Smuggling ?

Battleborn

Question

I can't remember how many troops are needed on the planet to stop smuggling. I thought I read once on the Home page that it was double the required minimum to keep it from rebelling, but that didn't work. I couldn't get onto the home page tonight so thought I would ask here.

Yes, I know most capital ships will stop smuggling, but I thought having a certain number of troops would too.

Thx

Later

25 answers to this question

• SWR Staff - Executive
If you're so low on loyalty, you'll need 6 troops to maintain order. I don't think you can stop smugglers unless you have a ship in orbit. Best choice: get that loyalty up with diplomats!

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

I was thinking that I read somewhere that if you have twice the number of troops necessary to maintain order on a planet that it would end smuggling. Can't find where I might have read that though, and thinking I just remembered wrong.

Thx for the help

Later

When a planet is low on morale it'll indicate how many troops you need to prevent it from going into uprising, if it's in state of uprising you need twice as many troops.

Perhaps that was what you read....

Depending on the ship class you can stop smuggling, if you're imp, a Carrack won't do you need a Vicotry Star Destroyer, with fighters and troops, at least.

Still diplomacy is the best solution.

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

I found that sometimes starfighters on a planet would stop smuggling. I happened to notice that I built a Tie and at the same time the smuggling stopped. When it happened again I started to investigate and found that generally 3 or 4 starfighters will stop smuggling or it can't be stopped.

Not what I was thinking though, but better than nothing.

Later

I always thought having a certain amount of "detection rating" on a system would stop smuggling. In my experience, depending on the morale of the system, you need a certain amount of troops, starfighters, or starships to end smuggling. If morale is lower, you need more troops, etc. If morale goes up, you need less. As a general rule, 6 troops will keep order, but may not stop smuggling.

Smuggling never happens on a system that has 50% morale or better, so the solution to ending those pesky smugglers is simply diplomacy...or taking over several systems in the sector, which will raise morale on all systems.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.--Napoleon Bonaparte

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.--Robert McCloskey, State Department spokesman

Support the USA!

Yeah, they smuggle resource units...but not very many. I personally like blockading systems better...I may not get the resources, but I get the satisfaction that the Rebs aren't either! :twisted:

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.--Napoleon Bonaparte

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.--Robert McCloskey, State Department spokesman

Support the USA!

Imperial Scum ,you'd blockade systems and allow entire populaces to starve, while glutton Imperial sit on their admiral chairs.

I prefer Imperial populace starving when lots of glutton Mon Cals blockade Imperial system. :twisted::twisted::twisted:

http://www.swrebellion.com/~jahled/Trej/banner.gif

I prefer the subtle way... orbiting a planet with nice Mon Cals, bombard the Imperial garrison and their buildings... until nothing is left. Then again an Imperial planet is freed!

There are some that call this bombardment 'General Bombardment'. And there are some that say that afer several of these bombardments, there is noone alive to be freed. So they say.

Z'anthr saves the world. Sorry about the mess...

Guest Scathane
When a planet is low on morale it'll indicate how many troops you need to prevent it from going into uprising
Where does it do that, Trej?

Guest Scathane
If you go to the troop panel it will tell you at the top. For a planet with high morale, it will be zero. Otherwise, it runs from1 to 12. 12 means you're probably in uprising.
And by the troop panel you mean the tab where I can see which and how many garrisons the planet in question has stationed?

If you go to the troop panel it will tell you at the top. For a planet with high morale, it will be zero. Otherwise, it runs from1 to 12. 12 means you're probably in uprising.
And by the troop panel you mean the tab where I can see which and how many garrisons the planet in question has stationed?

yep... the easiest way to illustrate this is actually to start a new game starting as Imperials ( :? ) then look into a planet what a low status/morale/whatever you wanna call it and look at the troops stationed, there should be a number indicating how many troops are needed. If you then try to delete/scrap one of the units the planet should go into uprising (if not keep scrapping until it do, but don't to many so you lose the planet) the number will instantly change to 12 (which is the number needed to maintain control no matter what)

Jedi Corran Duchai at your service.

There is no emotion; there is peace.

There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.

There is no passion; there is serenity.

There is no death; there is the Force.

In my humble opinion and with 3+ years long experience playing SWRebellion

One can stop smuggling losses if the tractor beam power in the fleet is equal or more than 2.

