stormtrooper helmets

Evilwookie

i'm sure we've all heard jokes about how storm troopers can't see with their helmets on, but thinking about that, what use DO their helmets have? i mean they don't deflect shots, and it does cut down vision, so why do they have them like that?
The Rain God

Supposedly, the Stormtrooper armor is the pinacle of military technology, at that point. Stormies have full holographic knowledge of the battlefield they're in, armor that can fully absorb small scale blaster fire below the rifle level, full NBC protection, and can even survive the vacuum of space for up to 20 minutes...

...and yet they still can't shoot straight.

They most likely can't shoot straight because it's probably very distracting seeing a whole holographic battleground in front of you. Or alternatively, they were maybe just rotating the view to get the perfect angle to shoot and got it stuck in some bizarre 270* angle.

That'll teach them to read the user's manual.

"And the moral of the story is: Appreciate what you've got, because basically; I'm fantastic." ~ Holly, Red Dwarf

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Lord_Darkmark/Forcedbanner01.jpg

http://www.starwarsforced.co.uk

Or maybe, when we usually see them, they're against a hero important to the plot and thus stand no chance. Remember the assault on the blockade runner in Ep. IV? They kick much butt if I re-call right. I'm sure they're the best standard troops in the galaxy, but when they go against a important plot figure they're going to be nothing more than fodder.

Their armour really sucks lol :lol: because even though it should absorb blaster fire, ive never seen that happen except in video games such as Jedi knight 2 or 1 and that was only for higher ranked troopers.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3269/pffuserbar2globalmodnx9.jpg

> Petroglyph Forums Moderator

> LucasForums Moderator

part of it is because of the main character thing we know that, but wouldn't it just be easier to have some sort of wristband or something that has the battlefield map on it instead of wearing a big helmet?
The Rain God

Stormtroopers arn't standard troops, they are the shock troopers of the Empire. :)

They are a division of their own, seperate from the Army and Navy.

Sorta like the US Marines.

As for the helmet, it's packed with communcations gear and other aids such as infrared, holographic imagery, gasmask, etc....

http://www.lfnetwork.com/images/lfnlinker.gif

Star Wars: Empire at War.Net Moderator

&

SWGalaxies Moderator

Co-Leader of The Affiliates! -A-

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity!

- May the pants be with you!

Well Han Solo upgraded his pistol and Stormtroopers in the movie was somewhat of a blooper but also to show that the Rebels are strong :roll: By the way not every trooper is perfect and think of how many become Generals from the trooper army, well my thoughts anyways.

Also what Jan said above and well its easy to get distracted. People talk at you, you have a map, you have to talk to other troopers, you have to be cautious and alert and also streetsmart. So it like riding 3 bikes or more and some are better then others.

Yeah, the hero syndrome seems to be the case for those poor stormies.

NBC stands for Nuclear Biological Chemical.

As for just the regular Rebels, they do seem to kick so much ass on the Tantive IV. However, it's kind of hard to imagine then how standard, heroeless Rebel forces could defeat those elite Imperial forces on their own.

I suppose just like in real warfare in recent history, they simply depend on the terrain, support from the locale populace, and ambushes.

ok fine stormtroopers helmets have their advantages, but what i'm saying is that they should have a better way to design it so they can see better, and it is true that if there weren't heros in the rebles then they would probably lose, i mean look at all the forces
The Rain God

Who says they couldn't see very well?

If you're thinking of Lukes comment, he probably didn't use it propperly. :D

He shot damn well for not being able to see anything though. ;)

http://www.lfnetwork.com/images/lfnlinker.gif

Star Wars: Empire at War.Net Moderator

&

SWGalaxies Moderator

Co-Leader of The Affiliates! -A-

- What we do in life, echoes in eternity!

- May the pants be with you!

My brief 15 second concocted theory (meaning I thought it up in 15 seconds, not that it'll take only 15 seconds to read) goes as follows:

We hear stormies being good shots from Ben, who analyses that their shots are too accurate to be sand people. This suggsts that usually stormies are crack shots despite their helmets possibly not having a great vison range. The rebels also seem to do very badly against them in ground combat. The Blockade runner, Hoth... They seem to have no problem taking them down. This might be that the rebels are useless fighters, but I'd bet on it just being strong, well trained Stormtroopers. Now consider, where do we see them fight like this... Well, I can think of one constant, it's Vader.

