Games All Designers Should Play

Cain

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol. I've played amost every one of those games. Although I think his list of board games is rather shallow. I would have included Risk or Axis and Allies. His FPS list also missed out on the LucasArts games which were and are still quite unique. Dark Forces and Jedi Knight. There still isn't another PFS that mixes saber combat with force powers (or magic if you prefer) half as good as Jedi Knight or it's sequel Jedi Outcast.

Just my two cents

-Katarn 8)

Prince of Persia type game ? This should be interesting. I like the idea of reusing software already being used and using it to the max instead of making new tools which one program could already do. I dont know much but thats my opinion.

So i'm confused your a Tester or a game designer or both ? :?

interesting. Good luck then 8)

:arrow: Thanks I will need it - how old are you ?! Maybe you could also get a chance to work in the industry ?!

- The Trivium Organization - Community Manager -

- Petroglyph Fan Forums - CoAdmin & Human Resources Manager -

:arrow: Maybe Katarn can suggest you a departament were you could apply for ?! testing will be great for ya I think .... for the start.

Ubisoft in Canada ? Dont know where the closest one is near where I live. Testign sounds good just what do I have to do. Theres always a catch and cant be that easy, you test then say whats wrong ?

:arrow:Katarn probablly knows better to explain what testing means.

:arrow: But yes you have Ubisoft in Canada at Montreal (Prince of Presia 2-3). If I will ever get the chance to work in Ubisoft here I will recomand you for there.

Montreal ? That will be a problem, its 3 hours away if I go by bus. Still got one year or possibly 1 and a half year of school left. Hmm to bad there aint one in Ottawa. What can you do these days....... Aight i'll wait for more explaination.

Well for the topic: What game designers should play ? (Hope I didn't missread)

-Codename: Panzers Phase One/Two

-Rise Of Nations (original)

-Battlefield 2

-(and if they like anime) Gundam vs Zeta Gundam for PS2

-Half-Life 2 (Aftermath)

-Jedi Academy (What a great game that was)

You are close to becoming a Jedi designer. :D

-Katarn

...and what a Master I had :) The Master of all Jedis :) even Yoda will be proud.

I will send it today and wait.

Useing my sorces I find out that the second interview for GD last year was to create a document for an AA unit (they worked on some WWII sim then). The time given for writting was 30 minutes. I'm courious what they have this year ?!

There is any rules when writting such a small 1 page doucment ?

Also I have some words that I don't fully get from your explications. I will writte them later.

Thanks Brett :) ... there are no words to express my apreciation :) I feel like I can conquer the world now !

:arrow: The doc has been sent to ubisofty - now we wait to get the reply :)

:arrow: BTW how do you like my avatar ?! it is my design hand made in Windows Paint - it is from my Rebellion Mod :

http://swempireatwar.10.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=29

:arrow: I hope as a designer I will never need to do art again :idea::roll:

EDIT : I've deleted some of my replys here.

WOOT! Congrats!

Well don't expect a quick reply. It may take a month or more before you hear back from Ubisoft.

Yeah, Your Avatar is awesome. I was wondering where you found it. Now I know...

Don't worry about creating artwork. Level designers are not required to create any artwork. (other than maybe creating crude artwork for early mockups) Most Level designed artwork tends to be as bad as programer art :)

WOOT! Congrats!

Well don't expect a quick reply. It may take a month or more before you hear back from Ubisoft.

Yeah, Your Avatar is awesome. I was wondering where you found it. Now I know...

Don't worry about creating artwork. Level designers are not required to create any artwork. (other than maybe creating crude artwork for early mockups) Most Level designed artwork tends to be as bad as programer art :)

:arrow: Yes but until they reply I feel like my hole body is ichy. Loll when they first phoned me was cause my email was missing from my CV and I was phoned by the head of human resources....so now I wait and wait and God I hate waiting.

:arrow: Thanks for the "WOOT" (* How you fully translate that ?! I always wondered) As for my avatar that was an attempt to improve the classical stormy. Basically I flip the eyes, switch them and remouved the mouth (2 days in Paint) but it looks much better than the froggy face - maybe LEC should have developed such a stormy too, but I think I've seen a development in this direction in episode III. The other cool thing was the remake of the Bulwark Battleship etc.

