Solid Form Aircraft

Grand_Admiral_Thrawn

Ok, I saw this on the Discovery Channel last night. I can't find it on their website yet, nor can I find any information on it at all, but I'll update it with some facts as I find them.

Basically, there is a new form of aircraft in development that will revolutionise... well, lots.

It all starts with a researcher working on developing a polymer that, when exposed to electricity, can be manipulated with electrodes placed strategically. What he has come up with is amazing!

Basically he developed an extremely light-weight metal (by light-weight I mean like aluminium and titanium) that is not only durable but extremely flexible. In addition, if you place electrodes on it and run electricity through it, the point at which the electrode connects acts as a joint, bending in both directions in turn.

So, imagine an aircraft shaped like roughly like a seagull (without a distinct head). If it were made out of this material there would be no moving parts. None. Electrodes in the wings would send electrical currents into the structure causing the whole thing to flap. Combine this with the ability to glide, and you've got one neat aircraft.

It's all a little hard to visualize so I'm hoping to find some pictures and technical data.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

I read an article about something similar about ~10 years ago (Air & Space magazine?). Basically the aircraft would have a piezo-electric "skin" (and of course a special airframe underneath) such that when you "turn" the aircraft, it would "bend" into the configuration necessary (look ma, no rudders! Or elevators, flaps or slats for that matter). With the "right" piezo-electric "skin" you might also get super camouflage!

I haven't seen the specific program you mentioned, but I will definitely be looking for it now. It sounds like the idea has been updated. 8)

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

ooh, sound slike fun! I can imagine a jet plane losing an engine, and all the pilot has to do is press a button to activate glide-mode, or flapping mode... lol, now I have the image of a flapping jet plane stuck in my head.

...I need to go draw....

Yes, the basic idea is that the wings of the aircraft will flap. I still can't find the information on it, so I think I'll e-mail the show.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

Lol, I know what you mean, Tofu. I went to Google Image Search, typed "2" and the first thing that comes up is some girl doing...er... I'm not sure I know the right word for it, but suffice to say that it's sexually explicit... very sexually explixit...

Lol, I know what you mean, Tofu. I went to Google Image Search, typed "2" and the first thing that comes up is some girl doing...er... I'm not sure I know the right word for it, but suffice to say that it's sexually explicit... very sexually explixit...

LOOOL. I've checked it too. That's actually a male. Two males, to be precise :)