those whacky scientists...

Jahled

Wow... I insipire hate wherever I go! I will be the first to admit (After Jahled, of course) that I did rather overreact. This is a sign of how far we've come scientifically. I sort of have to agree with Krytos, now...

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A sustainable future through advanced technology.

When the level of technology gets high enough we'll be able to more easily wipe out disease and famine. Nanotech is going to significantly change the world. Solar cells that can we weaved into your shirt, near superconductors, cheap electricity to build up not just the third world but developed nations as well. It takes time and this experimentation is a stepping stone.

Stop being so negative people. Time and money are wasted on far more trivial things than this and few complain about those.

I agree with Tofu. Making glasses for flies is ridiculous! Haven't these scientists ever heard of LASIK! :lol::lol:

[/wise old monk mode on]

"one must learn how to crawl before they can run"

[/wise old monk mode off]

:wink:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

>When the level of technology gets high enough we'll be able to more easily wipe out disease and famine.

Not while money/time is wasted on projects like this!

>Nanotech is going to significantly change the world. Solar cells that can we weaved into your shirt, near superconductors, cheap electricity to build up not just the third world but developed nations as well. It takes time and this experimentation is a stepping stone.

How the hell does making tiny fly sunglasses contribute towards this?

>Stop being so negative people. Time and money are wasted on far more trivial things than this and few complain about those.

We should complain because it's stupid projects like this that stop us from progressing in the first place.

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banner_be.gif

This is indeed breaking down into farse. My impression is that a few of you making grand statements about research without thinking about your arguments to much, but that's only to be expected given alot of you are still at school, and your oppinions about life, as if you know all about it, are always entertaining. I think Krytos has made the most intelligent contribution, and i'm glad to see some of you have realized ultimately what he said. How this ever got to the following type of argument with a pair of sunglasses on a housefly is indeed laughable:

When the level of technology gets high enough we'll be able to more easily wipe out disease and famine.

We live in a capitalist free-market. How do you know it wasn't a private firm who commisioned some scientists to do some research; a by-product of which was the original post? Are you suggesting we don't research anything that isn't about disease or famine? You might as well switch off your PC now and go and stare at a cave wall for the rest of your life. Private companys can do what they want with their money, and if it's researching sunglasses suitable for ants or houseflies, then so be it. I you have a problem with that, go and live in such 'enlightened' societies as North-Korea, where i'm told life is really fun.

I could go on more, but justifying posting a picture of a housefly wearing a pair of sunglasses, is like getting sureal, and i'm beginning to feel like the ghost of Salvador Dali is somewhere in my presance...

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Krytos wrote:

... as a developer you'll get to stages where you need to test the product - in this case test your theories and work ... Granted a nano-guitar and glasses for a fly are useless ...

If I were a scientist (working for some big conglomerate, seeking to keep its shareholders happy), developing a nano-robot responsible for removing "plaque" buildup in the bodies' arteries, what are the odds that it'll work perfectly first time out? ... Not good (also, killing patients with experimental procedures is not considered good PR). Perhaps, the robot needs to deploy "arms/legs/pincers/whatever" from its body to do its job. Those appendages need to rotate on a hinge. How do I know my hinge will work? Test a simple hinge; let's say on a pair of miniature sunglasses :wink: What about the structure making up the frame of the robot shell? If I use curved beams for support, will they be strong enough? How about on the miniature sunglasses, the frames be made from the same cross-section as the beams and testing them :wink: Now, how to remove that built up "plaque" on the artery walls without damaging the arteries themselves? How about using an ultra-sonic cleaning device like they use to clean jewelry :idea: To test this we could build a nano-guitar to see if the "strings" will vibrate correctly to produce the necessary effect, maybe a nano-tuning fork would be better :?: Let's test the nano-guitar first and then later the nano-tuning fork :wink:

One could go on and on with different scenarios. Test and re-test to make sure you have everything as best as possible. Plenty of todays common appliances/vehicles/medical gadgets/etc. are improved versions on older models that at one time started off as a "prototype". A prototype (and sometimes several prototypes) to prove that certain aspects of a design would work, or to get them to work as best as possible, before mass producing for the commercial market.

In ten years time, if these items would lead to a nanite procedure for killing cancer, would you then consider it a "waste"?

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Time and money are wasted on far more trivial things than this and few complain about those.

Advertising is a good example of this...

EDIT: Now that I've seen the third page...

...maybe a nano-tuning fork would be better :?:

I want one of those! Can you imagine how high-pitched that would be? :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Edited by Mitth_raw_nuruodo

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Krytos wrote:

... as a developer you'll get to stages where you need to test the product - in this case test your theories and work ... Granted a nano-guitar and glasses for a fly are useless ...

If I were a scientist (working for some big conglomerate, seeking to keep its shareholders happy), developing a nano-robot responsible for removing "plaque" buildup in the bodies' arteries, what are the odds that it'll work perfectly first time out? ... Not good (also, killing patients with experimental procedures is not considered good PR). Perhaps, the robot needs to deploy "arms/legs/pincers/whatever" from its body to do its job. Those appendages need to rotate on a hinge. How do I know my hinge will work? Test a simple hinge; let's say on a pair of miniature sunglasses :wink: What about the structure making up the frame of the robot shell? If I use curved beams for support, will they be strong enough? How about on the miniature sunglasses, the frames be made from the same cross-section as the beams and testing them :wink: Now, how to remove that built up "plaque" on the artery walls without damaging the arteries themselves? How about using an ultra-sonic cleaning device like they use to clean jewelry :idea: To test this we could build a nano-guitar to see if the "strings" will vibrate correctly to produce the necessary effect, maybe a nano-tuning fork would be better :?: Let's test the nano-guitar first and then later the nano-tuning fork :wink:

One could go on and on with different scenarios. Test and re-test to make sure you have everything as best as possible. Plenty of todays common appliances/vehicles/medical gadgets/etc. are improved versions on older models that at one time started off as a "prototype". A prototype (and sometimes several prototypes) to prove that certain aspects of a design would work, or to get them to work as best as possible, before mass producing for the commercial market.

