Campaign vs singleplayer skirmishes

Lytyr

Hey guys! I'll just start off by saying that I really look forward to this game's release, it looks like it will be great.

However, I was wondering something: will there be a galaxy-wide singleplayer mode that doesn't require you to complete certain objectives in order to win, other then eliminating the opponent? For example, in which I can basically attack whatever planets I want in whatever order with whatever units without having to heed the command of Mon Mothma/The Emperor?

Thanks in advance,

Currently waiting to get Age of Empires 3, Dawn of War, and Star Wars: Empire at War

Yup. THe game is persistant though, your actions on one system will effect all others. The only objectives you have are to crush your opponent.

By the way, welcome to the forums!

Very nice to hear that. That also means I can switch planetary systems freely, unless my opponent is attacking me, right? How does the switching work?

EDIT: I've also been reading around a bit, and from the looks of some info, the game looks as if it incorporates an element of turn-based games (ie, I take a turn, fight a battle in RT, go back to my turn, fight another battle, finish turn; opponent has his turn, repeat). Is that how it will work, or will it be a pure RTS game in that myself and my opponent are making decisions simultaneously?

Currently waiting to get Age of Empires 3, Dawn of War, and Star Wars: Empire at War

IM pretty sure it is pure RTS the days in it may be considered "Turns" per se but im pretty sure its a straightforward RTS you can do what you want when you want.

The galaxy map is in real-time. No need for turns. You gather your credits, plan your attacks, and quickly before your opponent ( the computer or another player) attacks first.

"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and am therefore excused from saving universes"-Ford Prefect

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/9513/bam7hn.gif

wow you'll have to be very attentive! In rome total war, we could take our ime to do troops and alll. But in EaW, we'll have to do quick and be attentive to all the planets!
http://www3.sympatico.ca/emilechamma/bannsoldryan.gif

Guest JediIgor
wow you'll have to be very attentive! In rome total war, we could take our ime to do troops and alll. But in EaW, we'll have to do quick and be attentive to all the planets!

You'd think like any other rts they will let you slow down the game ;).

Welcome to the forums, Lytyr!

Let's clear this up, someone (Vader?) said that there will be no objectives at all, right? Well, from what I've heard, I'd say that there are objectives, but nothing you have to complete. I've heard there would be objectives that could help your research etc., but you don't have to do them. And they wouldn't be linear objectives, just something you should do in some planet at some point. If you don't do it, then you don't do it, but as said, it could help your research etc.

Go Leafs go!

Welcome.

I think there will be objectives. Capture the Emperor, Vader, Luke, Leia etc. An array of characters or locations will need to be controlled or even maybe control of x% of the galactic map.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/knivesdamaster/tags/sith_omguserbar_member.jpg

Kinda like Warcraft 3 where on the maps sometimes there are just little objectives you can do to get an item that helps your hero....right?...

i would think so :? but i have very litle idea what i'm talking about...

Ah, sounds interesting! I was only worried about being forced into doing things a certain way, but from the sounds if it, that won't be the case. And definately good to hear it will all be real-time - adds to the strategic depth of the game.

Ah, sounds interesting! I was only worried about being forced into doing things a certain way, but from the sounds if it, that won't be the case. And definately good to hear it will all be real-time - adds to the strategic depth of the game.

Also creates a sense of reality to the game as if you move troops from one area the enemy will exploit this weakened area. However this could allow Intriguing options of Ambushing Fleets. Smashed between the hammer of the fleet you control and the planet they are blockading.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/knivesdamaster/tags/sith_omguserbar_member.jpg

Welcome to the forums, Lytyr!

Let's clear this up, someone (Vader?) said that there will be no objectives at all, right? Well, from what I've heard, I'd say that there are objectives, but nothing you have to complete. I've heard there would be objectives that could help your research etc., but you don't have to do them. And they wouldn't be linear objectives, just something you should do in some planet at some point. If you don't do it, then you don't do it, but as said, it could help your research etc.

I never said there will be no objectivres just the the main one is to crush your opponent. I believe there will be some optional objectives like ship research, etc. But the only required objective to win the game is the destruction of your opponent. I believe that will be the only required one considering there is no set storyline, you make the storyline, you control the events, and the outcome of the war.

Well skirmish could be any of these

-8 players fight in a galaxy with their own planet then take over others and persons

-4 (Rebel) vs 4 (Imperial) and 4 on one planet and four on the other planet. Then you head out on your merry way and conquer the galaxy and try squishing your oppenent.

-Free for all or diplomacy on one or 2 huge maps and pick your units like in Rome Total War or build a base and smash the other enemy battlegrounds style.

or of the above or i'm not even close.