(1 MonCal Cruiser or 2 Nebulon- B)

(1 Vic or 2 Carracks)

The smuggler leaves the planet, and his cargo (along with his ship) goes straight to the hangar of the waiting capital ship.

I still prefer diplomacy, though.

I like to completely slag a planet of every resouce if i seem to have no support in a system >:)

This tactic was the subject of, or was mentioned in, several threads when I first joined this board. I've never really understood it since, for all intents and purposes, it robs you of potential resources and/or slots to build in the future.

Sure, it's a fast way to rob your opponent of resources and facilities, but it also turns sector opinion against you (if in the Core or a 'High' priority sector), and makes the system completely worthless for future expansion.

I propose an alternative to this "Scorched Earth" campaign. The same thing can be accomplished by blockading the planet (denying materials), and the facilities can be destroyed via sabotage missions, thereby increasing the attributes of the characters involved. You are then left with a system devoid of facilities, mines or refineries, ripe for your conquest and development. You are then free to move on, confident that you have destroyed part of your opponent's capacity to wage war.

Better yet, invade it and take it over for your own, putting your enemies' facilities to your own use (provided you have a decent diplomat to stabilize relations). If you lack the ability to invade, at least send it into uprising so that your foe is forced to dedicate large amounts of troops and/or characters to subdue it, tying up even more resources.

To make a short story long, it just seems to be utter folly to wreak havoc on a system like that, when there is so much more damage to be done by avoiding the "General Bombardment".

But no offense, GalinFarseeker, and welcome to the boards. :wink:

Also, regarding smuggling. There may be something to the tractor-power of the ship. I've defeated an enemy force in a system I controlled that was ~50-50 in it's support. When I moved a few of my capital ships (yet maintained a fleet presence in the system), I got a message that smuggling operations had commenced. I don't recall which ships were involved, but it's another facet of the game to study. :D

Five of the Greatest Lines in the Star Wars Trilogy :roll:;)

-"As you wish..."

-"He's no good to me dead..."

-"What if he doesn't survive? He's worth a lot to me."

-"Put Captain Solo in the Cargo Hold"

-"AaaaaAAaaaaaa!!"

Fett's Vette

The Lyrics

the reason why i prefer the scorched earth policy is simple, it takes MUCH more time to actually take over a planet, let alone a few sectors (especially in my case where the comp is so easy for me i let them get over half the galaxy before i start attacking), and i only use that in the outer rim systems when its getting to endgame and i dont want to bother getting past the defences when i can just blow them up :twisted:

Okay, I can see your point. It's expedient to use that policy, but I still don't quite agree with it. I've got a game currently going (large galaxy, hardest difficulty) in which I've reduced the Empire to four systems (with one of them, Coruscant, blockaded) by the day 357. It's all been through swift and abundant use of sabotage missions on loosly controlled Imperial systems, starting a sector-wide domino-effect of uprisings that they are unable to control so early in the game. That gives me all of their mines, refineries and facilities to do with as I please. Granted, that strategy doesn't work so well in the Rim, but then I rarely let them get that far. :wink:

I think the problem I've always had with giving the AI a reprieve is that it doesn't realize it's been given. It would have been much better if they'd kept the AI from making stupid deployments, like moving capital ships to a blockaded system piecemeal, rather than combining them into one fleet.

-"As you wish..."

-"AaaaaAAaaaaaa!!"

Fett's Vette

The Lyrics

actually the comp can be somewhat challeging if on he=ardest and give till say, day 1000, i just make sure i get some systems i want let them have the rest then let them build while i research and trutle, eventually they will come after you withsome heavy duty stuff (once attacked by a huge fleet with 30+ VSD and 3 SSD)

I'll have to give that a shot sometime. I'm just always so eager to "Cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war". :wink: Besides, there's few feelings in the game to match when the majority of a sector abandons the Imperials and joins your cause because you sabotaged the last unit on a loosly held Imperial systerm in a state of uprising.

But, I'd be willing to be the battles later would more than off-set the lack of early gains. :D

-"As you wish..."

-"AaaaaAAaaaaaa!!"

Fett's Vette

The Lyrics

i can't give you a specific number, but more troops can help. but moreso than that, fighter squadrons and/or a capital ship patrolling the system seems to help more. at least this has been my experience. and i agree with alot of the posts, diplomacy, diplomacy, diplomacy. and try not to spread yourself too thin in terms of maintenance points and raw and refined materials.