. Even if its just a personal mod or a "Balance mod" people have different opinions.

My mod is just a very complicated expansion mod. we're going to try and cram as much stuff as possible without going off course from the story.

What you're going to see very early on after the game is released and even up to that point, you're going to have maybe 6 major mods already in production(including mine). these will be the major players and the premier mods people will play becuase of their depth.

Afterwards expect Balance mods and simple addition mods. Later you'll see Total Conversions more indepth.

I'm expecting good mods from the community. :D

A mod can only change as much as the game allows it to. Not just appearance, but just about every aspect of a unit, powers, anyhting as long as the game allows it to be done.

I think Petro is taking a good step and making every aspect as moddable as possible as it will extend the life of the game, maybe even as long as 10 years as C&C has had.

Didn't petro tell us they would use xml files for the moddable content ? So it would be very similar to the way freelancer could be changed. It is very likely that almost everyone who has at least a basic knowledge of scripts would be able play around with this, even if things like making own ingame movies are just hard work.

as for online play:

just stick to the original version - it's most likely the only version you will get good games /decent opponents ;)

While it is true that the release version (with its inevitable patches ;) ) will be the most balanced, that is not to say that none of the mods will be balanced themselves. You are taking a chance on that part, but that is also a price to pay to play the mod as well.

I look forward to modifying a mod (most likely Tides of War unless they do this themselves) to put all of the movie EpIV - VI units in the game and configuring them according to canon. This will probably not be the most balanced mod unless I can provide the balance for the rebellion in terms of their sabotage and general sneakiness. <--- This will probably be an important component to the sides balance in the retail game as well.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

and tie intercepters

Evacuate, in our moment of triumph. I think you overestimate their chances. :)

Please can you post a comment on My clone story, in fan fiction. :)

http://pff.swrebellion.com/index.php?topic=2306.0

(\_/)

(O.O)

(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination