Palpatine's Rise to Power

ImperialJoe985

By the end of the clone wars Palpatine named himself Emperor of the newly formed Galactic Empire but it had taken him almost 13 years to achieve this power.

At the time of the Trade Federation's blockade of the planet Naboo Palpatine was the senator to the planet but he had a secret identity. Known to the Trade Federation as Darth Sidious, Palpatine convinced Viceroy Nute Gunray to carry out an invasion of Naboo. This gave Palpatine a chance to challenge Chancellor Valorum's rule of the Republic. The convinced the senate, with the help of Queen Amidala, to vote in a new leader. The senate voted in favour of Palpatine and he became Chancellor.

Palpatine's rule over the Republic was greatly increased due to the Separatist movement and the fear of a full scale war. The Separatists were led by a sith called Count Dooku, who was Darth Sidious' (Palpatine) apprentice, the Trade Federation, Techno Union and the Commerce Guilds were also members of the Separatists.

Sidious ordered Dooku to create an army of droids for the Separatists to battle against the Republic. With the discovery of this threat Palpatine was voted emergency powers to deal with the Separatist threat. With these powers Palpatine used the clone army (which he had ordered 15 years before the crisis under the name of an old Jedi master who been killed that year) to battle the Separatists. Thus the Clone Wars began.

3 years into the clone wars Palpatine had been granted even more powers from the senate and really already was supreme ruler of the Republic but he had two obstacles to overcome the Jedi Order and the Senate.

In a desperate attempt to take the Republic capital the Separatists attacked the Republic fleet and captured Palpatine from the planet's surface. Two Jedi, Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wann-Kenobi, launched a rescue mission to save the Chancellor. In the process of saving the Chancellor Anakin assinated Count Dooku, all that was left achieve peace was the death or capture General Grievous, leader of the droid armies. Obi-Wann-Kenobi went to Utapau and assinated Grievous, minutes after Master Windu went to strip Palpatine of his power and the Chancellor's secret identity was revealed. In his attempt to kill the Chancellor Master Windu was murdered by Anakin Skywalker who came to save Palpatine his mentor. Palpatine sustained horrific scars from his battle with Master Windu.

The attempt of his life gave Palpatine an excuse to eliminate the Jedi, Skywalker led an attack on the Jedi Temple and the rest of the Jedi spread across the galaxy were dealt with by there clone troopers. Palpatine called an emergency session of congress and announced that the Jedi tried to overthrow the Republic and that the only way the galaxy could ever be save was to create the Galactic Empire, no one opposed and Palpatine declared himself Emperor.

The other Separatist leaders were assinated by Darth Vader (Anakin Skywalker) and peace was achieved for now.

12 years after the creation of the Empire the Galactic Civil War began it was led by members of the senate who opposed the Empire's rule over the galaxy. With the creation of the Death Star, Palpatine could finally dissolve the senate and rule out of fear. He had finally achieved complete control over the Empire.

Is this correct if not tell me what i have missed please

All I wish to add is that Palpatine had been planning this for years before TPM.

Everything else seems over all correct. Though I have heard that the real Sifo-Dyas actually did order the clone army as he had agreed with Dooku about the Senate being corrupt. Palpatine then ordered Dooku to murder his old friend so that their secret was safe. In TPM all he needed to happen was to ensure that Amidala made it to Coruscant safely. Once she had called for the vote of no confidence it did not matter whether she lived or not.

He revealed his true identity to a few people (namely Sly Moore and Mas Ammeda) he pulled the strings of both the Senate and the CIS and manipulated his way into getting emergency powers. I have a feeling if he did not get the powers he needed he could have taken the Republic by Force, combining the Confederacy Forces with the Clones.

There is no emotion; there is peace.

There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.

There is no passion; there is serenity.

There is no chaos; there is harmony.

There is no death; there is the force.

probally he could if he had then he would have just gotten the ds half way through the transition not afterwards n Skywalker wouldnt have turned evil n Yoda would b dead and the Rebellion wouldnt have been born.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n292/Admiral_Antilles/Thrawncopy.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3269/pffuserbar2globalmodnx9.jpg

I Support the Resistance!

:arrow: Anyone knows the full history of Palpatine before his life on Naboo ?! I will love to hear that also.

- The Trivium Organization - Community Manager -

- Petroglyph Fan Forums - CoAdmin & Human Resources Manager -

Supposidly he found a sith holocron on Korriban and was infused with the Dark Side of the Force. He then came back and used mind tricks to get to places of power.
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/knivesdamaster/tags/sith_omguserbar_member.jpg

I have read about several failed elections. The Sith Holocron on Korriban. An assasination involving Amidala's predeccesor King Veruna. I'll post the link once I remember it.

There is no emotion; there is peace.

There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.

There is no passion; there is serenity.

There is no chaos; there is harmony.

There is no death; there is the force.

• 2 months later...