:arrow: If you ever get so bored and feel so retro that you may want to try SW Rebellion you could install the PTESB mod - I've changed 60% of the games art and pics and you start from Hoth now, the Empire has the Executor.... 6 months of hard work.

http://www.swrebellion.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=3

:arrow: I've done most of the work but anyone who helped even gived feedback is there :)

:arrow: BTW Since I know how you look here is me (*In case in 3-4 years we will see each other at E3 :) ):

http://www.swrebellion.com/hosted/cain/images/Battle.Master.Cain.jpg

http://www.swrebellion.com/hosted/cain/images/Prime.Master.Cain.jpg

.... loll same SW style. Hey remember when I wanted to see you dressed up (LEC Forums) in an Imperial Admiral for the next EAW interview ?! I hope you wasn't upset for that then :)

:arrow: BTW you said something about new games you will reveal at Tokyo and next E3 .. what genre are they ?! RTS or RPG ?

PS. I've deleted some of the doc posted here becouse I think is better this way. We have them in emails anyway.

- I enjoyed playing Rebellion but I HATED the interface! Not sure I can force myself to boot it up to try your mod. Maybe..:)

- Good photos. Yeah, It would be good to meet up with you at E3 one of these days. And now I see why you wanted me to dress up as an Imperial officer for the interviews. But it wasn't going to happen. :) I relate more to the Rebellion than the Empire. The Empire has too many simularities to real goverments and histrorical events. I much prefer the grungy mercenary clothing of Kyle Katarn

-Here's the link to the game I'm working on. http://ps3.ign.com/articles/635/635496p1.html

-Katarn

sorry if i'm interupting something

Nice dragon game, I like fantasy stuff including dragon stuff (Like dragons the most). Nice trailer also. So another game to track for the PS3, very nice :) Will make the PS3 more valuable :P

Cain, good luck with the interview :)

Empire at War still on top of my list to get :roll:

:arrow: Well it will tahe you 15 minutes to download the mod and RebEd and install the mod - but you will be surprised to follow the paralel SW story - Luke now follows his father only to retun later - I modified heavly the DLL's to acomodate the story... you will say that its and Exp. Pack made by LEC. But I don't think you will ever feel so retro to try Rebellion again.

:arrow: Ohh I wish I could have seen you in such clothing :) but now is to late :(

:arrow: Dragons ?! I love Dragons ! The last game I've played with them was "The Eye of the Dragon" on PC. Nice but it had tones of bugs. Try to incorporate Komodo Dragon movements with the usual known dragon style. Also use more with different sizes - If you need some feedback let me know when and were.

:arrow: Ghostly_Substance thanks - Now I hope they will call me to the second interview.

You aren't interrupting anything Ghostly. This thread is in a holding pattern waiting to hear what Ubisoft says regarding Cain's LD application.

Glad you liked the Dragon trailer. But it wasn't really a trailer in the traditional sense. It was actually footage while running the game engine! Yes the game really looks like that while playing. I'm a bit shocked that Sony left in the "lair" title since it's not the final name. It's just the working title that we call the product. That reminds me. Here's a small bit of trivia. Empire at War's working title was originally called "Rise of the Rebellion".

Cain your Rebellion mod sounds really kool. I'll have to dig out my copy of Rebellion and give it a go soon.

-Katarn

@Cain, It always takes a long time to do things in the business world even when buying items :? Good luck with it tho.

@Katarn,

-lol Rise of Rebellion, has a nice ring to it but if it only was a Rebellion game.

- Lairs looking good. Seems like theres no humans around and its in ancient times. Theres like a whole army of them. Seems like a pure dragon fighting there. Graphics ingame look amazing, right kind of graphics for a PS3. Also I see this forum likes playing games with me by unmarking topics :?

@Both of you, Whats your favourite game besides Rebellion and EAW, If I can ask that ? :)

The idea behind the name Rise of the Rebellion was that it would be in the unique time era of the birth of the Rebellion. You can direct the Rise of the rebellion or crush it before it can grow and eventually defeat the Empire. But it did sound a bit one sided and that's one reason we didn't keep the name. It was also agrued that the title sounded more approprate for an RPG than an RTS.

