Modding

Jmaster3265

I am confused, what is this talk about how you can mod EaW? I never heard of such a thing or know the definition...i never heard of this to be in any other games ethier except this one. Can someone please explain? :roll:
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/1135/jmaster3265signew13rd.jpg

Well all we know is that is XML and/or notepad, all you do is just change whatever code(s) in there. I hope it has a mod menu where you can choose which game or mod to play or at least not be able to replace the units already in there.

A very good of a game that was made as a Mod orginally would be Half-Life Counter-Strike! It was probably the most successful Mod to this day. So, a good MOD for this game would be like "Battlestar Galactica", "Wing Commander" or "Space above and Beyond". Anyway, that is my two-cents. :twisted:

It's like Alucard said. It's basically just individual customisation of the game to bring in elements that you would like to see. They can exist as one off mods, like adding a ship or station, or simply changing the specs of an existing one. These small changes are simply 'Addons'. Larger changes such as a complete overhaul of the game, replacing sides, units, interface, interactions & animations... this is a 'Total Conversion', commonly shortened to 'TC'.

These are both extremes in the category of being game 'Mods'.

I hope that makes sense.

"And the moral of the story is: Appreciate what you've got, because basically; I'm fantastic." ~ Holly, Red Dwarf

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Lord_Darkmark/Forcedbanner01.jpg

http://www.starwarsforced.co.uk

get wrcraft 3 and go to battle.net

then you see moddings true power, the mauls,the arenas,the sieges, all of it was modded, hundreds of games created by players are played by the players. its a good feeling :)

Hopefully EAW will become the new warcraft 3 in the modding world.

mod

vt.,n. [very common] 1. Short for `modify' or

`modification'. Very commonly used -- in fact the full terms are

considered markers that one is being formal. The plural `mods' is

used esp. with reference to bug fixes or minor design changes in

hardware or software, most esp. with respect to patch sets or a

diff. 2. Short for modulo but used _only_ for its techspeak

sense.

That's the definition.

What it in the end 'does' is anything that the individual person 'modding' is capable of, or wants to do...

"And the moral of the story is: Appreciate what you've got, because basically; I'm fantastic." ~ Holly, Red Dwarf

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Lord_Darkmark/Forcedbanner01.jpg

http://www.starwarsforced.co.uk

The ability to mod can be a very powerful feature. I hope the modding function allows you to add new ground units, space units, heros and planets. Many people have posted they they want this or that or 80+ planets. If Petroglyph does the modding right, the basic structure is delivered with the game and the EAW community does the fleshing out.

From a product development standpoint, it is easy to build the pipes that transfer all the data, but putting together the data can be time-consuming and tedious.

My favorite RTS game was Total Annihilation because of it's variety and variability. Adding versitile modding can cause EAW to surpass my expectations.

Galen

.... :evil:

A gaming modification is where you simply take content of a game and either expand upon it or make something new based on the game's resources. You can literally mod any game if you have the right software and skills. You do not nessicarly have to have any official mod support (like a map editor) to make one, though it does simplfy the task and makes things generally easier. If you have 3dMax or something similar and know a little coding for the game you can add entirely new units to the game, and other than adding new or re-coding old files, never have to touch anything the game provides.

I'm sure Petro will throw something simple in for EaW, like an editor where you can adjust atributes of a unit type without having to go through all the coding. Though I doubt they'll have anything powerful or complexe enough to create entirely new units. Warhammer 40k: DoW had something like that which you can download if you have the game.

.... :evil:

A gaming modification is where you simply take content of a game and either expand upon it or make something new based on the game's resources. You can literally mod any game if you have the right software and skills. You do not nessicarly have to have any official mod support (like a map editor) to make one, though it does simplfy the task and makes things generally easier. If you have 3dMax or something similar and know a little coding for the game you can add entirely new units to the game, and other than adding new or re-coding old files, never have to touch anything the game provides.

I'm sure Petro will throw something simple in for EaW, like an editor where you can adjust atributes of a unit type without having to go through all the coding. Though I doubt they'll have anything powerful or complexe enough to create entirely new units. Warhammer 40k: DoW had something like that which you can download if you have the game.

since when was the concept of modding so hard to comprehend????

btw i love your signature :lol::lol:

• 3 weeks later...
The ability to mod can be a very powerful feature. I hope the modding function allows you to add new ground units, space units, heros and planets. Many people have posted they they want this or that or 80+ planets. If Petroglyph does the modding right, the basic structure is delivered with the game and the EAW community does the fleshing out.

Galen

:arrow: Hello and welcome - Yes Petroglyph did his job right ;) this game will have the most mods ever :)

- The Trivium Organization - Community Manager -

- Petroglyph Fan Forums - CoAdmin & Human Resources Manager -

I had it until I uninstalled homeworld 2 too try and get my Gundam mod to work :'( Stupid stubborn Gundam Mod. O well..........Anyways i'm almost out of disk space so its for the best and I got bored of Warlords mod now. Same thing over and over and soon with this GUndam mod.

Homeworld 2 was a great source for the mod Star Wars Warlords. If anybody has the Homeworld 2 game i suggest you go and download it right now. Its totally free. Here's the sight.

http://warlords.swrebellion.com/

I never played this mod before. How does it compare to the star wars mod for armada II? ( My complaint on the Armada II one is the size of ships and their getting stuck flipping out when coming out of hyperspace and some other pathing issues)

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

It is pretty much the same size ships. It also have those similar bugs too. The ships are small and the game can lag if your system isn't up to date but the big difference is the graphics. It has slightly less graphics than EAW, but its pretty close though. Also the maps are too dang small to see much. You have to learn to adapt to this new feature. But i sugjest you get HW2 then download the Warlord mod.
-Don't do juma and drive-