Tie Fighter question

angelus512

Hey seeming as I'm starting to firmly come back into the Imperial Fold i thought I'd go er...grab myself a copy of Tie Fighter.

Anywho fortunately it wasn't too hard to come by.

The only massive annoyance is it won't let me play without a damn Joystick.

I got the Tie Fighter collector's edition.

Anywho it refuses to let me even enter the game unless I have a joystick. Which I don't and I'm not entirely inclined to go get one because I've enver had problems playing games like this with the mouse.

So I was wondering if anybody knew how to bypass this problem specifically. I looked around on google but got nothing.

• SWR Staff - Executive
That the Windows version right? Yep, requires a joystick. Nothing you can do about that

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

That the Windows version right? Yep, requires a joystick. Nothing you can do about that

Actually I think you can configure it to use the mouse. I did that with Rebel Assault. Doesn't work as well as if it would just accept the ****ing joystick.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

• SWR Staff - Executive

Unfortunately the Windows versions were updated to use XvT's engine, which requires a joystick. There isn't really a way around that, I've tried

The best I've gotten is a program for a mouse to emulate a joystick... that doesn't quite work because its awkward for a mouse. You can't really duplicate the way the mouse should work as in the DOS versions of the game.

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.

Well i went out and grabbed myself a Logitech Attack 3 joystick because I want to play the Tie Collectors Edition badly.

However having gotten the joystick. Successfully installed it I am yet AGAIN faced with the same problem.

The damn game has 2 distinct ways of jumping into it.

TIE95.exe and TIESTART.exe

tiestart gives you options like calibrate your joystick etc, install directx 5.2 and so on. So i go into calibrate joystick. Program tells me i've got Logitech Attack 3 joystick already set now and it says connection is OK.

So fine. Game says i've got the joystick sweet.

So i jump over to desktop to launch my shortcut to TIE95.exe which just flat out jumps you into the game and i've made the shortcut run the game in Win95 environment.

ANywho previously without the joystick the game would say

MAKE SURE YOUR JOYSTICK IS PLUGGED IN

and so forth cos I can't play the game without it and it won't even let me jump in.

So considering as the game already said I HAD the joystick and its connected via USB port and all is fine i jump on the shortcut for some gaming.

Behold! The game tells me MAKE SURE YOUR JOYSTICK IS PLUGGED IN

needless to say it IS f*cking plugged in.

So what gives?

Plus when i try and launch Tie Fighter via the TIESTART.exe it tells me i MUST install directx5.2 or progress no further.

I try to install it but it won't install full stop because apparently Direct3D is not installed.

Well hence why i'm trying to isntall it but it doesn't do jack. It just refuses me.

Hence i just forked 35 odd bucks on a joystick and the game who says its there conveniently chooses to ignore its own advice.

So what gives?

Try launching the game using VDM sound. I think it may have a joystick emulator.

Also try giving this a try. I have never tried it but it may work.

EDIT: And have you patched the game?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

Nevermind people.

CHeers for any responses.

I figured out the problem. Or at least not so much figured it out as bumbled across the solution mostly by just trial and error.

I turned off the win95 emulation on the shortcut and put it back to normal XP and low and behold the game detected the joystick then...despite many posts saying tie fighter only works in XP either win95 emulated or with a lot of tweaking.

So i dunno.

My only guess in regards to the joystick is because its logitech it says on the box

win98, nt, me, 2000, xp but not 95.

So my best guess is logitech was never designed to work with win95 so when the program was emulating win95 there was no way it was ever going to find it.

So i just kinda got lucky. Works fine.

I'm captain now, with a nice shiny medal and secord circle of emperor worship secret cult thing =p

angelus512 wrote:

... So my best guess is logitech was never designed to work with win95 so when the program was emulating win95 there was no way it was ever going to find it. ...

Or it could be that while emulating win95, the game was looking for the joystick in the "joystick port" (remember those?), instead of the USB port (which isn't supported by win95 since it didn't exist at the time). Just a guess :?

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Yeah, Logitech is designed for a USB port. They make good joysticks, they just don't apparently work for Rebel Assault :evil: I sort of had the same issue... Except that it turned out my joystick had completely lost its connection due to someone (Who is not me) yanking on it too hard in the wire and disconecting the internal wiring from the plug-in point. :evil: Luckily I had an ancient joystick already installed on my computer. If you want to get a working joystick check Ebay for the Top Gun line. They probably have been discontinued (I think Paramount had something to do with them as well) but the old version I have works well with TIE fighter. make sure you get the software for it if you buy it online, and for pity's sake, make sure that you aren't buying a picture (It was a great scam a while back with the X-box 360)

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Hey they got it done!

Mouse-controlled flight games are a horrible thing that should never have left the womb.

Have you ever played Freelancer, if not then SHUT UP

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3488/zersigef1.jpg

• SWR Staff - Executive
I'm a keyboard'n'mouse person myself. Give me classic X-Wing or Tie Fighter any day.

Evaders99

The cake is a lie.

Guest JediIgor
Hey they got it done!

Mouse-controlled flight games are a horrible thing that should never have left the womb.

I've played Freelancer and it was very weak compared to Independence War 2. I also don't consider it very polite for you to go ad hominem for no reason.

Hey they got it done!

Freelancer implemented mouse flight excellently; anyone who calls it a flight sim deserves to be shot. Single-player sucked. Once you finished the main story, it got old in about five minutes. Multiplayer basically the same.

Anyone who calls it "Morrowind in space" also deserves to be shot.

Zer_Teron, have you played XWA? TF? XvT? XW? LOMAC? Any of Jane's old games? IL2? F/A-18?