W00T

DarthTofu

Okay, felt like tooting my own horn here (No pun intended) so ehre's how it goes- got up at nine AM this morning, got back home at about 11:30 PM. Spent the entire day at two marching band competitions. First one, the Ancient City St. Augustine band festival was purely objective. We recieved a superior in Marching, Visual appearance, and music. We recieved a distinguished in auxilary percussion and for our drum major (The guy who conducts everyone). We then proceded to the Citrus Bowl- if you pay any attention to Florida sports, you know what this is- a ginormous cement bowl. Today it had no football teams, but Marching Bands instead (And, I might add, no ****ing hash marks...) There we recieved judging which was based on us compared to other bands which, I will add, are the best in the state of Florida. We recieved an overall rating of Excellent, which I personally think is rather good. For those of you who do not know how band ratings work, I shall explain it to you: From best to worst it goes Distinguished, Superior, Excellent, Good, Poor. At least I think it does... I've never recieved anything below excellent at a competition... So yeah, figured I'd inflate my head there since we did so good at our competition- that and I managed to sort of get a girl friend :D:D:D:D:D ... :D:D ... :D:D:D:D:D ... :D:D:D I'm rather happy about this, did you notice? So anyway, yeah, heap praise upon me, tell me what a wonderful person I am, and pretend that you know what I'm talking about! :lol:

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

God! First time someone creates a thread like this. Well anyway well done for the band stuff and hope all goes well with your girlfriend.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

Ditto. By the way explain how the marching formation is to which songs. Our marching band did something called "Dreams" and it rocks a lot. I enjoy watching Marching Bands so I'm just curious.
"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

Ditto. By the way explain how the marching formation is to which songs. Our marching band did something called "Dreams" and it rocks a lot. I enjoy watching Marching Bands so I'm just curious.

Umm, do you mean how you determine where you go in relationship to the music? Well, our band doesn't actually come up with the show- we just play it and go to our spots. Some guy in Texas I think actually concieves it- he get's a sample of the music to play and then writes sets based on that. As far as sets go, each member of the band has a set book, which is a book full of locations on the field. You have side one and side two which are respectively to the left and right of you audience. Sets are then based out on an eight-to-five step size (IE the step size that you would take if you were gong to walk a straight distance from yard line to yard line that would take exactly eight steps). For instance, you might have a set that says "Side one, five past front hash, two inside 35". That means that you would be on side one, five eight-to-five steps past the front hash, and 2 steps to the left of the 35 yeard line. Each set has its own number of counts to get there, also. For instance, based on the music, if you have a melody piece that takes place over twelve counts, you will move to that location in twelve counts, whereas if it is a sixteen count melody the same is also true. In some cases, such as where song will repeat the melody or slightly alter it, the melody line is broken into two equal-length sets so that you march one form for one piece of the song and another that is similar for the slightly altered version of that song. Sometimes you will have holds if you come to areas that are meant to be excessively loud (Fortissimo, AKA tripple forte), excessively powerful, excessively quiet (Piano), or in which ou have a ritard or accelerando (Speeding up or slowing down). Its actually considerably harder than it sounds when you consider staying in step, watching the drum major, getting to the right spot, trying not to look at the ground to find your spot, trying to somehow miraculously back step from 12 steps from the front yard line to 7 past the front hash, to two past the front hash (Effing impossible coordinates!!!! :!: ). Anyway, yeah, that's the low and sknny on marching band as I know it for my freshmen year... If there are any other more experianced marchers, feel free to correct me.

12/14/07

DarthTofu wrote:

... Some guy in Texas I think actually concieves it- he get's a sample of the music to play and then writes sets based on that. ...

Muwhahaha. *** takes another shot of tequila *** Now let me think, what other crazy complex movement can I make these young whipper-snappers do? :twisted: It's almost like being the Emperor and having "teenage" Stormtroopers march around to make me feel important (and them inferior). :lol:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

gratz. My sister is a band geek too, and she just finished up the season.

POWER TO THE BAND GEEKS!!! Just tell me, do you live in Georgia, and did is your sister's uniform black, white, and gold, with a "CC" on the left breast?

12/14/07

-Sits shyly waving a flag with the words 'Choir Geek' wondering if he will be murdered...-

Last year in show choir we had to perform with the Marching Band. It was hell. We did Grease, and we didn't even sing, we just kind of stood in front of the entire band and did lame choreography, and tossed tires during Greased Lighting... Kind of annoying... Plus I was always screwing up my line when we would first march onto the field.

"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

-Sits shyly waving a flag with the words 'Choir Geek' wondering if he will be murdered...-

/me murders Aenivae_Ikeda for being a choir geek :twisted: I'm going to guess that you guys all marched in off-step even though someone was whacking a snare drum or base drum in time that your left foot was supposed to come down when it hit? :lol: Sorry, band geeks have to make fun of any and all who can't march in step- it's in our blood and nature! Supposedly there was one band that did duel of the fates in coordination with their choir- that I would very much like to see!

12/14/07

Believe it or not choir people are musically capable as well, so we did march in step, it's just that one competition I managed to march out of step and it showed in the video. Yeah, but we still took first.

Ah. Well then, good job with that and all, you have my congradulations. If you foudn the jab at choir people offensive I would direct you to my sig :D Just wondering, how manyy guys are in choir? No offense meant, I just don't think that there would be that many guys in the choir and all...

12/14/07

We have 32 girls and 18 guys in showchoir. Then we have around 45 girls, and like 25 guys in chamber choir... Damn 70 people... How can our director stand us?

We have 32 girls and 18 guys in showchoir. Then we have around 45 girls, and like 25 guys in chamber choir... Damn 70 people... How can our director stand us?

Hah! We have 150 band geeks and color guard people! OWNED! OWNED!! /me reverts back to normal mode upon realizing that he plays the clarinet which is far from being a masculin instrument. Yeah... 'Course our band director can't stand us- I'm pretty sure that he lost his mind about five or six years ago... Apparently he though that three weeks before school ended last year, three weeks before it started this year, every Tuesday and Thursday of the school year so far and a few subsequent Saturday "Mini" camps (9... frickin'... hours...) was not enough practice time and that we could use more practice time in addition to the four hours that we already have to turn in each week to get an A in the class. /me ends rant mode.

12/14/07

Our marching band has 200+ students. OWNED, OWNED!

Yeah...

Our marching band has 200+ students. OWNED, OWNED!

Yeah...

DId your band get superiors and Distinguisheds?!?!?!?!?!?!? DOUBLY OWNED!!! Besides, you can't claim ownage over another band unless your in band... And I thought you were homeschooled, Edor.

12/14/07