Randomness, The Sequel

Krytos

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's over

This is a very mysterious, esoteric cobservation of something, Mr Krytos

I usually mutter the same thing under my breath when I step of the underground in the morning having been squeezed and shuved like a cow in a kettle market

Well, yes it is a bit esoteric. Ok, how can it not be really seeing as I left it at that :roll:

Buuuut, it was to do with elation (or lack thereof for some weird reason) at finishing Uni. My last exam was on Monday (yes, took me a while to get back here with that) and grad is in decemeber some time.

Happy days? We'll see :wink:

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

... grad is in decemeber some time.

Congrats Krytos!! :D

Hopefully your portfolio is all in order, and ... welcome to the club (I mean workforce :lol: ) :wink:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Yes, that guy looks like a real heartbreaking gigolo. :lol:

Any idea what kind of ship that is? It looks like a freigther. You can see several ships of the same class in the ending sequence of "TESB". It´s because I would like to do a card for it.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7550/frachterqf2.jpg

Who cares at all?! :roll:

It appears at the end of TESB, where you can see the small rebell fleet. There was a freighter with round yellow containers in the x-wing series which looked a bit like that, but I can´t recall its name. Otherwise I don´t think that it´s exactly that type of freighter, rather another one. Though there are some experts here in this forum, I thought some could know something about it. Where is Tofu when he´s needed?
Who cares at all?! :roll:

Buuuut, it was to do with elation (or lack thereof for some weird reason) at finishing Uni. My last exam was on Monday (yes, took me a while to get back here with that) and grad is in decemeber some time.

Congrats Krytos! It's a wonderful day when grad finally happens, but at the same time it's quite a sad day.. because its the beginning of 40 years of 8-5 work around the clock with no winter or summer breaks.. :?:lol: try not to let me scare you too much.. all in all its a great thing.. congrats again krytos! :D

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/akira9949/4297_image.jpg

This disturbs me somewhat. I'm pretty sure that everyone capable of doing it signed a treaty saying they wouldn't at some point in the past, mostly becauce everyone knows it's a bad idea.

I'm not one to get political generally, but has this administration simply given up on subtlety? "Ah, screw it, we're out in a bit anyway. Let's just do all the things we wanted to!".

Ugh...

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

I'd prefer it if the space program was used to head to Mars rather than for military purposes. But this reminds me of the words of Wernher Von Braun, the German rocket scientist who worked for the United States from the 40s and on:

"this man-made island in the heavens...could be the greatest force for peace ever devised or one of the most terrible weapons of war."

In my opinion, to put it rather bluntly, whoever controls space controls Earth. Hands down, end of story. The ability to be able to put a device in space that can rain destruction down on any area of the world in a matter of hours truly is supreme power. It makes a great deterrent, but at the same time it is a horrible weapon to actually use against another country.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

I don't understand what you guys are getting on about :? Provided the story is true, and is the same story you and I have read (meaning the linked story hasn't been edited in the meantime), several countries have that capability now, though not as flexible. To reach any target on the planet in two hours (120 minutes); what's the big deal? An ICBM can reach its target in about half an hour (30+ minutes), and they've been around for ~50 years. Nowhere did the article say anything about creating a Golan battlestation in orbit (or anything of the like), just a hypersonic vehicle launched from a rocket. Ever hear of the ... space shuttle :P Been there, already done that. I think the only difference is being able to deliver a "more conventional" type of muntion than ... let's say, a nuclear warhead :roll:

(*** looks over shoulder ***)

Pssst!

Besides, the US already has an operational hypersonic vehicle :wink: Maybe. I'm not confirming, or denying anything :twisted:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Ahh, but the fact is that it would be impossible to target a missile deliverance system that orbits space, as opposed to a ground based system. Also, the missiles would be harder to track. If its fired from the ground, you can see it heading up and then down, AND you can tell where it is going to land. A missile fired from space would only be going down, severely cutting down reaction time,

My Website

And to add to what Rob said, you probably wouldnt see the flare from it's descent thruster before re-entry for an orbital launched weapon.

