Starting a book

Master_Xan

A fine song... Though I thought it went...

War machine springs to life, opens up one eager eye, focusing it on the sky, ninety-nine red balloons go by.

"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm working on the plotline for my book. I should be starting on the actual book here soon, maybe even by the end of this week.

If I remember to, I'll add some info tonight after work. (anybody notice how I'm always posting while at work? Tells you how much actual 'work' I do... not my fault the store is never busy :roll: )

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

A lot of us either do or used to post a lot at work. Before I got to school that's where I made ALL of my posts from. For most of the first month of my membership this site was what was keeping me sain. I hated that job. I'll never do it again.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

What was this job that you hated so much? The help desk? Human Resources? Depression therapy doctor?

"Now tell me about your problems... I'll, uh, I'll enter all necessary info into my computer..." *begins to read through forums.

"okay, well it all started whe-"

"HAH! A SPELLING ERROR! BEAKING TIME!"

"I- uh, what?"

"Hey, did you go to medical school to study psychiatry?"

"No, but-"

"Then shut you depressed yap about how I'm doing stuff wrong and tell me more about your effing problems, bitch!"

That would be Mitth a psychiatrist... Assuming that he went to medical school... Or should I say "Shcool" in honor of Krytos's pics in the other topic? :lol:

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

I spent 8 hr/day 4 days/week scanning old medical records and journal articles into a computer. It was completely and totally mind-numbing. I've explained this whole thing in another thread. I can't remember which one anymore. I do remember that it has died and started collecting cyber-dust. I'll go searching for it and provide a link if I can find it...

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Ok, my job isn't that boring. Mostly because when nobody is in the store, I've got access to a computer so I'm only limited by the power of my mind... and the fact that I'm not allowed to download or install anything. Good ol' RadioShack... what would we do without them? Oh, right, we'd all go to Best Buy and pretend like we know what we're talking about. :lol:

Here's the info I said I'd provide... just some basics for the book. Remember, everything at this stage is very much "rough", so keep that in mind. Also, comments are great.

Basics: World of men, middle age era but without much technology. There are many myths and legends of great wars in the past, and mixed with these stories are tales of terrible machines capable of destroying entire nations in the blink of an eye.

Most people work hard for their living, either as farmers or crafters of some sort. Merchants and traders travel between towns, selling goods and carrying gossip. There are a few rich or wealthy individuals, sometimes having been born rich and sometimes having made it big as a merchant or gold miner.

‘Scientists’ are a group of people capable of electrical manipulation. Little is known of them, there aren’t many, and they are both feared and respected. Some whisper tales of a time when scientists didn't exist, and there is even one story that claims people more powerful then even the scientists once waged war with them, almost destroying them all.

History: Thousands of years ago, a great war occurred. Man fought against man, and in a final battle nearly everyone was killed. A great sickness arose after the battle among the survivors, and many more died. The survivors moved to a new home and forgot about the war, except in stories. As generations passed, the world became populous again, until war came again, and again the great sickness came. For a second time, mankind was nearly wiped out. This time, when the sickness ended, the survivors swore to never do battle again. Or so the stories go that have become the commonly believed history of the world. Scholars are rare, even fewer in numbers then the scientists (though much easier to find, as scholars do not hide like scientists do), and so this history has little proof, for or against.

Edited by Master_Xan

Radio Shack? You haven't switched over to "The Source" yet? I guess it doesn't really matter, same over-priced product with a different name on the store...

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

"The Source?" Dunno what you're talking about.

Actually, the Shack doesn't have everything overpriced. I thought so for the longest time, but since I've been working there I noticed that we're pretty close on most things, and far more often then I'd ever guess we are even cheaper. Its really funny when we're cheaper then Walmart, and we are on more things then you'd think. Of course, we aren't cheaper or even close on some things... after all, they have to pay for my commission somehow :)

Guest Scathane
Heee we should all start a giant literary project together. Turn it into something amazing!
This is scary..., I was reading along this thread and had exactly the same thought as I stumbled on your post, AI... 8O

• SWR Staff - Executive

No offensive, but the post-Apocalypse land of little technology has been done soo many times in fantasy and scifi. The generations prepare for conflict and war yet again.. its just a tried-and-true, but ultimately stale story. You need something unique to get people interested.

Focus on the characters - making them unique - and you will have a good start.

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

I agree, the post-apocalypse land has been done too much. However, I'm having problems justifying the rest of the story (or redesigning it to fit) in any other setting. If not set in post-apoc, then the only good way to do it would be creating a new world altogether. Which sounds fine, except that too had been done quite a bit. Yet even then it would be all right, but then I can't explain how certain things came about unless they, too, are post-apoc... which just makes things as bad as before.

