Start 3D Modelling

Evaders99

• SWR Staff - Executive

How to start 3D Modelling...

(give us your hints, tricks, resources, how-tos)

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

• 1 month later...

Ok, this is how I became a (amateur) 3D modeler. I downloaded XSI Mod Tool and checked it out. I didn't like it at first until I watched the 45 minute tutorial video. After that, I found it is one of the easiest modeling tools on the web. Best part is: It's Free!

Here is the Softimage Site where you can download Mod Tool. There are recommended downloads to fix that fix minor problems or give you more import/export plugins too.

After you get the Mod Tool, find the Noesis Quick Start video for Mod Tool (should be on that site someplace), and sit through the 45 minute video. Yes, it is long, but very very very very very helpful. The program went from confusing, to Blender ending up in my recycle bin :mrgreen:

Hope this is able to turn on some people to 3D modeling!

Now for one of my actual tips (really only for people really[/y] new to modeling). Every model can be made up from smaller objects. Those smaller objects are just simple shapes like spheres, cubes, cylinders, etc. Say you wanted to make a keyboard. First you would say "My god! But there are so many weird shaped buttons there!"

Each button is just a cube with the top pinched in a little. The base of the keyboard is just a long rectangle, then an extruded curve is your wire (unless you are a lucky person with a wireless keyboard :x ). By the way, extruding is slightly more complicated than a regular shape, but still very simple. Depending on the program, the way you extrude shapes and curves is different. For XSI Mod Tool, it is in one of the videos from Neosis.