How to take out Mon Cal Cruisers and Loads of Rebel Fighters

Foshjedi2004

Guest JediIgor

After I take out the Y-Wings, I would concentrate on the X-Wing instead. Mon Calamari cruisers are notorious for having good shields, but they are also far, far weaker than an Imperial Star Destroyer in terms of firepower. The Imperial Star Destroyer could easily soak up the peashooting MonCal while it helps its remaining TIEs wipe out the X-Wings which could be a real threat with their proton torpedoes. *Then* after the X-wings are neutralized, I would let loose the TIE Bombers and wreak havoc on the MonCal.

It would come just in time too, because the ISD's shields would probably be close to failing at this point, but with the TIE Bombers to soak up some damage and disable the MonCal, it would be only a matter of time before it was destroyed.

Of course in reality, the MonCal would probably retreat if it was smart enough. So to prevent it from doing that, you could release all but a few of your T/B squadrons to fool the Rebels into thinking you have no more bombers left, then hit their engines when the X-Wings are engaged to prevent them from running away.

That is assuming your fighters live long enough to impliment that strategy. Ties fighters are a hell of a lot weaker than X-wings and will get pawned in this game. If the Rebels have even 2 corvettes, it's all over for your fighters.

The thing about Tie fighters is that it costs about 3 time as much to build Ties as it does for X-wings.

You may be asking "how is that?!". Well it's quite simple, for a couple of squadrons of X-wings you need just one ship and if the ship hold 3 or 4 fighter squadrons you can add on bombers or A-wings.

For a tie force to combat that you need, for 2 squadrons of X-wings 3 to one odds. Add A-wings and you probably will need 4 to one odds to have anything left after the battle. Throw in corvettes and you need a good 5 to one fighters to anti-fighter. a corvette is likely worth 2 or three 3 squadrons.

Now you have to transport all of those Ties to the front line. That means you need destroyers and that costs money too.

So to build enough fighters for space superiority, you need about 3 to one in just fighters for every X-wing Squadron. 5:1 corvettes. 6+:1 for combos. And even then you're looking at 50-75% losses if not the whole group.

Ties just don't make it in space combat. Rebellion was the same way.

If there is one way to bring the odds down significantly, you can bring corvettes too however if the rebels make an effort to hit those, you could lose them too.

in the end it takes more money to take down rebel fighters, than imperial ones. It was like this in Rebellion, it'll likely be like this now.

• 3 weeks later...

I would use Joebwans tactic but instead of holding back at first, I would be in medium distance so I can provide cover fire for the ties and hopefully damage the cruisers. Also, why 'soak up the fire' when you can be attacking the cruiser and having the ties attacking the same time? It will be harder to coordinate but thats the best.

I would've quoted but it's too long.

http://www.lucasforums.com/images/avatars/tiedefender.jpgMay the force be with you, always. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/susangillan/EDF-Avatar-X-Wing.jpg

http://www.userbars.com/galerie/images/files/3/4/ffuser.jpg

http://www.pixelpwnage.com/sigs/grouptag.jpg

.Check for Updates!.

..Imperial Assault II Mod for Empire at War!!..

...Empire at War Nexus, Modding for a Galaxy Far Far Away!!!...

....Use the Spell Check Feature People!!!!....

.....International Battlefront Clan!!!!!.....

• 3 weeks later...

well this should be interesting

ISDs are weak against TRD, so have the fighters out early for intercept.

If Alliacne fighter become a problem, you can do 1 of 2 things

Close with the cruiser, the enchanging fire will keep enemy fighters somewhat at bay (for fear fo being hit) or you can run and potshot until reinforcements arrive.

In any case, give the Alliance some of their own medicine. Bombers go after Mon Cal, Interceptors after X and A Wings, let the Ties handle Y Wings

If you happen to have Vader and the 181st, then have them waste the bombers (very quickly) or engauge any enemy hero units.

http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/6843/cygnussiggy5dn.jpg

www.cncnz.com

Fenton

Their arnt intercepters but that could work i think if fighters are givin u trouble engage the enemy fleet a point blank range and use tartians to protect SD from fighters

"Nothing beats a good blaster at your side"

Han Solo

My screen name online is (PFF)Jedi_Mike

• 1 month later...
When engaging a Rebellion fleet with a Mon Calamari (or God forbid more) the crucial tactic is to isolate them. Mon Calamaris do not have a Shield Generator hard-point, thus you cannot destroy their shields. In addition, their special ability is to strengthen their shields. They are a very tough ship to take down. The biggest threat to Imperial capital ships is not from the Rebellion capital ships but from 1) Y-Wings and 2) Missile frigates. A large compliment of TIE Fighters with supporting cruisers must engage and destroy Y-Wings while the Capital ships focus their fire on the larger vessels. Meanwhile, TIE Bombers engage the Mon Calamari ships. After all threats to the Imperial ships have been dispatched, all vessels focus fire on the Mon Calamari. If you attempt to take the Mon Calamari down first, the ship will soak your damage and you will be pounded to dust by proton torpedoes. (This information is from the release version of the game)

When engaging a Rebellion fleet with a Mon Calamari (or God forbid more) the crucial tactic is to isolate them. Mon Calamaris do not have a Shield Generator hard-point, thus you cannot destroy their shields. In addition, their special ability is to strengthen their shields. They are a very tough ship to take down. The biggest threat to Imperial capital ships is not from the Rebellion capital ships but from 1) Y-Wings and 2) Missile frigates. A large compliment of TIE Fighters with supporting cruisers must engage and destroy Y-Wings while the Capital ships focus their fire on the larger vessels. Meanwhile, TIE Bombers engage the Mon Calamari ships. After all threats to the Imperial ships have been dispatched, all vessels focus fire on the Mon Calamari. If you attempt to take the Mon Calamari down first, the ship will soak your damage and you will be pounded to dust by proton torpedoes. (This information is from the release version of the game)

This is correct. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Petroglyph Lead Designer

Las Vegas. Nevada, USA

(This information is from the release version of the game)

This is correct. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Joe - I think you did said it yoru self in the game's manual ;) Nice strategy btw - but I do not agree fully with it. Why ? Those Y-Wings have X-Wings near by.

The Empire should stay defensive early in the battle and try to lure the X-Wings close to take them down - as you move towards the MC. The Y- Wings will blow one or two hardpoints but by the time you are equally matched bythe MC all your fighters will be ready to support you.

- The Trivium Organization - Community Manager -

- Petroglyph Fan Forums - CoAdmin & Human Resources Manager -

And don't forget to go for rocket/torpedo launchers first, then go for lasers and ignore ion canon batteries. In fact you can't take them down before your shields are (taken from my personal experience), so in direct capital ship combat it's useless to go for them because when shields are down ion cannons can't do you any harm. Correct me if I'm mistaken ;)

Those Y-Wings have X-Wings near by.

And every SD has at least one Tartan near by ;)