I'm exploring other options, but for now its post-apoc. Hopefully that will be the only thing I have to do which has been done over and over and over before...

(And characters is where I will spend the most time. I want my characters to be realistic, and most importantly I want the reader to be able to identify with them. Without interesting characters, there won't be a book, but rather a waste of my time.)

Instead of doing scientific-apocalyptic settings you could do religious-apocalyptic... Throw in some angels and demons and it's sure to be a hit... People love their controversy.
"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

lol, AI is right (Unfortunately)... I like the idea of a great sickness... Sounds like a semi-interesting story, but then, I don't watch/read many fantasy books- just Tolkein and Stackpole... Could always throw in another race of your own design, of course :roll: Wink wink, Nudge nudge, know what I mean, eh? Say no more, Say no more! Oh, wait, this isn't Monty Python... Edited by DarthTofu

12/14/07

What do you mean unfortunately!?!? I resent that!

AI, you are better off ignoring Tofu's posts. It's less frustrating (because you're not constantly trying to make sense out of the gibberish), as well as less angering (at least in this case...).

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

AI, you are better off ignoring Tofu's posts. It's less frustrating (because you're not constantly trying to make sense out of the gibberish), as well as less angering (at least in this case...).

I'm saying that its sad how people can take their religion and allow it to be warped and used for the purpose of milking people for money that does not go to any of the things their religion stands for. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough- I just don't believe in people playing off of the fact that most people are Christians to make money, IE Constantine and Dogma.

12/14/07

If it was Monty Python, then that race would be the evil bunnies (after all, that killer rabbit had to come from somewhere...)

The post-apoc world is the only way I can adequetly explain my 'magic system'. But I don't like some aspects of that setting, so I'm looking at other ideas for a 'magic system'. I'm trying to avoid the standard sort of thing, you know incantations and hand symbols that magically make fireballs appear. I was really intrigued by the way it works in one particular novel (I think it was called "Frost," a great read I'd highly recommend). In that one, a mage uses his own body fat as the energy source to do magic, meaning that most mages have an ideal body weight of around 300 lbs. I actually wrote a short story based upon that idea, I might post it here later on to see what you guys think of it. (of course I'm at work right now, so can't)

Anyway, I'd like to know what you think of my current idea for 'magic'. So here's the idea:

(Simple explaination) After society had recovered from the first great war I mentioned earlier, a group of geneticists began illegal experiments involving human implants and altering DNA. Taking information gathered from sharks, they altered the DNA in a human fetus, and when the test children grew older gave them intense training and implants. The result was a human capable of detecting electrical fields put off by animals, humans, or electrical devices. A few subjects could even cause surges and spikes in electronics, or in animals, resulting in drained batteries, fryied components, or in the case of living things, pain or death.

The project was cancelled when the public found out about it. A small group managed to continue the research in secret, and even managed to make it possible with less training and no implants. Through a series of events (including the outbrake of the second war), the researchers ended up dead and the subjects loose. The traits for detecting and manipulating electricty was passed on in their offspring...

(Long explaination) After the first great war I mentioned previously, the world was set back technilogically. After several centuries (I forget the exact timeline, its written down somewhere :roll: ), they were getting back to where they were previous to the war, and in some instances ahead. A group of genetisists began illegally experimenting with implantation and alteration of human DNA, their goal to create a human with a '6th sense'. The first attempts went along the lines of eco location from bats and dolphins, with the idea of making soldiers that didn't need night vision goggles or firemen who could see easily in smoke. After years of research and several failed attempts, the group decided it wasn't plausable, and switched to a different method of getting a '6th sense'. Working with sharks, they were able to successfully modify human DNA and create a new addition in the brain, capable of detecting electrical fields put off by animals, humans, and electronic devices. But the range was very limited, so the group worked hard at amplifying the ability. With implants placed into the brain and intense training, they managed to make it work at longer distances, up to 50 feet in some cases.

With all this research and experimentation, the scientists had amassed quite a bit of information over the years. This didn't go on without the notice of several powerful governments, but they allowed the illegal research to continue because of the implications for the techniques developed (and of course the actual product, humans capable of detecting electrical fields). But towards the end of their research, it was discovered that a fetus with the DNA modifications, and training coupled with implants later in life, could do more then simply detect electrical fields. By focusing on a power source, they could cause surges and spikes, depleting batteries or frying electrical components. Few of the test subjects could do this, but among them were a few who could do this even to animals, causing intense pain, blackouts, and death.

As government officials were wondering what to make of this new development, several of the test subjects escaped. They were caught, but not before displaying their abilities to the public. The public outcry was such that the project was closed down, its scientists jailed and the research moved to secure government arhives. The subjects were executed.

