Is Star Wars perpetually dumbing down?

Naja

The Star Wars universe: getting dumber as time goes on?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. The Star Wars universe: getting dumber as time goes on?

• The prequels were an affront to the SW universe, yes, but Star Wars will remain good as long as the EU remains unique and interesting, and continues to innovate within the Star Wars myth
    • I actually -liked- the prequels, and look forward with absolute confidence to Mr. Lucas' new TV shows
    • The new stuff may be bad, but there's a whole lotta good left in the original trilogy; sadly though, Star Wars will eventually go the way of Star Trek
    • Meesa feel dumber having even SEEN the prequels; Star Wars will fade away after all this televised crap goes the way of the dinosaurs and Lucas dies
    • Mehh, I kinda tolerated the prequels, but they're nothing close to the original trilogy; I have no idea where the Star Wars universe is going - frankly, I don't care - I have a life
    • Star Wars is an unbreakable modern legend, and not even Lucas' stupidity can erase his creations

That new book about Darth Vader's rise to power looks pretty inspiring. :twisted:

Undoubtedly, there's a surge of literature following Episode 3, not to mention a surge of games and releases, and re-releases, etc.

But besides games to keep the EU mainstream, I think that the novels are the truest extension, personally. Or at least the most active agent in Star Wars' longevity, IMHO.

I think that on an average, you will find that the older people will have less and less nice things to say about the prequels. The younger generation tends to buy into the whole hollywood movie mold more than they might realize and this is why Lucas did what he did. He has fallen to the dark side more heavily than even the Emperor. I voted for number 2. The TV series I believe will be Star Wars' downfall. Think about how TV series work. Not fitting for Star Wars. That is the only thing that has kept it so strong in my opinion, is the fact that there were no TV series (not counting animated, haven't seen but they were not as mainstream as thse will be).

My Death Star is bigger than your Death Star!

"The XML is strong with this one!"

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/bg/type/0/teradyn.png

I cannot really speak about the clone wars animation series as it hasn't come over to the UK but the whole Idea has been flawed. I am currently re-reading the whole of the EU book list and have noticed that Luke appears to have been a General in the X-wings series when Wedge and Tycho talk about him . However that is the only mention of him being a general.

There is also the mention of Corran Horn being part of the Rebellion, he joined AFTER the New Republic was declared so how can he be a massive member of the Rebellion??

There are so many problems created in the books that Lucas edited. In the NJO Final Prophecy Tycho is called a general however in the next book he is called a General and a Colonel!!! WTF??? When are the EU books actually going to be written in a format that means that the books follow the same Canon??

There are a number of Stories that have sprung up like the DNT which have ruined the EU feel. Zahn is coming back for the Legacy Series with Anderson and Allston and Stackpole I think. But I'm not sure if I'm going to buy them I'm actually quite scared. I'm Planning NOT to buy a SW book. I have all of those released apart from the Darth Maul 2 and the Younger Reader books but I have read them in the past.

HELP!!! The EU is falling apart. Won't someone please try to stem the bleeding???

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/knivesdamaster/tags/sith_omguserbar_member.jpg

Any EU writen by Stackpole, Allston, or Zahn is all ways good. The Han Solo series by Ann Crispin is good as well. Those all seem to be the best virsons of the EU.

-Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.

J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord Of the Rings

-Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.

General George Patton Jr

-Cool game being made a high school student, I recommend checking it out. 

http://www.spacedoutgame.com/

Matt Castle

MCAS1937@yahoo.com

http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Matt%20Castle

• 2 weeks later...

i agree with mcas1937 that those authors rule Zahn Especially in the Hand of Thrawn and the Thrawn triology. Micheal Stackpole wrote the Rogue Books and started that saga that was followed by the Wraith Books which i dont think were quite as good. but stackpole then continued Corran Horn's story in the I, Jedi book which i thought was well thought out and fitted in nicely as he had done his homework and didnt take the book into to much scientific stuff he just had Luke explain the force how Yoda and Ben told him they were controlled.

Alliston to me was that good a writer as he didnt follow the rogue Squad line but slavaged my view of him when he brought Wedge and Iella together at long last they should have been put together sooner as they are set to be a good charater pairing.

Zahn has a new book out/coming out called OutBound Flight explaining what happened to that project at long last ive tried my hardest to find out the end of that story he started.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n292/Admiral_Antilles/Thrawncopy.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3269/pffuserbar2globalmodnx9.jpg

I Support the Resistance!