My favorite "rencent" game is God of War for the PSII. If you haven't played this game I highly recommend it. It is truely one of the best games ever made. My all time favorites are: Masters of Orion II, CIV III, Super Mario 64, Dark Forces, Dune II & GOD of War!!!

I'm sorry but I can comment on "Lair" other than to say that I'm working on it and that the name "Lair" is a working title. One thing about the Interactive Entertaiment Industry is that you sign a Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA) and if you reveal information that you shouldn't you can get fired or sued. Or both!

Empire at War sounds like a nice name for the game. Rise of the Rebellion, I see your point now and it would of been interesting talk among players.

You like civ 3 ? Sweet I liked it and it was the first RTS I played. I couldn't allie with any AI since they backstabbed me and took me over. Americans just kept harassing me. British as I said took me over along with any other AI. I forgot what its like now since I haven't played in a long time. I had the ripped version of it so once I reformated it was gone. Other then that I just sat on 2 or 3 islands and slowly grew while the barbarians spawned and I took their gold. Cant wait for EAW and Civ 4.

I heard of God of war but never played it but its an interesting game tho.

I understand you cant comment about Lair so I just gave you an opinion/observation instead of a question.

The games I like and have:

Silent Hunter 3, Civ 3, Rome Total War, Battlefield 2, Gundam Vs Zeta Gundam, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2.

upcoming games:

Lair, EAW, Civ 4, Need For Speed most wanted, Spore

:arrow: I don't have a PS2 or X-Box - here in East Europe we use only PCs and we have tones of them since they are very cheap :)

:arrow: Anyway my favorite games are :

-SW Rebellion.

-Silent Hunter 2

-IL 2 Sturmikov (Best WWII fighter simulator)

-Civ III.

-Rome: Total War

-SWKOTOR

-Close Combat III

-SW Jedi Knight Series

-SW Battlefront

-Railroad Thycoon III

-Freelancer

-Nexus

-TIE Fighter

-Bridge Commander

-Wing Commander Series

-Pirates of the Carrabiean (The coolest sailing ships simulation packed with action and RPG - kind of a game for a movie).

-Panzer General III

-Neverwinter Nights

-Code Name : Panzers

.... and this are only a few. But the order is random.

And yes I look foward to EAW but I feel already like I have played that :)

Hey Katarn :D you seem to know very well the SW history I think - can you guess where are this guys from ? A George Lucas secret project ?!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/Cain2/PR24.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/Cain2/IR24.jpg

And from what game was this wallpaper ?!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/Cain2/Remnant.jpg

:arrow: ... attention trick questions may be present :)

PS.

BTW I think the guy who made the Interdictor for EAW got his inspiration from my interdictor... or I may be rung of course. My inspiration was the SWR 3D model cause the card was very different.

You both listed Silent hunter II & III. I really enjoyed Silent Hunter I but for whatever reason never tried the sequals. Maybe I'll run out and buy a copy or borrow one from someone at work.

> Pirates of the Carrabiean (The coolest sailing ships simulation packed with action and RPG - kind of a game for a movie).

Did you ever play "Pirates" the remake of the orginal pirates? This is a great game made by the master Sid Meier.

>You like civ 3 ? Sweet I liked it and it was the first RTS I played.

If you liked Civ III you should try the Conquest expansion. It's awesome. It has a Japanese samurai scenario, Roman, WWII, Greek wars, Future and a few more that I'm forgetting atm.

>Interdictor for EAW got his inspiration from my interdictor... or I may be rung of course. My inspiration was the SWR 3D model

Sorry to disappoint you but I believe he got his inspiration from the official materials

> can you guess where are this guys from?

Not from any LucasArts game. The first shot looks like it's set at Yavin IV with images created by you. :) The second shot looks like an image from Galactic Battle Grounds with some modifications. My guess is they are all from your Rebellion mode (The Remnant) as shown in the third image. :D

-Katarn

:arrow: I never played Sid Myers Pirates cause it kills my PC :( My card is to old.

:arrow: Yes you could try SH III :)

:arrow: Yes the mod is mine :) it is the second one after the PTESB :) much like the same one :) Gtg now ...