Unknown to the public or even the world's governments, a small group of the researchers escaped with copies of the data. Most of this group retired, but a few decided to continue the research. Over the years scientists joined them, and they saw much success. Their goals were to simplify the process, and to this end they attempted (and succeeded) to reduce the training required and even managed to eliminate the need for implants. They also sought to further amplify the abilities, with a focus on the new possibility of controlling electricity.

Decades after the original project was shut down, world tension was mounting and war seemed inevitable. The hidden researchers had accomplished their goal, and by modifying a human fetus they could recreate the original results, but without implants and with less training then before. In addition, the new subjects could all cause power surges. They took their success to several world governments, but because of fear for public backlash they were turned down. A black ops mission saw to it that this second group of researchers were caught, along with the test subjects and all data. As before, the data was put into secure archives, but because of the sensitive nature of the project this time, the researchers and subjects were scheduled for execution.

War broke out before the executions could take place. The facility where the researchers and test subjects where being held was attacked and taken by a rival country. Captured by another nation's military and with no desire to be lab rats all over again, the test subjects shorted out the circutry on their prison vehicle and escaped. The researchers made it all the way into their new captor's country, only to be killed in a bombing raid.

The traits for electrical detection and manipulation were passed down in the test subject's offspring...

(How's that for a loooooong explaination? :roll: )

Rather good, actually... Though this seems to be much better as a modern novel than a fantasy one :wink: So far as magic goes, I have had a few thoughts on that myself- what baout making it genetic? Certain peoples can perform certain spells depending on where they were born, their parents, etc... I was sort of thinking of doing my own style fantasy novel, "The Justice" reegarding five familys who were to be The Justices, a series of magical tatoos passed from the elder to the younger as they grew more feeble and more capable, respectively.

The tatoos appear on their own, and are skulls on the forarms, hand palms, and chest, which are capable of magically swallowing anything thrust inside them, and are notorious for not letting go and sucking anything partway trapped all the way in- thus a justice can dissapear within himself leaving only the tatoos behind for his next of kin to magically inherit. Just a couple of thoughts.

12/14/07

Gotta hand it to ya Tofu, that is one nasty gif... actually, the genetic approach was sort of what I was going for. Looks like we're both thinking along the same line there. I liked your idea for the tatoos, though I'm not sure I followed you on the whole sucking things inside part.

It is more of a modern idea, the fantasy part comes in later. After that second war, when technology is limited and people are scared of it... As the story goes, the altered DNA ends up being several recessive traits, allowing for different combinations that determine what all the person can do. In very powerful combinations, the person can cause pain and death in enemies, control the electrical impulses within their own body to speed up healing, or do the same thing for an ally. I'm even thinking about the possibility of allowing for limited precognition, based upon reading the electrical impulses of an enemy's brain as they are sent...

I'm saying that its sad how people can take their religion and allow it to be warped and used for the purpose of milking people for money that does not go to any of the things their religion stands for. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough- I just don't believe in people playing off of the fact that most people are Christians to make money, IE Constantine and Dogma.

It doesn't really phase me because I find the institution of religion offending in itself (Not believing in God mind you) so yeah... If I can take advantage of a bunch of saps in commune then well... More power to me.

Frost

The above is a good book for anybody who likes fantasy novels. Its the basis for the short story I wrote, which for your reading pleasure I'll put right here! Tell me what you think of the style (and don't be surprised if its not perfect, I wrote the thing in about two hours). Remember, to do magic you must burn off some of your own fat for energy, meaning the mage in this story is about 300-325 lbs.

(Begin Story)

"Blasted mountain passes. I never did like trying to get around ill-kept, uneven paths, and having them strewn with rocks and up mountains just doesn't help. Nor does loosing my best donkey last month, leaving me with this frail thing that can hardly hold me up! I'd better be well paid for this job, or I'll never have enough for a better donkey, since they probably cost a fortune in this famine-stricken valley."

Johnathan Rubera continues to mutter to himself as his donkey slowly plods down the last stretches of the mountain trail. Vinta will be in sight soon, or so the map John got before entering the mountains shows. That's where he's supposed to go; the town mayor is paying well for anyone who can either help with the famine, or at least deal with a group of brigands who are stealing food.

Muttering as he is, John barely hears the moving of rocks before three figures step into view; one swiftly moving behind him, the other two blocking the path forward.

"Ah, and what is some fat fool doing going into Vinta? Don't you know there's a famine?" This man appears to be the leader, as he is carrying a much finer sword than the other two. He doesn't appear to be much more capable of using it, however.

"Dran, I think this one's a mage..." The second man, carrying a short sword and buckler, doesn't seem to like the idea of you being a mage.

"Nonsense! See his eyes? I heard all mage's eyes glow funny colors, depending on how powerful they are!"

