Battles

Guest Scathane

I usually fight myself, cause you got better chances there. If you let the AI fight, it gets at least one chance to attack, even if withdraw and you the damage you take there is usually bigger.

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5183/animated9pn.gif

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif

Guest Scathane

I always resolve them automatically. The reason why is probably because I view characters as the main plot of the game. With that in mind, I should probably rephrase the question accordingly:

What do you guys think is the main asset of the game (i.e., which features do you use to win: resource management, fleet management & battles, character management, etc.)?

I usually play them myself.

I see chars as an important part of the game, but not more important than fleets opr resources.

You need to balance things down.

You can use chars to expand (diplomacy, insurrection) and sabotage the enemy. Once there are no neutral planets, you need to colonize, which means to create a colonizing fleet and troopers. And you still need an apt star fleet to protect you worlds. You need resources for that, you cannot simply have 14 or so shipyards and cons yards on every planet.

And you still need your characters when you're conquering worlds.

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

Guest Scathane
I agree. Still, I find that characters are most important. When playing a game I spent more time on my characters than on anything else. I mean, I let the robot do the resources and troops, I do the ships myself, but I do not spend much time on the composition of my fleets, for instance.

Interesting...I've never heard of anyone who didn't concentrate on fleet management. Characters are great for just about everything, but watch that you don't completely concentrate on them or you'll find several Super Star Destroyers plodding around the galaxy laying waste to your systems!

I spend quite a bit of time on characters, but I still fight every battle instead of letting the AI determine the result. It's just more fun watching my fleets of Star Destroyers pummel the pitiful Rebellion. :twisted:

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.--Napoleon Bonaparte

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.--Robert McCloskey, State Department spokesman

Support the USA!

Oh, I totally agree! But I think most people think it's too slow a process unless you build a fleet and meet the enemy.

You have certainly suggested a great strategy for making the game very fun. I commend you on your patience! :D

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.--Napoleon Bonaparte

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.--Robert McCloskey, State Department spokesman

Support the USA!

Sabotage mission are fun to use. I send them to disrupt known locaitons of Imperial build-up. Then I come with my fleet and take out what wasn't destroyed by the saboteurs...
http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

Guest Scathane
Oh, I totally agree! But I think most people think it's too slow a process unless you build a fleet and meet the enemy.

You have certainly suggested a great strategy for making the game very fun. I commend you on your patience! :D

Well, of course this isn't the only thing you do. You also reek havoc on Empire planets by changing their diplomacy. You see, the problem I have with Empire fleets is that they move around a lot, so I was often pointlessly chasing them with my Alliance fleet.

And, I probably must admit that even in expert mode, the computer opponent doesn't build real large fleets. Playing a human opponenet would be quite different (sabotaging 30-40 cheese wedges would even be too much for Luke).

I also use characters quite a bit, but I manage fleets, troops, and resource developement myself as well. In combat I generally let the A1 handle things and it works well. Since I build the fleets I am sure they are able to decimate the rebels even if the A1 is controlling the battle for me. I find that the robot doesn't handle garrisons or resources the way that I would, so I do that manually. I can't see using expensive Dark troopers for garrisons when clone stormtroopers at a build cost of 3 and maintenance cost of 1 do the job fine. -Grand Moff Conway

Guest Scathane

I don't know about the Garisson thing, Paul. If I play the Alliance and I let C3PO manager my garrisons, he first produces Alliance Regiments (which are standard). He switches to the Sullustan regiment as soon as its available, which is cheapest and het then switches to the Mon Calamari Regiment as soon as its available since it's best for defence.

Of course, you could argue about the switch from cheapest to best defence regiment, but generally speaking, C3PO does the job fine, if you consider that he's an overall irritating and whining transgender robot...

Threepio may do an OK job for the rebels, but the imperial bot ( forget his name presently) only uses Darktroopers once they are available. I use altered units due to Rebed cards. Start out with Sentry robots or stormtroopers; then clone stormtroopers; next darktroopers; finally World Devestators. The sentry robots are cheapest at 1/1 the devestators are massive and cost 50/25 but are virtually indestructible. Come to think about it I haven't let the bot control things since before I started using Rebed; he'd probably use World Devestators which would be very costly indeed.-GM Conway

Guest Scathane
You should try letting the bot manage things: it would be interesting to see whether he really would choose the World Devastators. By the way, I bet the use of Rebed and other cards just might screw bot management up just a tiny bit.

Imperial World Devestators and the jedi regiment is where my love affair with revolutions's original product end! Both have stupid stats and give the AI stupid options such as garrisoning systems with eight Jedi.

I appreciate we've all followed the exploits of Marvels's the Avengers and the Defenders, but they really wouldn't be up to defending an entire solor system, would they?

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif