Emm...

Jahled

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can do it several times from my home computer. I am slowly becoming one with the intraweb.
I presume you mean something else? :roll:

Perv...

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Guest Scathane
I wonder... at least some of you must know the difference between the world wide web and an intraweb, don't you...? :roll: Next thing you guys are going to tell me you don't know the difference between the internet and the web... :roll:

For most of us who have grown up with the internet, the words 'web', 'net', and 'internet' all mean the same thing. Intraweb is an outdated term (meaning not many people my age even know it exists, much less use the word). I admit, I don't know exactly what the intraweb is. I could guess, but frankly I'm too lazy to think that hard.

As I understand it, the web refers to online activities/databases in general (internet, gopher space, etc.) and the internet refers only to the most recent and most popular adaptation of those databases, the one I'm using right now and that is accessable through IE, Opera, Firefox, and other browsers (hence 'internet browser'). Though I'm curious, would you classify ftp as being internet or web?

Edit: Forgot to mention the world wide web, which is different from web in general. WWW is part of the interent, but the internet also uses WWW2 and others.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

Guest Scathane
For most of us who have grown up with the internet, the words 'web', 'net', and 'internet' all mean the same thing.
No, there are those of you who know the exact differences...

Intraweb is an outdated term (meaning not many people my age even know it exists, much less use the word).
No, it's not... :roll:

I admit, I don't know exactly what the intraweb is.
No kidding? :lol::wink: Moreover, there is no the intraweb. An intraweb is a collection of all websites or rather documents that only a specific group (most commonly grouped in an organization) can access over their intranet...

As I understand it, the web refers to online activities/databases in general (internet, gopher space, etc.)
The web rather refers to a service that runs over the internet, just like email or msn... In fact, it connects documents (or parts thereof) in different 'databases' (such as you computers cache) making use of hypertext... So, the web does not comprise the internet...

...and the internet refers only to the most recent and most popular adaptation of those databases, the one I'm using right now
No, the internet or net is a publicly accessible system of (computer) networks... interlinked by fiberoptic cables, antennas, satellites etc... Today, your mobile phone may well be a part of the internet...

... and that is accessable through IE, Opera, Firefox, and other browsers... (hence 'internet browser').
They're called web browsers, dude... :roll:

Though I'm curious, would you classify ftp as being internet or web?
It's not a question of how I would classify it... It is a service that runs over the internet, just like the web...

Edit: Forgot to mention the world wide web, which is different from web in general.
No, it isn't...

WWW is part of the interent, but the internet also uses WWW2 and others.
And, no again... www2 is just a way of referring to a subdomain...

I just couldn't resist the boring explanation... :twisted::wink:

Oh for crying out loud, give it a rest, Scath...

Now Tofu, you know that won't be any easier for Scath than sleeping is to an insomniac. They (Scath and insomniacs) just can't do it ('give it a rest' and sleep respectively).

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

I wonder... at least some of you must know the difference between the world wide web and an intraweb, don't you...? :roll: Next thing you guys are going to tell me you don't know the difference between the internet and the web... :roll:

Well, it's been a while since I've had to define them, high school I think - so here's what I remember (feel free to BEAK away).

The Interenet vs. Web:

The Internet is the medium, a world wide network, containing varying protocols on transferring data across the world from system to system. The Web is just one thing we use the internet for. It's what we the use the most, or at least recognise on the internet (webpages and that lot)

However, the web isn't the only thing that the Internet can be used for - after all, it is in effect a WAN - think email, and chatting programs.

An Intranet is a large, internal network used within large office buldings and other work places that is simular to the internet in use, and in protocols. But, as stated, it's internal and can't be accessed outside of the business (well, that would have changed now with the availability of wireless connections :roll: )

You know, it would be easier just to google or wiki this :roll:

So: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet

and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intranet

I'll read these later :P

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

Meh? I replied to this hours ago. Where did my reply go...?

No matter. Basically, it looks to me like I had my basic info right, but the terms switched. Probably because 'the web' sounds more like the physical part to me then 'the internet' does. Anywho, had I guessed on intraweb, I would have said something about a LAN for businesses, or like the thing schools have. Surprisingly, that would have been fairly close to your definition Scath.

And to defend myself ever so slightly, intraweb is an outdated term as far as my peers and I are concerned...

Intraweb is an outdated term (meaning not many people my age even know it exists, much less use the word).
What I said there stands, not many people my age use the term. We say its the buisness's/school's/whatever's network. After looking around, this isn't technically true, but for the most part I'm not inclined to make sure everything I say is technically true (when its 11:59, I will always say its 12:00 :wink: )

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

Guest Scathane
Oh for crying out loud, give it a rest, Scath...
Never... :twisted::wink:

The Internet is the medium, a world wide network, containing varying protocols on transferring data across the world from system to system.
Yes, as long as you realize that when you hook up any device to an internet connection, that device becomes physically part of the internet. With regard to the protocols it uses, the two most important ones are TCP and IP and they are part of the internet protocol suite, which (I think) can be explained best by comparing it to the OSI model...

We're now running on IPv4, which supports 4.3 billion addresses in total... Since the world population is roughly 6 billion, this isn't enough to provide every single human being with an address... :( So, that's why very clever people have invented IPv6 which will provide us with roughly 50 octillion addresses for ever human alive... :shock:

And to defend myself ever so slightly, intraweb is an outdated term as far as my peers and I are concerned...
Then, unfortunately, you and your peers are wrong... :( Here is the wikipedia article... Where exactly does it say outdated? :roll:

...not many people my age use the term.
I can agree there but, since the term isn't used much among people regardless of their age, it seems more likely that it's jargon. :D So, as Founder of the BEAK Imperium, I must sustain (annoying though it may be...) that outdated is hardly the term to use... :twisted::wink:

What would Scath do if Wikipedia didn't exist!?! :lol:

*Pulls out rocket launcher* let's find out... I'm heading to the host computer...

12/14/07

*Pulls out rocket launcher* let's find out... I'm heading to the host computer...

Stop it might kill him.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

The rocket launcher won't cause Scath's death. The withdrawls might. We'll get a few days worth of his droidish personality before he dies.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

You're not the only one. Never even heard the term until last year. (Believe it or not!)

Its the end of the world as we know it...

...and I feel fiiiiiiiine. :wink:

You're not the only one. Never even heard the term until last year. (Believe it or not!)

Its the end of the world as we know it...

...and I feel fiiiiiiiine. :wink:

Good song, that... Well that's great it starts with an

Earth

Quake

Birds and Snakes and aeroplanes...

12/14/07

Guest Scathane
HURAH FOR BEAKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why, thank you, Mitth... :twisted:

Well, the BEAK Imperium was founded before there was any such thing as Wikipedia... It does make beaking a lot easier, though... :twisted: And you must admit that Wikipedia is great! :D

The rocket launcher won't cause Scath's death.
Of course not! :twisted:

The withdrawls might.
Nope, those won't kill me either, don't be silly! :wink:

HURAH FOR BEAKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

I never heard of intraweb before. And never knew the difference between web-net either. In my brain there is one huge cloud floating with these words on it (some hardware connected with cables). Guess I should read more of Scath's BEAK posts :D

Guest Scathane
That isn't neccesary LLF. You aren't missing out on any of the world's mysteries by not knowing the difference.
Quite the contray... :?

"contray" or "contrary" Scath? What's a contray anyway? :?

EDIT: I just added the quotes, the word in question wasn't capitalized :wink:

Edited by DarthTex
Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

And I missed that?!? Quick Tex, capitalize your first letter in that last post. You can't let Scath BEAK you back that quick.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"