Vader is on the Tantive when the stormies take on the Rebels and Cap'n Antilles. Vader is present on Hoth when the stormies take the base. Guess what, those troops that shot up the Lars homestead and attacked that sandcrawler were sent down by... Ok, maybe not Vader, but some Imperial officer made the decision, and that decision probably wasn't to send down all their rookies.

Now where do we see stormies fight badly? On the Death Star for one, and I can say that their fighting vs Ewoks leaves something to be desired. The troops our heroes run into are hardly crack shots, but they show no signs of being experienced veterans. They're not special enough to accompany anyone special like Vader, and you can never say they were expecting rebels to charge out of nowhere at them and expect to be engaged. For the most part the stormies and Imperials on board are caught off guard completely. It is nice to think that because it was the Imperial's ultimate weapon they stuffed it full of their newbees to keep them safe :roll:. As for Endor, well they're Ewoks, and they outnumbered the stormies to begin with. I bet more Ewoks died that stormtroopers there.

Oh, and Luke was probably just complaining for the sake of it about that helmet. Remember how he complained about that blast helmet to Obi-Wan when he was training with the saber. My guess is he just didn't like to mess up his hair, so he complained whenever he had to wear something hat-like on it. It doesn't mean the Stormtroopers have a bad helmet at all.

"And the moral of the story is: Appreciate what you've got, because basically; I'm fantastic." ~ Holly, Red Dwarf

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Lord_Darkmark/Forcedbanner01.jpg

http://www.starwarsforced.co.uk

I agree, I dont think Luke complaining about the stormie helment meant that others couldnt see well. He just never used a helment before, i mean c'mon he was moisture farmer.

To explain the stormies on the death star, well I have to say the empire wasnt real smart when they picked who got to run their death stars. I mean the not only did the stormies suck, but so did the officers. It got real bad in RoTJ when they were behind schedule AND (this always bothered me) when luke is carrying away their leader Darth Vader noboddy seems to stop and think hmmm thats the rebel Luke Skywalker! I mean c'mon by then his name was probably on a wanted poster in every Cantina in imperial space. sure maybe they were busy fleeing for their lifes but still.... whew.... srry for the off topic rant I just have been dieing to get that out :roll:

> LucasForums Moderator

well actually when i said that they couldn't see, i wasn't talking about luke's comment, but what i am saying now is that they should of had way better security on the death star, cause it was pretty much 5 people got in and out of a huge spaceship without being hit once, and yes i know that obi-wan was a jedi, but they still should of been shot once, but they couldn't because their heroes so it's the "hero invincibility"
The Rain God

Well would you want to mess around with a Jedi Knight thats carrying Lord Vader and die or flee and have a less chance of dieing ? :roll:

Hmmm.... good point there. But it still bothers me lol But if a few Stormies would have teamed up and just started shooting while he was carrying darth maybe they could get lucky and kill him. Wait...... this is imperial stormies im talking about here like they could actually ever even hit a hero please. Yeah your right lol

> LucasForums Moderator

well i liked the stormies helmets in the first 3 movies, 1-3, not 4-6. also i hope that they stay that way in the game! i didnt like the big bulky ones in the 4-6, i know i know, they werent CG but stil....could have been better.
I've have you now - Lord Vader

Personally I liked the helments in episode III. They werent the clone helments but they werent the stormie helments. They were in transition helments. I espicially liked the ones that were modelled after the stormie helments but had color on them. But I really did hate the helments in episode II because they were so obviously CG it made me sick. lol.

> LucasForums Moderator

I also like the Episode 3 trooper gear since it made them more intimidating and also made them look stronger. Stormtroopers just look like troopers with gears.

Stormtroopers just look like troopers with gears.

What else are they? :/

People in them gears but you missed my point. I meant to say that they just look like Stormtroopers with lack of gear when they actually had brains from 2-3

Yeah, the stormies must have got real real stupid between ep. III and VI. I mean in ep II they managed to defeat the seperatist at Geonosis, and in ep. III they managed to take out some Jedi. But in ep. IV they couldnt even hit a farm boy and a princess. lol

> LucasForums Moderator

Yeah, the stormies must have got real real stupid between ep. III and VI. I mean in ep II they managed to defeat the seperatist at Geonosis, and in ep. III they managed to take out some Jedi. But in ep. IV they couldnt even hit a farm boy and a princess. lol

well you all know politicians, they are really..dodgy. and you cant blame them too much for that, as for the farm boy. eehh maybe they wanted to take em to farm somewhere else...good effort on thier parts though, dieing and sceaming and all this and that

I've have you now - Lord Vader