What about Trejiuvanat's Avatar?

Guest Scathane

Do you think Trejiuvanat's Avatar is scary?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Trejiuvanat's Avatar is scary?

• No, Trejiuvanat himself is much scarier.
    • Yes, but not as scary as Trejiuvanat himself.
    • Neither. As Jahled says: bundle of cabbage radiates more dread and fear than the dude's avatar...

I can imagine the Gamorreans liking more template zones... Europe perhaps?

Actually it's raining here. And it's raining a lot. After 11 am it rains until 6 or 7 pm. And eventually it rains at night too.

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the kind of thing in the tropic. But of course Puerto Rico had an island climate. San José, is in a valley about 1600masl, and it is relatively cool and humid...

That's the kind of thing in the tropic. But of course Puerto Rico had an island climate. San José, is in a valley about 1600masl, and it is relatively cool and humid...
Point. Hey, Trej, since you live in Costa Rica, are there really islands off the coast in the Pacific that are owned by different people/companies/corporations and not just by a nation?

That's what they said in Jurassic Park. I don't think that Michael Crichton is the type of author to blatantly lie about something like that.

Lost a planet Master Obi-Wan has, how embarrassing. - Yoda

Do not count a human dead until you've seen his body, and even then you can make a mistake. - Bene Gesserit saying

WEll there you have it then: He lied. There is only one island in the pacific ocean that belongs to Costa Rica. Isla del Coco, an UNESCO World Patrimony, about 300 nautic miles from the coast. Ah and there's supposed to be a tresure buried somewhere, every now and then some crazy idiot offers the government a project to look for it. The government turns every offer down.

Unlike what Jurassic Park shows San José is NOT at the coast it is in the middle of a Valley. Unlike what JP II showed there is no archipielago of five island and Ticos (slang for Costa Ricans) do not speak like the fisher in the movie, the actor was probably mexican, as his accent suggested. We Ticos, dislike mexicans and their accents. We arrogantly say that we have the best spanish in the world. Unlike what JP III says the Costa Rican government has no army, much less any force that could `prevent anyone from entering such an island.

Guest Scathane
That's what they said in Jurassic Park. I don't think that Michael Crichton is the type of author to blatantly lie about something like that.
Recheck your sources, wormie...., or recheck you ability to assess... Have you read The Andromeda Strain??? :?

Actually no I hadn't. Sorry about that, but I assumed that an author who seems like a stickler for details would not write something that would be so easily dismissed. I do apologize.

Lost a planet Master Obi-Wan has, how embarrassing. - Yoda

Do not count a human dead until you've seen his body, and even then you can make a mistake. - Bene Gesserit saying

WEll there you have it then: He lied.
Not quite, it's what's called fiction, people, he wasn't actually lying, he was, instead, writing a fictious novel. We could just as easily say Lucas is lying.
Unlike what Jurassic Park shows San José is NOT at the coast it is in the middle of a Valley.
That wasn't Crichton's fault, that was Speilberg's, since it was the movie that showed San José on the coast, not the novel.
Unlike what JP II showed there is no archipielago of five island
Again, that was all fiction.
and Ticos (slang for Costa Ricans) do not speak like the fisher in the movie, the actor was probably mexican, as his accent suggested.
That was probably the fault of some casting person who did not take the time to research into it.
We Ticos, dislike mexicans and their accents.
We Boricuas (slang for Puerto Ricans) dislike Mexicans and their accents as well, so that's pretty common.
Unlike what JP III says the Costa Rican government has no army, much less any force that could `prevent anyone from entering such an island.
Correction, the movie did not suggest that the Costa Rican government had a military, but instead showed a U.N. aircraft at the beginning (a P-3 Orion patrol/recon/observation plane) and the military forces shown at the end were U.S. Marines and U.S. Naval personnel. Remember, the guy Ellie married worked for the U.S. State Department and that was why U.S. Marines and Naval ships showed up to rescue those stranded on Isla Sorna. Of course, that's inaccurate since the U.S. government wouldn't do such a thing, much less mobilize so many personnel to only rescue a handful of people.

Actually no I hadn't. Sorry about that, but I assumed that an author who seems like a stickler for details would not write something that would be so easily dismissed. I do apologize.
He didn't lie, he took creative license, which is his right as an author.

Along with that, I never meant to suggest Costa Rica owned islands as shown in the Jurassic Park trilogy, I was merely asking a question.

I know that an author can never lie, he can only exaggerate and verfremden reality.

I used the term lie because that was what wormie suggest in the post before mine.

Guest Scathane
Indeed. Nevertheless, Michael Crichton isn't as factual as many people may think... Sure, he often intertwines fact and science with his fiction, but that is what his work essentially is: fiction...

Indeed. Nevertheless, Michael Crichton isn't as factual as many people may think... Sure, he often intertwines fact and science with his fiction, but that is what his work essentially is: fiction...
Agreed, but you'll notice that in reality the fiction is meant to take an almost "back story" to the science and meaning behind the story. For example, Jurassic Park is really about the science that it took to clone the dinosaurs and questioning the ethics of cloning and genetic engineering with the dinosaurs as a backdrop that would bring a purpose to get the message across. My story at my website is about a war in the future, but is meant to get a political and social message across.

That's the essence of ficticious writing, isn't it? Adapting your message to our world, or a slightly altered world. Science, ethics, politics and the rest of daily stuff only get exaggerated and altered accordingly to what the author deems necessary for his work.

That's the essence of ficticious writing, isn't it? Adapting your message to our world, or a slightly altered world. Science, ethics, politics and the rest of daily stuff only get exaggerated and altered accordingly to what the author deems necessary for his work.
VERY well stated, Trej, VERY well stated. True, for if an author attempted to make a point but not exaggerate it in some way, no one would take note of that point. But your post, Trej: were you degrading, commenting positively, or commenting neutrally on authors? :?

Guest Scathane
Right said, Trej! Take Gulliver's Travels for instance...