Is the AI really that bad?

Bateman1982

Hi, I've been playing Empire at War for the last week but I'm finding it rather shallow , though its prompted me to reinstall star wars rebellion after years of neglect.

It seems a lot deeper, with characters able to be abducted then rescued, the loyalty factors etc.

The only thing putting me off getting into the game are the many threads saying the AI is completely useless.

Is this the case?

If so, are there any downloadable patches to improve the AI?

The problem with the AI is that its inagressive and doesn't react to your attacks very well. You can improve it greatly by meddling wit the game stats using RebEd. Check out the Rebellion wiki for more info.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

Hi, I've been playing Empire at War for the last week but I'm finding it rather shallow , though its prompted me to reinstall star wars rebellion after years of neglect.

HOLY COW! Is EaW this bad! :lol:

And after all the hype over the last year around here... :roll:

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

EAW isn't a bad game, its just that it lacks the amount of depth that I tend to enjoy in games.

Good for a quick game of something but there are lots of little things that individually wouldn't matter but when combined they take away a fair bit from the game experience. (e.g. no persistent damage for ships, no negative consequence for using the death star, the very high speed of travel between planets..)

Though I cannot deny there is something satisfying about sending Darth Vader in to personally kill a few squads of rebel soldiers.

EAW isn't a bad game, its just that it lacks the amount of depth that I tend to enjoy in games.

Good for a quick game of something but there are lots of little things that individually wouldn't matter but when combined they take away a fair bit from the game experience. (e.g. no persistent damage for ships, no negative consequence for using the death star, the very high speed of travel between planets..)

Though I cannot deny there is something satisfying about sending Darth Vader in to personally kill a few squads of rebel soldiers.

Fair enough dude! You would have thought LucasArts would have figured there's a market for something very much like Rebellion, only matured by about ten years. Perhaps not. Perhaps quick and easy combat games are the order of the day.

The game's designers were responsible for the highly entertaining Command and Conquer Red Alert titles I believe, which were highly addictive and fun, but as you wisely put it in this context, without much depth. I was led by the over-excited to believe EaW was more.

Increasingly it is nothing of the sort, just an evolved C&C engine in the Star Wars universe with the glow of 2006. Not my Rebellion replacement.

And may Darth bring you all the joy in the galaxy sabering rebel-scum! :wink:

We can make EAW more rebellion like:

1. More units.

2. Real speeds

3. Removed Pop cap

4. 200 Planets

5. Remove all the silly C&C stuff and balance from the eaw game

6. Have in mind the Rebellion gameplay always.

etc, etc.

I estimate that if the SWR modding community wants it ... they could finish such a project in 3-4 months.

- The Trivium Organization - Community Manager -

- Petroglyph Fan Forums - CoAdmin & Human Resources Manager -

We can make EAW more rebellion like:

1. More units.

2. Real speeds

3. Removed Pop cap

4. 200 Planets

5. Remove all the silly C&C stuff and balance from the eaw game

6. Have in mind the Rebellion gameplay always.

etc, etc.

I estimate that if the SWR modding community wants it ... they could finish such a project in 3-4 months.

Sounds good Cain dude, can't wait! :)

:arrow: I usually played the eaw demo with my mods so when I installed the full EAw version I was horrified by the scale ... so I had to do this porting to be able to play it a bit more relaxed:

http://www.swrebellion.com/forums/postt3327.html

- The Trivium Organization - Community Manager -

- Petroglyph Fan Forums - CoAdmin & Human Resources Manager -

The days where a game is perfect out-of-the-box are gone. Publishers don't have the time to make a game like that anymore, there is too much pressure to get the thing out the door. Hence the prolific patching and updates many games experience. The bugs aren't all fixed, but even more so, the balance is usually off (you can get away with that easier then selling a game with lots of bugs). It saddens me, but its become a fact of life. Fortunately for me, I never buy new games anyway, they cost too much. After a year or two, the game is cheaper, the bugs worked out, and the community has made a few good mods to fix up the balance a little.

I haven't even considered playing the EaW demo, much less buying the thing. Not for awhile anyway.

Star Wars: Rebellion, A Field Manual

"O be wise, what can I say more?"