Tofu's technical problems!

DarthTofu

Okay, here's the deal. My family has two computers, one of which is hooked up to the internet, the other one receives internet connectivity through a networking cable (Hard line, we checked and both are connected). Now for the technical issue: We had a power outage this morning and we lost both computers, which are constantly on, for a while. When we rebooted them neither got internet access. Someone did something to the networked one and now it works, yet despite their efforts on the one providing internet access, it can't get internet access at all. Anyone who can explain what my issue is and how to fix it in simple, step-by-step instructions would be appreciated by me. Oh, yes, and I should probably include for some of you (Such as Krytos and B&R):

IN LAYMEN'S TERMS!!!1

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

What OS is each of them running?

Any idea what 'someone' did to networked one?

When you say both are connected, what's that mean? Did you try plugging a laptop into the other end of the cable and see if it gets internet access?

Maybe something to do with going through a router?

Ya more info u NOOB BREADSTICK!

Three letters regarding being called a breadstick: W, T, and F. What the freak. What else would I mean? minds out of the gutters, people. I'll try to find out more about it... I was kind of hoping that would be enough. What info would help the most so I can try to find it?

12/14/07

First thing I would try, is swtich the computeres around on the roouter, i.e. the computer in slot one goes into slot two, and vice versa.

If that doesnt work, unplug both computers from teh router, hit the reset button on the router, plug them both back in, hit the reset button again. I have seen this method work in the past severa times, even though it makes no sense.

Wprse cpmes to worse, reset you internet connections, uninstall anything having to do with the router all at the same time, then reinstall the net connection one the primary machine, then hook the router up to it. Then hook up the second machine, and re-install the network setting on them both.

If that doesnt work..... trying tightening your modem belt.

I once knew a great man. Nothing got to him, and he always smiled. May he forever rest in peace, knowing fully well that his freinds shall remember him.

Guest Scathane

Before switching anything (since it may take some extra time and effort to install the networked computer as the internet pc and vice versa), have you tried analyzing your internet settings?

With regard to the extra information, Tofu, I'd like to know what specific error message (doesn't it connect at all, login/passwordincorrect etc) you get...

Okay. I'll check as soon as I get home. I'm surprised, though: All of those typos in BS's post and you didn't correct anything, Scath? :wink: Hehe, had to be a jerk, there. Okay, yeah, I'll see what I can do by way of extra info for ya...

12/14/07