Teacher Strike

Master_Xan wrote:

... True, its hard to learn how to type without a computer, but regardless,

What do you mean? Have you never heard of a typewriter? It was the original product that brought about the idea for the computer keyboard. It has been is use for longer than the PC has been around. Sometimes I think the younger generations take too much for granted :( .

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Typing on a typewriter and on a computer are different. Different feel, some different keys, and you can't learn how to operate the software on a typewriter. There's a very good reason nobody ever uses them anymore, and that's because its much harder to correct mistakes. We used to have one, and I did use it a few times. Not nearly as easy as with a computer.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

This is why you will fail as a writer Xan... Theres something strangely satisfying in the nice 'click, click' of the typewriter. Besides lots of writers get new ideas for sentences due to typos... You'd be surprised how useful they can be.

And I was talking about public schools because I'm 16, therefore it makes sense for me to talk about it... Yeehaw?

As for the French teachers, well in three or four years they will no longer be on strike(Hopefully).

"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

Typing on a typewriter and on a computer are different. Different feel, some different keys, and you can't learn how to operate the software on a typewriter. There's a very good reason nobody ever uses them anymore, and that's because its much harder to correct mistakes. We used to have one, and I did use it a few times. Not nearly as easy as with a computer.

Actually the olden typwriters (That Tex used) were entirely mechanical- no little blue screen to indicate that you had made a spelling error, no grammar checkers, and no storage compartment (Yes, some of the closer-to-modern typewriters stored everything you typed like the early computers did). He's talking the "Tick tap type *DING* Tic tap- DAMMIT! I MADE A SPELLING ERROR! NOW I NEED A NEW SHEET OF PAPER!!!1" variety... I've used them before... rather frustrating...

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

That's why I use a typewriter with massive, and clunky keys so you can't hit one down accidentally because it takes the full force of your arm to knock one down anyways... Damn look at those forearms...
"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

Most of the typewriters I've seen had some sort of 'delete' key... you'd move the paper back (either manually or with a key) and they hit the delete. It would stamp the misplaced letter out... usually. Myself I just prefer being able to go back and rearrange entire paragraphs at a whim, not to mention spelling and grammar checks, copy/paste, and all that other jazz.

I know I'm spoiled. Wouldn't have it any other way. :wink:

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

That's why I use a typewriter with massive, and clunky keys so you can't hit one down accidentally because it takes the full force of your arm to knock one down anyways... Damn look at those forearms...

Can I borrow 'em? I think I broke the tip of my nose recently- a kid jumped directly parallel to my face while I was trying to hold a mat full of other people up and snapped the tip- thing bled like hell 'till I got ice on it... And that's Tofu's complaint of the day! :P

Edit: DAMMIT! I wrote rather a large amount which was on topic about teaching methods after this and the post gods choose to delete it! *Shakes fist at post gods and is smote down*

*Pile of ashes speaking* "FINE! IF THAT'S HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT IT, I'LL SPAM 110% OF THE TIME!!!!! :twisted:

j/k, folks.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away