In ten years time, if these items would lead to a nanite procedure for killing cancer, would you then consider it a "waste"?

FLOB ME! What a brilliant post! :)

Guest Scathane
I think you guys all forget the option that perhaps this housefly kept flying into windows and buildings and needed those glasses... :lol:

This is indeed breaking down into farse. My impression is that a few of you making grand statements about research without thinking about your arguments to much, but that's only to be expected given alot of you are still at school, and your oppinions about life, as if you know all about it, are always entertaining. I think Krytos has made the most intelligent contribution, and i'm glad to see some of you have realized ultimately what he said. How this ever got to the following type of argument with a pair of sunglasses on a housefly is indeed laughable:

When the level of technology gets high enough we'll be able to more easily wipe out disease and famine.

We live in a capitalist free-market. How do you know it wasn't a private firm who commisioned some scientists to do some research; a by-product of which was the original post? Are you suggesting we don't research anything that isn't about disease or famine? You might as well switch off your PC now and go and stare at a cave wall for the rest of your life. Private companys can do what they want with their money, and if it's researching sunglasses suitable for ants or houseflies, then so be it. I you have a problem with that, go and live in such 'enlightened' societies as North-Korea, where i'm told life is really fun.

I could go on more, but justifying posting a picture of a housefly wearing a pair of sunglasses, is like getting sureal, and i'm beginning to feel like the ghost of Salvador Dali is somewhere in my presance...

How do I know is wasn't a private firm you ask? How do you know it was? You don't. Your just generalising. My point is that it's a waste of time full stop. No, I'm not suggesting we don't research anything other than disease or famine. They were just two examples. There are many things wrong in the world and these guys want to make SUNGLASSES FOR FLYS!!! What is this contributing towards? BTW, what the hell does me disagreeing with this have to do with me moving to North Korea? I'm not Communist. Stop talking crap, and get over yourself already Jahled. :roll:

http://www.swrebellion.com/images/banner_be.gif

Dude, have you not read anything DarthTex or Krytos posted?

*Sighs*

Right, i'm off, this has as I mentioned earlier all got to wierd.

Calm down folks.

I find it amazing how a pair of sunglasses can cause so much mayhem.

I find the idea amusing and anyway even if that company had decided not to mnake those glasses, would it hae stopped famine in the world? Off course not!

Chill-out guys. :)

I go to the mountains for two days and look how things get out of hand...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

Yeah, really... Deep breath, count to ten... Just... Sheesh. This is turning into ranting on both sides... And I get the feeling that someone might be stealing my title of most immature forum member soon! 8O

12/14/07

Yeah, really... Deep breath, count to ten... Just... Sheesh. This is turning into ranting on both sides... And I get the feeling that someone might be stealing my title of most immature forum member soon! 8O

No such a person can't exist... I hope.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

No such a person can't exist... I hope.

:lol: Damn! You beet me to it M! :lol:

Jahled wrote:

Thanks J :D Occasionally the :idea: hits at just the right time :D

Jahled wrote:

Thanks J :D Occasionally the :idea: hits at just the right time :D

I'm just wishing I had the power of time-travel and could quote it as a bloody DISCLAIMER on the initial post, though. :lol:

I'm so glad I didn't post the link with the IPod re-sized for a termite....

A termite sized iPod? Are you serious? Okay, now that could be useful- we're working with sound circuitry, thus espionage bugs and such. Good stuff to have. Of course, then there's the iPod gluon idea... it fits comfortably in the threads of your jeans and is then impossible to find!

12/14/07

How I love to see so many intellectuals on this site! Such sophisticated arguments! However I do have my own opinion and I will hunt down anybody who disagrees with it!

No, I don't want to hear your opinion, not interested.

You shall all burn in hell, foolish individuals!

*put's up mask, get's sword and vanishes*

A termite sized iPod? Are you serious? Okay, now that could be useful- we're working with sound circuitry, thus espionage bugs and such. Good stuff to have. Of course, then there's the iPod gluon idea... it fits comfortably in the threads of your jeans and is then impossible to find!

Gosh! :roll: Something I completely lied about has met your acceptance! It is of course extremely important to have people spending vast quantities of finance creating something so small that once you struggle to purchace it (it being a tad small), you've either lost it on the bus going home or within your right ear; given you were so excited with your new consumer product, you skipped reading the instructions teliing you in BOLD but friendly letters READ ME FIRST, DO NOT INSERT IN RIGHT EAR! :lol:

EDIT:http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~mm523/b3ta/7-small.jpg

How is it we can hold a mature, calm, controlled RELIGIOUS debate/discussion but when we start talking about glasses for a housefly everyone flies off the handle and goes for eachothers' throats???

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

How is it we can hold a mature, calm, controlled RELIGIOUS debate/discussion but when we start talking about glasses for a housefly everyone flies off the handle and goes for eachothers' throats???

The posts in this section are smaller than those in the relgion one. No, seriously, only Scath and ToguroAni (Wherever he is, now) will take the time to read through a ten paragraph post. I'm far more likely to read ten one-paragraph posts than the one ten paragraph post. Most others are as well.

12/14/07