Yoda grammar!

DarthTofu

That's right- Lord La Forge mentioned that we should start a different thread for it, so here it is now: The Yoda Grammar page which will probably wind up going off on a tangent about which bugs and bat-things on Degobah are best to eat, but its all good! Yoda grammar mode comenses in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0! Yoda-style grammar time for, it is!

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

No point this thread has. Corrupted by spam it will become! In grave danger the Rebellion forums are...

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

Well.... umm.... Yeah, point you have there, admit to it I must. But maybe some a savior shall come with better Yoda grammar than all of us and give this thread purpous. (Hangs head in shame for not being this savior, spots a cheese sandwich on the ground and eats it in moment of joy before becoming sober again).

12/14/07

Not grammerically correct you internal monolog was. Correct it you must!.

Serious I am. What point is there to this thread? A discussion to the best way to emulate Yoda it should be.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

In my opinion, number two. But just me, that is. Here's something I've always wondered- is Yoda's grammar simply based on another languages grammar? Like if you speak Czech or something and watched a translated version of Empire Strikes Back, would Yoda be using perfectly accpetable grammar or something? Or was it just Lucas's idea of being funny by making up a random grammar structure.

12/14/07

Think I, therefore am I 8O

Sucks, this whole subject matter does. To Tofu, DEATH! :evil:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Love you too I do, Tex :lol: *

warm and fuzzy feel I inside. But yeah, like Rob said... lol, I wonder if the grammar even is messed up in other languages when it gets translated.

*Not really. I actually hate your guts. I will eat your unhappiness! :lol:

12/14/07

-Scans the forum over briefly, and then cries.- Oh dear god what has become of my life...
"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

No actually yours is probably more incorrect than mine Tofu. Yoda doesn't dramatically reverse everything. If you compare the way Yoda speaks and proper German grammar they are remarkably similar, so yeah. Just study that, and become proficient you will.
"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

Yoda simply replaces the lcation of the Subject and Predicate within a sentence. Yoda also never usees exclamatory additions such as "oh dear God", so that sentence is especially difficult to translate. It would be more along the lines of "Dear god, of my life what has become?" I think most people are making his sentence structure too complex.

No actually yours is probably more incorrect than mine Tofu. Yoda doesn't dramatically reverse everything. If you compare the way Yoda speaks and proper German grammar they are remarkably similar, so yeah. Just study that, and become proficient you will.

Huh? Hold on, I thought that the English grmmar structure was identical to German! 8O Are they just really similar?

12/14/07

DarthTofu wrote:

Love you too I do, Tex ... I will eat your unhappiness!

Granted is your wish. Focus all my unhappiness into hurricane Wilma does I. Send it your way I will. Enjoy! :twisted:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

Oh, you bastard... I'm going to laugh when Wilma veers away, develops into a category six gillion hurricane, and completely irradicates all of Texas before stopping at the state line.

12/14/07

Tofu, believe I do that the grammar of the German language would look, it would, like a backwards sentence of English.

People, reverse the Subject and Predecate in the sentence. For example Aenivae's last post would look like this:

Tofu, believe that the grammer of the German language looks like backwards English do I.

You guys are trying too hard.

Subject... Predicate... Grammar I care not for! Note: Checked out the news and saw the New Hurricane Wilma stuff. I apoligize, Tex, i apoligize! how frickin' angry are you!?!?!?!? 8O

12/14/07

DarthTofu wrote:

Checked out the news and saw the New Hurricane Wilma stuff. I apoligize, Tex, i apoligize! how frickin' angry are you!?!?!?!?

Don't underestimate the POWER of the Dark Side!