DVD Region Codes

Grand_Admiral_Thrawn

Normally a DVD's region code wouldn't be a problem, however there is a movie I would like to buy that is not availible in the "correct" region code.

The movie Waterloo, directed by Sergei Bondarchuk, is probably one of the best Napoleonic movies in existence. Not only does it have some top notch actors in it, including Christopher Plummer as Wellington, but they used thousands of Russian soldiers as the troops. The problem is, the DVD is only available in region 2 and 4, that is the UK and Oceana (Australia) respectively. So, my question is thus. Can I, after buying the movie, change the region by burning it? If not all is not lost, I can always watch it on my PC (since most DVD Roms are generic, and most DVD programs for PC allow you to choose a region). So, any suggestions?

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

Hmm, DVD Genie. I'll look into it. My sister is the know-it-all when it comes to DVD programs like that.

As for the movie, I only wish there were a director's cut. It was originally four hours in length. Pitty they cut it down to a mere 128 minutes.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

Wow. have you tried doing it on a laptop without internet access turned on, or something? I don't know if laptops have region codes, so you might be good with one of those. Otherwise its just plain stupid to have one that play DVDs in my opinion.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Thank's Trej, I'll give that a try. At the moment I don't know if my DVD player will play the movie or not, as I'm still waiting for it (along with several other thigns) to come in the mail. If it does work all is well with the world. If not, I can always watch it on my PC (with a 21" screen it really doesn't matter :lol:). I'm really hoping this will work on a regular DVD player though, I want to see it on my Dad's big-screen TV with ihs home theater system.

lucky.

My dad's been working on a home theater in the basement for the past 2 and a half years now. :P His little home project. It will be complete with 8.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound, a 51"(i think) wide-screen tv, and these cool, little light switches that turn off 20 secs after u press them (so u have time to get to your Stadium Style Seating seat).

...If he ever finishes it :P

Not as yet. For some reason the movie, as well as the two other items I've ordered recently, have yet to be processed. I know that it's because of the companies I've ordered from, not the credit card. I'm going to call tomorrow to find out what the hold-up is.

They're small companies based here in Ontario. MilitaryHeritage.com and CoghlinandUpton.com.