Has it happened to you?

Guest Scathane

Guest Scathane

I've been visiting Wikipedia a lot lately.this is due to the fact that recent study has shown that Wikipedia isn't any less accurate than the Encyclopedia Brittanica, as well as the fact that I have been working on the Star Wars: Rebellion wiki.

Anyway, I stumbled on a wiki about the omnipotence paradox (i.e., if God is omnipotent, can he create a rock he wouldn't be able to lift himself?). As I progressed through the article, I learned something new, namely that omnipotent beings can be essentially or accidentally omnipotent. An essentially omnipotenty being is omnipotent all the time, whereas an accidentally omnipotent being is omnipotent for a short period of time. Hmmmm....

I never knew that a being could also be accidentally omnipotent, so I would like to ask: has it ever happened to you? Have you ever been omnipotent for a short period of time?

I think the better question would be 'Have you ever been OMNISCIENT for a short period of time?' I personally don't buy into 'accidental omnipotence'. Either you're all powerful or you're not. As far as being all knowing goes, I supose it could, THEORETICALLY (sp?), be possible to know everything there is to know about a certain/specific subject.

I guess my answer to your original question would have to be 'No.' Sorry I can't back up your research Scath.

Chaos, Panic, Disorder, Destruction.....

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

Commander-in-Chief of BEAK Forces

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Guest Scathane

Well, he actual question of has it ever happened to you was made in jest, Mitth.

Either you're all powerful or you're not.
Well, that's just the thing, isn't it? Philosophers, mathematicians and a whole lot of other scientists with a view on the omnipotence paradox have asserted that it may not be that simple...

Philosophers, mathematicians and a whole lot of other scientists with a view on the omnipotence paradox have asserted that it may not be that simple...

Pray tell, would these be the same idiots that came up with the idea hat the universe just happened to coalesce into the breathtaking spectacle that we see when we look through a telescope? Or when we look at the pictures taken by Hubble? Or perhaps the beauty that has turned a sunset into something that you try to catch w/ your significant other? Or what about just lying (is it laying or lying, I can never remember?) outside under a clear sky at night and marvelling at the sheer peacefulness of the stars?

I don't buy it Scath, plain and simple. I'm a creationist. More importantly I'm a Christian. (Keep in mind everyone who reads this next part, THIS IS PURELY MY OPINION.) There is NO SUCH THING as an 'accidentally omnipotent being'.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

I once thought I made a mistake ... but I was wrong :)
Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

And what form did this not-mistake-mistake take? Did you catch that or should I rephrase it?

EDIT: How about 'what kind of mistake was it Tex?'

Edited by Mitth_raw_nuruodo

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Guest Scathane
I don't buy it Scath, plain and simple. I'm a creationist. More importantly I'm a Christian. (Keep in mind everyone who reads this next part, THIS IS PURELY MY OPINION.) There is NO SUCH THING as an 'accidentally omnipotent being'.
Chill dude, as far as I'm concerned your opinion is cool. But, prithee, tell... is there such a thing as an essentially omnipotent being?

I'll keep this one short and sweet do to the nature of the post Scath just quoted. *offers up a sheepish grin by way of apology* I just want to let everyone know that, despite the way in which I wrote that, I wasn't all that excited when I wrote that post.

Scath, yes I think there is such a thing as an esentially omnipotent being. I won't elaborate at this time, but if someone asks me to I am willing to.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Hate to pop your bubbles, folks, but I have been omnipotent for short periods of time before! As a matter of fact, right now is one of them! I can see all of you, exactly what you're doing right before me- wait, no, that's the TV going in a mirror, nevermind. But I will state this strange, random, and reccuring event that seems to go on around me- whenever I start thinking of a subject it seems, even when a conversation isn't going, someone will strike up that subject, almost without fail. So this isn't necessarily omnipotense, but I have read something somewhere about how people can have certain waves escaping from their brains. These waves bounce around somewhere or something and eventually come back to the source (I think) and some people are capable of interpretting these waves. So either all of my friends are able to hear my thoughts about a subject and strike it up, or else I have an ability to catch other people's thoughts. This happens way too often to be a coincidense in my opinion, though I believe that there's a scientific explanation.

Oh, and just to be a pain, I'll state that I am an atheist and an evolutionist who believes that people who belong solely to the creationist faction are being rather silly. I don't see why creationism and evolution can't go hand in hand. Look at it this way: God creates a couple dozen organisms and gives them some of their abilities. Depending on where they start out, these different organisms adapt differantly, and thus evolve from what God made them into what they are today. There's too much fossil evidense of evolution for me to discount it, but in Mitth's words

THIS IS PURELY MY OPINION

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Oh, and just to be a pain, I'll state that I am an atheist and an evolutionist who believes that people who belong solely to the creationist faction are being rather silly. I don't see why creationism and evolution can't go hand in hand. Look at it this way: God creates a couple dozen organisms and gives them some of their abilities. Depending on where they start out, these different organisms adapt differantly, and thus evolve from what God made them into what they are today. There's too much fossil evidense of evolution for me to discount it....

I've got a couple of things to say to this...First of all we all know that matter can't be created or destroyed, it can only change its form. Keeping that in mind, who's to say that the matter that was used to create this solar system (or even just this planet) wasn't taken from other places in the universe? Why couldn't another planet, or several other planets, have been destroyed and then the remains used to create something else?

Second - There's a technique called Carbon-Dating. I had to know something about it for some science class back either late in my grade school career or early in middle school, which was sufficciently long ago that I don't remember the specifics behind the technique, so I won't even pretend to go into them. Getting back to my point, I read/heard somewhere that some guy's dog died. He decided that he wanted to see just how accurate Carbon Dating was, so he froze the body, then he baked it, and he did all sorts of things to it, finally burying it in his back yard. a few days or weeks later he dug up the body and took it to some scientist, told them he had dug it up in his back yard and asked them to date it for him. They ran their tests and when the results came back, the results said the dog had been dead anywhere between 300 and 500 years. Now just imagine what a world-wide flood would do to those numbers.... To me thats proof positive that science isn't always right.