The Hypersonic Cruiser missile is actually a better idea however since it`s still not nearly as expensive as putting satelites topside that the Chinese have demonstrated they can shoot down. Cruise missiles can be launched from anywhere in the world and cant be detected by the older ICBM launch detection systems. In a pinch they could be equiped with nukes as an additional deterrant.

Ahh, but the fact is that it would be impossible to target a missile deliverance system that orbits space, as opposed to a ground based system...
And to add to what Rob said, you probably wouldnt see the flare from it's descent thruster before re-entry for an orbital launched weapon...

:? I re-read the story and still did NOT see anything about this being "space based".

"The vehicle would be launched into space on a rocket, fly on its own to a target, deliver its payload and return to Earth,"

launched into space .... return to Earth. :roll:

This disturbs me somewhat.

Ahh, but the fact is that it would be impossible to target a missile deliverance system that orbits space, as opposed to a ground based system.

And to add to what Rob said, you probably wouldnt see the flare from it's descent thruster before re-entry for an orbital launched weapon.

I don't understand what you guys are getting on about.... :? I re-read the story and still did NOT see anything about this being "space based".

I have to agree with Tex here guys, whats the big deal? Not only did the article never once say that it is a permanent space fixture, but it never once said anything about missiles EXCEPT in the TITLE of the webpage... and that was given by someone who is obviously not the author of the article... the article only mentions missiles when it refers to the program that is going to lose funding, not the one that is acquiring funding... oh and to quote the link Tex posted...

the USAF signed a memo of understanding to build a Mach-6 unmanned aircraft called "Blackswift" under the Force Application and Launch from Continental United States program"

This is to say that the other article which states

The new program, dubbed Falcon, for 'Force Application and Launch from CONUS,'

CONUS = CONtinental United States.... they are saying the same thing just different code names... which have a tendency to change over time.. so.. its probably the same thing... a damn plane... so.. relax guys... its ok.. its not the end of the world..

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/akira9949/4297_image.jpg

There are seperate programs to build systems in orbit that would drop heavy penetrators that wouldnt even need warhead because they'd be moving so fast. The other program to go along with that would be another laser based system for protecting the ground attack sat's against Chinese anti-satilite weapons.

EDIT: Here we are The Rods From God

The system would likely be comprised of tandem satellites, one serving as a communications platform, the other carrying an indeterminate number of tungsten rods, each up to 20 feet in length and 1 foot in diameter. These rods, which could be dropped on a

target with as little as 15 minutes notice, would enter the Earth's atmosphere at a speed of 36,000 feet per second--about as fast as a meteor. Upon impact, the rod would be capable of producing all the effects of an earth-penetrating nuclear weapon, without any of the radioactive fallout.

Theres too much stuff to quote so Im not gonna do it.

The system mentioned will go to orbit from earth. Seeing how it will take two hours, I assume that once in space it will remain in orbit while acquiring targeting information and what not. After firing off its payload, it can return to Earth to be rearmed. This has military implications written all over it, and I dont see it firing anything else from space but missiles (unless it is a newly devised laser beam).

My Website

There are seperate programs to build systems in orbit that would drop heavy penetrators that wouldnt even need warhead because they'd be moving so fast. The other program to go along with that would be another laser based system for protecting the ground attack sat's against Chinese anti-satilite weapons.

EDIT: Here we are The Rods From God

The system would likely be comprised of tandem satellites, one serving as a communications platform, the other carrying an indeterminate number of tungsten rods, each up to 20 feet in length and 1 foot in diameter. These rods, which could be dropped on a

target with as little as 15 minutes notice, would enter the Earth's atmosphere at a speed of 36,000 feet per second--about as fast as a meteor. Upon impact, the rod would be capable of producing all the effects of an earth-penetrating nuclear weapon, without any of the radioactive fallout.

First off, these "articles" are over 2+ years old, and nothing about them since? Might want to take a good hard look at the source :?

Secondly: The Rods From God; rip off of the Larry Bond novella "Lash Up" published in 2001 (4+ years prior to the "article") in Combat compiled by Stephen Coonts.

Thirdly: Space-based weapons have been banned by treaty since 1967 (Outer Space Treaty). I seriously doubt the US is willing to violate the treaty and face world scorn just to have this as a "deterrent".

So again, space-based - NOT, ground-based - more than likely, if it's being done.