Looking ahead: Expansions

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but it seems as if most RTS games eventually come out with an expansion. The only problem seems to be that there are already mods being made for EAW that would cover just about anything an expansion would cover....

thoughts?....

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, having the game only go to ANH makes this more curious. Should an expansion start at end of ANH and go to ROTJ it would only have 6-7 more units to add to the game (Plus anymore Petro wants to invent) but would have to remove more units than that which were no longer used. So they would be releasing an implosion, not an expansion. However, if you were to start with the Thrawn era (Which is what i think a lot of people expected) then you would have to have all the units that you would have "researched" and "built" between ANH and ROTJ available at the start. It would be strange starting an expansion pack, all the sudden having access to some pretty important ships like the bwing and SSD that weren't available in your initial build. And starting at ANH and going "through" ROTJ into the thrawn era would of course make even more problems. I see the expansion pack situation as being rather problematic at this point timeline wise.

For an expansion you've got to remember the framework is already in place for the game, so the actual creating of the engine won't have to be done again in such a way. Sure they might have to adapt it slightly, but since the main bulk of it's already done it would give them more time to focus on the other areas.

I would suggest it as beginning of ESB to end of ROTJ, but considering how many planets and units they already have in game (A-Wing, Hoth etc...) it might be more benefitial to them to expand it into the EU a bit. They'd have to be careful with what they chose to do from the EU, but as long as they don't go stupidly far there are a good deal of units/planets to include.

"And the moral of the story is: Appreciate what you've got, because basically; I'm fantastic." ~ Holly, Red Dwarf

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Lord_Darkmark/Forcedbanner01.jpg

http://www.starwarsforced.co.uk

This idea is not my own, but DMUK's:

He/she suggested that they will release an expansion pack or two that will include not only new vehicles and ships to suit the new time era, but also will have a few more planets added in as well, creating a larger universe.

Hmm I was going to make a thread about this today.

I would hope that if they made and expansion they wouldn't have it start at ESB. I want to play from a few years before ANH all the way till ROTJ. That way you would get all the heros and ships and planets (Tarkin, Alderaan, Acclamators) I don't want anything to be excluded.

So yea just an add on to the game, no new time period, I want to play as the game should have been played.

but let us hold off on our xpack ideas now, the game is not even out yet! it has like what5 months to go? oonce we are all masters of the game or crave more then lets revisit this thread.

but for xpack.....

like others have said, the inclusion of more planets is good, i wouldnt worry about units, those could be modded in, but i would like new features in the xpack, like how the cforce could be more inclusive in your battles,new story and etc.

I've have you now - Lord Vader

Well I think that we will have expansions if the game will sell well. Expansions are possible "if" ... and that is a certain fact.

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams"

Petroglyph FF Admin.

Next Christmas would probably have the first LEC Expansion. Maybe some sort of Clone Wars Mod. Maybe Lucas will make one of our members Mod a licensed Xpack!!
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/knivesdamaster/tags/sith_omguserbar_member.jpg

Next Christmas would probably have the first LEC Expansion. Maybe some sort of Clone Wars Mod. Maybe Lucas will make one of our members Mod a licensed Xpack!!

I would hope not, there will already be a lot of clone wars vehicles, it would literally be going backwards. If they have an expansion it should add to the current game not create a new one. If they do a clone wars version I imagine it would be an EAW 2: the clone wars.

The announcement of the next project for Petroglyph and their relatively small size would lead me to believe that there will be no expansion pack for EAW unless it is done by a different developer for LEC. This is of course possible, but I think that the way Petroglyph is doing EAW with the extreme moddability, there will not be a need for an expansion.

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

This is of course possible, but I think that the way Petroglyph is doing EAW with the extreme moddability, there will not be a need for an expansion.

Mods are nice, but they never seem to have that official feel to them. So do we have something planned post EAW, you betcha! Instead of focusing on the future though, I rather zoom in on the present and make a fun solid strategy game fans can enjoy. =)

Delphi-PG

Game Designer/Community Rep

http://www.petroglyphgames.com

There are no official expansion packs announced yet, anything being created is third party.

Is this you "annoucing" it then? :lol:

Mods are nice, but they never seem to have that official feel to them. So do we have something planned post EAW, you betcha! Instead of focusing on the future though, I rather zoom in on the present and make a fun solid strategy game fans can enjoy. =)

Or is more a long the lines of free downloads...? or a combination of both!

doubt you can answer any of this at this time, but just throwing it out there to discuss.

Yeah, that's one that irks me with alot of games these days, as soon as the first one is out, they're already announcing the sequel.

Just let the thing run for a few months at least before asking for more. =P

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/CptK/StarCruiser.jpg

No, let's discuss this right here right now.

Come on, let's start it, come on.

>_>

<_<

Yeah, ok then. :P

http://www.lfnetwork.com/images/lfnlinker.gif

Star Wars: Empire at War.Net Moderator

&

SWGalaxies Moderator

Co-Leader of The Affiliates! -A-

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity!

- May the pants be with you!

You mean in EaW2?

Not likely.

I heard rumors it's going to take place more arond the Clone Wars period. ;)

http://www.lfnetwork.com/images/lfnlinker.gif

Star Wars: Empire at War.Net Moderator

&

SWGalaxies Moderator

Co-Leader of The Affiliates! -A-

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity!

- May the pants be with you!

You mean in EaW2?

Not likely.

Hmmm, lots of room there to mess with continuity. Anyone feel cheated out of seeing the Clone Wars? I know I didn't envision the money-grubbing, hollywood mold crap that we got shovelled when Obiwan was telling luke about his father being a jedi knight fighting in the clone wars in ANH.

Arg..... /rant protection engaged shutting response dowwwwwwwnnnnn...

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

Heh, I was just jesting there, but since we're discussing the CW, I was surprised to see so many droids as well as clones.

I guess the rationale was that before the CW, "normal" armies and droid armies were all there was on a galactic scale. With the clones, you've suddenly got a new galactic military power, being able to grow and breed biological troops to operate more like their mechanical counterparts.

The battles felt more epic than most of the OT ones, so they got that right, at least. ;)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a242/CptK/StarCruiser.jpg

You mean in EaW2?

Not likely.

Hmmm, lots of room there to mess with continuity. Anyone feel cheated out of seeing the Clone Wars? I know I didn't envision the money-grubbing, hollywood mold crap that we got shovelled when Obiwan was telling luke about his father being a jedi knight fighting in the clone wars in ANH.

Arg..... /rant protection engaged shutting response dowwwwwwwnnnnn...

That is why Lucas is coming out with a half hour TV show series all in CGI called the Clone Wars. That way he can milk more out of us fans! (along with the Live action one that looks to be about Boba Fett)