Third - I had one at one point, I know I did.....guess the family history of Alzheimer's is hitting me at a young age...

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Mitth_raw_nuruodo wrote:

what kind of mistake was it Tex?

There was no mistake. It was during the calculation of the natural logarithm e raised to the exponential power of i (which is the square root of -1) multiplied by pi (you know, the neverending number 3.14159265359...)

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Did you understand the way I had phrased it the first time?

I understood you perfectly. Tex is making my eyes bulge with lack of comprehension! 8O Oh, yeah, and isn't the square root of a negative number an imaginary number? Hah! I feel kind of smart for knowing what an imaginary number is. I have no clue how to apply it, but I know what it is!

12/14/07

Second - There's a technique called Carbon-Dating. I had to know something about it for some science class back either late in my grade school career or early in middle school, which was sufficciently long ago that I don't remember the specifics behind the technique, so I won't even pretend to go into them. Getting back to my point, I read/heard somewhere that some guy's dog died. He decided that he wanted to see just how accurate Carbon Dating was, so he froze the body, then he baked it, and he did all sorts of things to it, finally burying it in his back yard. a few days or weeks later he dug up the body and took it to some scientist, told them he had dug it up in his back yard and asked them to date it for him. They ran their tests and when the results came back, the results said the dog had been dead anywhere between 300 and 500 years. Now just imagine what a world-wide flood would do to those numbers.... To me thats proof positive that science isn't always right.

I'm not sure of how true this story is, but it shows why carbon dating is not used as frequently any more. Another reason is that it is only accurate to a certain number of years (1000 if I'm not mistaken). There is another method of radioactive dating using Potassium-Argon. This is far more reliable and can date things in the millions of years in age.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

Guest Scathane
...omnipotense..., coincidense..., differantly..., evidense
Are you able to edit your own typos, Tofu? :lol: BTW, I thought you were essentially omnonsense.... :twisted::lol:

I've got a couple of things to say to this...First of all we all know that matter can't be created or destroyed, it can only change its form. Keeping that in mind, who's to say that the matter that was used to create this solar system (or even just this planet) wasn't taken from other places in the universe? Why couldn't another planet, or several other planets, have been destroyed and then the remains used to create something else?
Sure, I bet that has even happened somewhere along the line. The main question is whether something was created or created by an omnipotent being...

I was accidently omnipotent once. I passed gas, and altered the timeline so that GL never made the prequals.

It ended in a massive world war, with Willie Nelson and his army fighting for the remnants of Iowa against Bill gates, and his never ending supply of badly prgrammed war-bots.

I found it wrong, somehow, so I belched and made everything right.

I once knew a great man. Nothing got to him, and he always smiled. May he forever rest in peace, knowing fully well that his freinds shall remember him.

I was accidently omnipotent once. I passed gas, and altered the timeline so that GL never made the prequals.

It ended in a massive world war, with Willie Nelson and his army fighting for the remnants of Iowa against Bill gates, and his never ending supply of badly prgrammed war-bots.

I found it wrong, somehow, so I belched and made everything right.

Oh, so I'm not the only one that happens to.... :D

BTW, Mith, we're studying radioactive dating currently in Biology, so I can sort of explain this to you: Radioactive dating is our most effective method of dating, but it can be off by a lot... As in by a couple of hundred years. Usually it is only accurate within something like 600 years. It is reached by discovering the ratio of Carbon 14 to nitrogen 14 which carbon 14 decays into, and is based on half lives. It is very possible that, in not being a natural fossil, there was nitrogen 14 already on the dog that would have managed to escape is allowed to fossilize naturally and make the technique more accurate. That last bit about pre-existing nitrogen 14 is theoretical on my part, but the rest is correct. And let's also keep in mind that carbon 14 has a half life of roughly 50,000 some years.

12/14/07

*Doesn't know if he should be pleased that so many are quoting/responding to his posts, or worried that it seems that many of the replies are aimed against him.... Decides 'Screw it, they want to argue or debate, I'm all for it. :wink::twisted: *

I only brought up C-14 to support myself when I said that science isn't always right. Tofu, you're wrong. the Half-life of C-14 is a little over 5700 years. See these sites: http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1997/MargaretKong.shtml, http://www.scenta.co.uk/tcaep/nonxml/science/constant/details/Carbon-14%20half%20life.htm, http://science.howstuffworks.com/carbon-142.htm, http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/Radiography/Physics/carbondating.htm. Another thing Tofu, i is the symbol for the square root of -1. So, the square root of -4=2i. So far what I've used this on the most is the quadratic equation.

Scath, for arguments (sp?) sake, I'll say that the Earth was created/organized largely as it is today using pre-existing matter. Also, "essentially omnonsense"=never makes any sense?

GAT, thank you for the information. I'll look it up when I get the chance.

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"

Guest Scathane
Scath, for arguments (sp?) sake...
My bet would be argument's sake

...I'll say that the Earth was created/organized largely as it is today using pre-existing matter.
I totally agree...

Also, "essentially omnonsense"=never makes any sense?
Indeed, inventive, isn't it? :wink:

My bet would be argument's sake

I can go with that.

Indeed, inventive, isn't it? :wink:

I got a good laugh. Tofu's 2000+ Post Rank: "The Essentially Omnonsensical Being" You wanna change that so it makes a little more sense Scath?

My work here is done.

Grand AKmiral

(CINCBEAK) BEAK Imperium

"To BEAK is Divine!"