"Dran..."

"I know my way around mages, so you just shut up when I tell you this ain't one. Now fellow, got a name?"

Thinking fast, wondering how many archers there are in the rocks around you and trying to remember why you weren't more cautious, you pretend fear as you answer "J-John R-RRubera. What do you want?"

That last part may have been said to forcefully, but Dran doesn't appear to notice. "All I want is your food, my good fellow. And of course any coins you happen to have. Give me these, and my men and I will impede your progress no further."

The man's accent pulls at you... perhaps a young nobleman, turned bandit? He seems too well educated (and arrogant) for almost anything else. But how would a nobleman get so poor as to not be able to afford food, even during a famine?

"Well, what's it going to be John, the blade? Or the food?"

Stalling by pretending to have problems getting off your donkey (which isn't too hard to pretend, stupid beast), you quickly prepare a few spells. If you don't do this right, you just may pay for your inattention with an arrow in the heart.

"I t-think I'll just g-give it to you."

"A very wise decision," drawls the bandit behind you. He appears to have a throwing knife in each hand. You'll have to deal with him first, while moving for cover in the rocks.

"You must have misunderstood," you say in a shaky voice. "I'm going to give you something, but it isn't food." Forming the spell in your mind, you give voice to it under your breath as you point straight at the knife-bandit. With a jerk, his head snaps back, neck clearly broken. One of your simplest, and most effective, spells.

"He is a mage! Shoot him, shoot him!"

Diving for a large boulder, you make sure to look straight into the eyes of the leader as he advances on you. With the spell nearly ready, all you have to do is mutter the incantation and watch as his screaming body shrivels to the ground. The energy you took more then compensates for the fat you feel burning from yourself as you hold the spell, because this energy is feeding the second, less complicated series of fireballs you're directing with your left hand. Any normal mage would be hard-pressed to keep this kind of spell combination going for long, but with your pendant slightly glowing, your mind seems clear and more than capable of keeping straight the complex life-drain spell from the simpler, but more numerous, fireballs.

The battle doesn't last long. The group was small, with only three archers hiding in the rocks. The first one your eyes found exploded in flame; the second was hurtled from his hiding place when the boulder he was hiding behind exploded. The third was in the process of drawing another arrow (his first having buried itself neatly inside your donkey's belly, which was thankfully between you and the archer at the time), when he too sprouted flames from his limbs as two smaller fireballs struck him.

The short swordsman, seeing his comrades screaming in pain and rocks exploding from the mountainside where your fireballs, still seeking hidden archers, strike, decides he should be elsewhere. You had hoped to keep him alive for questioning, but it's only just barely that you manage to stop him with a lucky ball of flame. Screaming, he drops his sword and collapses. He dies before you can reach him.

"Well, what a glorious welcome party this was. Thanks to Dran's generous contribution, I'm only a few pounds the worse for wear, but my donkey! Better kill it to stop that awful noise..."

It's true; the donkey is making a most horrible sound as it dies. With a quick gesture and a muttered word, John dispatches it with the same spell he used on the knifeman.

"Maybe I can sell the meat, these bandits’s equipment, and get a reward for killing them! I may yet have myself a new donkey after all!"

Feeling pleased with himself at the speedy dispatch of the bandits, he begins collecting useable pieces of the bandit's equipment from the charred remains. It is soon, however, that he begins working his way down the path, much displeased at having to walk with all this junk in his arms, and even more displeased at the thought of returning to collect the rest, carefully hidden nearby. Even worse, how is he ever going to get the donkey meat down the rest of the mountain?

Just out of curiosity... How do people expect the Messiah to come about? I mean do they expect some guy to stand up in church one day and say "Uhh yeah I'm the son of God."... Or do they expect the firey entrance of doom with meteors raining down on the world.

Oh, there is so much you can do with psychic electrical powers! Will get to them when I have the time.

Alrighty, then, now I have time: First, the brain operates a great deal based on electrical synapses firing and such- therefor with proper manipulation, you can read and interpret a person's mind, or cause them to se things that aren't really there IE everything they think they see is what you see, or what someone else sees, thus making them easy as hell to kill.

Also, false memories might be inserted. In addition to this machinery might be operated, and one might even create electro-magnetism! Now I'll see if I can find the concentration to read what you have written- forgive me for having none, I got up at 6AM which is far too early for both myself and my eyeballs... Which are part of myself...

12/14/07

Guest Scathane
I got up at 6AM which is far too early for both myself and my eyeballs... Which are part of myself...
Really? Sometimes when my eyeballs decide that it's far to early for them, they just stay in bed... :lol:

People, with regard to inserting religion or not, isn't it just the fun of letting different contributors choosing for themselves?