jobs

carrieofthewest

there is NO 100% Control for Fire Ants fire ant number 250 to 500 thousand. with a swarm season from feb to nov. one good product is called over and out it's a granular that should be applied once a year. should get a 60 to 70% control. most of the time spraying or granular the top of the mound kills a small percent of them and they move, which you start to chase them in your lawn. it would be better to hire a company to treat your lawn usually can run from $45 to $80 dollars bi monthly but you get a higher control rate almost 100% maybe a mound or two a year.
Wow. HEY! :D Thanks for the advice! I'll look into that! :D

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no problem. hope it works out for you. another good product is called ascend don't think you can buy it on the market. unless there is a do-it-yourself pest control place around. it's a bait usually takes 48 hours to work but does wonders. you just have to stay on top of new mounds as they spring up.

SOCL wrote:

I have a giant fire ant nest in my backyard that eat at me and my dog. What is the best, environmentally-friendly solution (i.e. how do I destroy them without destroying the enviornment)?

I have three methods, but each has its own disadvantage:

1) Boiling water, lots of it (leaves a dead spot in the grass afterwards) :(

2) Pour on some bleach, then add ammonia :twisted: (DON'T INHALE 8O also leaves a dead spot in the grass afterwards) :(

3) Pour on beer (doesn't kill the grass :) , but what a waste of beer :cry: )

They've all worked for me :D

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Okay...

I tried your suggestions.

I drank the beer, fetched the chlorine. Drank another beer, got some gasoline. Drank another beer, found the ammonia. Drank a beer, boiled the gasoline. Drank another beer, set the ammonia on fire. Drank a beer, stepped in the fire ants, got bitten by the fire ants. Drank the chlorine, set the beer on fire....

Sorry, but that was all way too long to hold my attention... I only read the first page-and-a-half... I am currently a Freshmen in High School, and hope to take a Winter/ Spring job while in collage as a ski/snowboard instructer somewhere on the West coast. When i do grow up I'm hoping to land a career as an architect (I have all the necessary CAD skills), or possibly as a mechanical/civil engineer... If all else fails/I feel patriotic I might pursue an engineering career in the Navy and become a SeaB as my father before me.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Time to be BEAKed!!! :twisted:

I am currently a Freshmen in High School
Freshman? Or are there many of you? :twisted:

while in collage
It would probably be neat to be in a collage, but most people go to college after high school. :twisted:

as a ski/snowboard instructer
Hey, rock on! :D

I might pursue an engineering career in the Navy and become a SeaB as my father before me.
Nice choice. My dad was in the Navy until he got tired of it and decided to switch branches to the Army.

Upon looking back at the fire ant issue: I have a great solution: Put on a pair of thick gloves, grab a shovel, and shovel the whole ant hil and underlying network of tunnels into a trashcan. Close the lid and lock it. Leave it for a few days until everything is dead. Throw it out. Put some sod in the hole left behind, and voila: Problem solved. You can also do that with any of the other soluntions... Dig out the dead part and sod it, that is. Not too much work, though you can break the shovel whilst doing that (I speak from experiance. Deep, narrow holes are hard to dig.)

12/14/07

Speaking of jobs... I tried applying to the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, but dammit, they wouldn't take me--said my math scores are too low. :x Damn math, I've always hated it and always will!!! :x

I have a really hard time with Math to. You are not alone!

http://www.dinochick.com/dc_saber_banner_02.gif

Drank the chlorine, set the beer on fire....

Drank the chlorine and lived to post afterwards...SOCL must be superhuman, or something like that...

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Drank the chlorine and lived to post afterwards...SOCL must be superhuman, or something like that...

No, I just worked at a pool for the majority of my teen years. You grow immune to chlorine after a while.

No, I just worked at a pool for the majority of my teen years. You grow immune to chlorine after a while.

He speaks the truth. After enough Peanut Butter & Jelly & Chlorine sandwiches from your siblings your immune system overcomes it.

As far as Math goes: I like practical math. Stuff such as factoring a trinomial into two binomials confuses the hell out of me and is rather pointless in my opinion. Woohoo, you solved the problem, which means that you've essentially re-written it in a different way!

Edited by DarthTofu

12/14/07

He speaks the truth. After enough Peanut Butter & Jelly & Chlorine sandwiches from your siblings your immune system overcomes it.

This reminds me of the time I was working on the chlorine and acid pumps at the back of the pool I used to manage. I was trying to fix the stupid pipes when suddenly one of the chlorine ones burts, shooting chlorine everywhere. I took me a while to get it fixed, but I finally did it. When I stepped outside, I started talking to one of my guards and pointed across the pool for her to go fetch me the hose, then I noticed something funny about my hands--white bubbles. When I examined the bubbles, I realized that they weren't bubbles at all, but rather my skin fizzying under the extremely concentrated chlorine. 8O After that, I washed my hands and had some bloody (not literal) nice red marks that revealed I had lost quite a few layers of skin.

Ah, good times. :lol:

As far as Math goes: I like practical math. Stuff such as factoring a trinomial into two binomials confuses the hell out of me and is rather pointless in my opinion. Woohoo, you solved the problem, which means that you've essentially re-written it in a differant way!
You already confused me...

How do you think I felt in eighth grade? And that was with me missing two days of class because of being sick/having to go to an orthodontist appointment! Confused the hell outa me then and still does... As I said before, it's pointless math. Geometry is almost entirely useful math (I've used trig and area formulas and such so many times in drafting that it hurts) All in all about half* of the algebra you learn is good, and all of the geometry that you learn is good.

*You get half of your algebra instruction in one grade if you're me

12/14/07

As far as Math goes: I like practical math. Stuff such as factoring a trinomial into two binomials confuses the hell out of me and is rather pointless in my opinion. Woohoo, you solved the problem, which means that you've essentially re-written it in a differant way!

I'm disappointed in you SOCL. You had a PRIME BEAKing opportunity and you passed it up. SHAME ON YOU, SOCL!

@Tofu: "differant"?

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

I'm disappointed in you SOCL. You had a PRIME BEAKing opportunity and you passed it up. SHAME ON YOU, SOCL!

@Tofu: "differant"?

8O

That's why I have minions, such as yourself, Grand AKmiral. :twisted:

The math I work on everyday is usually Calculus. It's not easy, but I deal with it.

Hah! "everyday", Mitth? Two separate words, right there!

And as I already stated, Scath, I believe in practical math, not theoretical math which has no real purpose other than to frustrate us...

Edited by DarthTofu

12/14/07

...you use it nearly every day... :)

We do? :?

I haven't needed to find the volume of a triangular prism since the mid-eighties, and the nearest i've come to a square root is pulling something up in my garden...

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

...you use it nearly every day... :)

We do? :?

I haven't needed to find the volume of a triangular prism since the mid-eighties, and the nearest i've come to a square root is pulling something up in my garden...

He has a point.

Now solve for x.