Need Mod Suggestions

Bakhtosh

I'm an old SW: Rebellion pro. When I was in college, it was one of the few games I was passionate enough about to purchase with my own money, rather than wait for Christmas/Birthday.

I pull it out every couple of years to play, but it always leaves a bittersweet taste in my mouth. The game has some real flaws, especially since by the time one side can research & build its way to the best ships, the other side is so weak that it means you never get to see your best go up against their best.

This game is sorely lacking a skirmish mode where you can setup two fleets of your choice and let them fight it out.

So anyway, I was talking about this game on a gaming forum (http://www.octopusoverlords.com) where I'm on staff, and several guys mentioned playing heavily modded versions of SW:R. I found my way here, but now what? I know to download the card & model loaders. Which game settings, cards, and models or TCs do you suggest for someone who wants the feel of the original Rebellion, but better balanced?

I suggest you try downloading a few Tcs (Total conversions). They shall totally change the game and most of the time also the balancing.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

You should play my TC! I re-did just about everything on it. Its a huge download, but it changes the voices, all the characters, most of the ships, and a lot of other things into an anime/video game version of SWR.

http://download.filefront.com/4730503;8e3406b0f228b37b2bcd7551e25a6afc0a02ff2f2d7204e84b3507750caac208bc795ed3ea208f4d

If you don't like that, I recommend the Protectorate TC by Cain. The rebels are supposedly harder to beat.

Count Dooku is the strongest Star Wars character as depicted in the movies. All hail Christopher Lee.

I suggest taking a look around using RebEd. Check out the ships and so forth. If you feel up to editing it, then go for it! You'll never get exactly what you want from somebody else's TC. However, many (if not all) of the TCs floating around here are very fun, and often have things you wouldn't have thought of yourself. Plus you don't have to do much work, and as a lazy guy that can be all the difference. Also, you could get a TC you like and edit that instead of editing the stock values (less editing for you).

If I understand what your problem is, its similar to mine. I was disappointed in never being able to use some of the really powerful ships (like SSD or the Bulwark equivalent). Using RebEd, change the research values for all the ships. Make some of the basic ships take 0 research (B-Frigate and troop transport ships are examples). Then lower the advanced ships, which means it will take fewer successful research missions to get them. If you really wanted to see them, you could even make all ships available at start... though I personally wouldn't want to.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

I dunno, Mad. I turned the harder AI on and still managed to clobber the rebs in 200 days. Of course, I'm big on sabotage, so extra ships don't mean much if they never get to be fielded :twisted:
Count Dooku is the strongest Star Wars character as depicted in the movies. All hail Christopher Lee.

Toguro, maybe u remember me, u helped me to change the voices in my 1'st TC.

Now i want to ask, this MOD made by u, is for Rebellion/Supremacy ?

I mean if i download it, i can load with REBED ?

And an another question : how i can make to work the EAW demo, coz it asks for DirectX9C. I've made several things to launch the game but still i didnt succeeded.

Can anybody help me ?

Hey there, Antonius. My mod isnt loadable by Rebed since Rebed doesnt change everything I changed! Just download the TC and unzip it into your rebellion directory and you'll see the changes the next time you load the game up! Its huge and its fun!

As for EaW's demo, I can't help you since I don't have it. You can download directXC online though, just google for it.

Okay...I've loaded up Rebellion with some custom modifications in the hopes of bringing the big guns out earlier.

But I sometimes get a crash to desktop after tactical combat is over, in the middle of the victory announcement. Is this a common problem? I'm running Rebellion in 95 compatibility mode. Anything else I can do?

And the game looks horrible. Are there updates to background & interface? I think that would make the game 10x better looking.

I sometimes get a crash after a tactical combat as well, just as you describe. Drives me nuts. I've yet to find the culprit however, as it does so with the stock cards loaded, no alterations.

There is one patch for Rebellion, 1.01 I believe. Maybe its 1.1, I dunno. It doesn't do much, but if you don't have it you might as well get it. As for the graphics, you've stumbled into the realm of the Reloaded project, which is trying its best to update the graphics using the same outdated game engine. Other then that, I'm not aware of any graphical improvements... although you can edit most of those files directly, and many TCs have changed them.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"

I've been looking into the crash problem, and I second the patch idea, however, the site I used to get it from is looong since gone, sadly, as for graphical updates, while Reloaded is WIP, I've started a subtopic with the intent on posting ideas for various upgrades in the game, with hopes of hitting on an idea that blows open the gates of the game and allow us to do things never done before.
Beat them? What do you mean beat them?? I want to destroy them all.....

The patch is available here. Rebellion 1.01 Patch hosted by swrebellion.com

And that was already installed before I started having the CTD.

I seem to have eliminated it though. I shut down a lot of my services. I should go back and restart them 1 or 2 at a time until I get it to come back though.

I imagine the major culprits are things like Nvidia Display Driver Service, Automatic Updates, Windows Firewall & ICS, Themes, or Print Spooler.

I haven't had a crash in at least 10 hours of game time since stopping those services. Since it would only happen to me while transitioning from Combat to Strategic View, I'm betting it was Themes or Nvidia...something to do with the display. Possibly it was trying to deal with a resolution change as the screens cycled.

I'd really like just a prettier galaxy image to use as the background. That would make the game much easier on the eyes. Something like this would be great: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0102/m100_hst.jpg

Hey nice idea changing the galaxy, specialy for the eyes, never thought of that!

I think Ive only gotten one crash in the tactical transition and ive done some crazy crap as far as messing w/ the game, I save often and regular, that seemed to help just mid game crashes and slowing tremendously. I aslo have like nothing going on in the task bar area as to minimize virtual memory bogging, im not 100% sure this helps but its worked for me.

Ithink I got to actualy give up on my latest game, Ive mad ep 3 and looks like the good guys got me, I think i just made Fed battleships way to weak, so ive lost a 4 or 5 already, Hell it only started me w/ 1 SD and a galleaon! Never had that little before! The PC realy stuck it to me! Ha!

First game i lost in a while though, I will say this w/ like 10 jedi running around for the good guys sure makes it tough for the poor Sith, ..Hmm?

for me this preticular game Is kinda not realy Revenge of the Sith more like "Pitiful Attempt By The Overconfident Sith To Take Over"! Ha!

Well i can help u :)

The first thing to do is to aquire the REBED program from this site.

After that u launch the program, and u have to click on the DLL Entries button.

Here u right click on a group and say "Add entry" - then u choose "Bitmap"

Now on the right side of the program u have to choose "Strategy DLL" from the list and then at the DLL ID u have to enter 902 - u will see appearing the galaxy picture from the game. Now just right click on the picture and u can load your picture, wich must be a bmp and the size must be 607x437.

Add again a bitmap entry and the enter 903 - the game use 2 of this galaxy picture : one is with u play with, and the other is a grey version of this picture.

I suggest to use PhotoShop, and use this program to take out some color from the original picture u want to use.

I will try to post my galaxy pictures here to can se the difference, but i am not sure i will succeed.

Edited by Antonius

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/antonius_nedel_arcast/g.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/antonius_nedel_arcast/gg.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/antonius_nedel_arcast/gg.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/antonius_nedel_arcast/g.jpg

here are the links to the pics, take them and use the way i told u to see the how is working.

with your picture, u will notice, u have to remake many times until u succeed to arrange your picture to be in the center of the screen in the game.