Harvesting question...

Naga

Hello,

Let me begin by complimenting you on a great mod. on to the question...

Pretty much the first thing I do each time I start a new game vs. the AI is build 10 more Mole Miners (the apparent maximum). I then send my 20 Moles and a refinery ship to a resource pocket and let them harvest. When I can, I will build 1 or 2 more refinery ships. I harvest nonstop for the whole game, and when I'm looking at the post game ratings, my opponent always seems to have harvested just over twice as much as I have. How does it do that? Can you have more than 20 moles or something?

This is just a guess, but it seems logical.

The computer can do many things at once, and it is much smarter than you or I are. This means that it can micromanage its resourcing operations for maximum yield during minimum time by placing its refineries in exactly the right place at the right time. It knows which resource pockets to harvest when, and how to get its collectors from place to place in the quickest manner possible. There simply isn't a way that you can keep up short of destroying its miners constantly, which isn't really cost-effective.

And usually, it doesn't matter. Once you max out on destroyers and frigates, there's little point in worrying about resources.

~Resident Warlords Curmudgeon