The Grand Admiral is Going to Europe!

Well, I've decided to bite the bullet and take a trip to Europe. Although this won't happen until next year (I'm planning on heading over during my reading week/March break) I'd like to get some input on places to visit.

I know that a week really isn't long enough to see everything (indeed, much of anything), and I might end up postponing it until May so I can take two weeks.

Initially my plan was to see everything of interest (to me) in England where I plan to land and then cross the Channel to the mainland. There's really nothing that I know of to see on the mainland, mostly war memorials and what not, but then I'm rather ignorant of what there is in Europe.

So, that said, I can cut the number of possible locations down. First, France, though I'm sure beautiful, is really of no interest to me. Sure I'd like to see the Louvre and some other site of Paris, but with a restricted schedule it's automatically cut from the list. As is Italy and any Mediterranean countries. I think I'd like it too much and never come back :lol:.

So, other than those locales, what should top my list? Is there a good restaurant I should have a bite at, a nice village or a bridge to contemplate? I'm not looking only for the touristy type things, I want something that most people who visit Europe wouldn't go and see!

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

Well as a start i would suggest that once you have crossed the channel you go to Caens to see the war museum which is fantastic! Then try going to Bayeux to see the famous tapestry.

Then well its up to you but i guees i had better make a bit of publicity for Geneva.

Well what can you come and see here...

You could see the Red Cross Museum (since the red cross was founded here). There are also the UN's europe head quarters as well as the Geneva old town (where Calvin stayed during the times of the réformation) there is also some romain stuff i think.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Palpycard.gif

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Mad78/Spamkinguserbarcopy.jpg

CLICK HERE IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Click here is you like Trance

If your going to swing by Geneva to visit Mad, you should at least stop in at Lucerne and/or Interlaaken. I've been to the former (Lucerne) a couple of times and it's very nice to visit. I've seen lots of Basel and the nearby country side, but I had lots of time and not quite so short a schedule as you. The Black Forest in Germany is only a stone's throw away from there. The beer is superb over there!!! :D:D:D There are several castles to see (some are very "local", but still very interesting :) ). Did I mention the beer is superb over there? :D:D:D Ahhhh!! What delicious beer :!::D

Keep us informed of your itinerary, you sure have plenty of time for planning. :wink:

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

At the moment I only have a few planned visits. First is, of course, Buckingham Palace, though this will probably amount to "Oh, there it is" and off I go. Then there is the British Parliament and House of Lords, Trafalgar Square, Whitehall, the HMS Victory, and there is a museum I think by the name of the Maritime Museum that covers much of Britain's nautical history. There is also a small shop somewhere in London called Blunderbuss Antiques that I want to look through. I really don't expect the above to take too much time, other than the museum. I'm not going to do any scheduled tours or anything of the sort (save for the Victory), so if I'm Lucky I can cover the above in one day.

Now I know that Europe is quite connected via trains, but how thorough this is I may be off on. I want to see Bath and parts of Scotland, but without a car to get around this may prove tricky. There is always the good old cab, but if prices are anything like those here I'd rather walk...

As for the mainland, I had hoped to drop by Juno Beach where Canadian troops landed on D-Day and visit the memorial on Vimy Ridge. I also wanted to see Berlin and some of the castles in Germany. Again, my plans may be hindered by a lack of transportation.

I plan on making a stop in Switzerland no matter what. I'd like to get some cheese (not kidding) and maybe open a bank account (OK, kidding on this one :lol:).

So far I think my itinerary is looking more like a two week trip rather than one and I fear that if I go during my reading week I'll have to cut everything from the mainland out and have a very busy schedule.

Does any one know how the hostels are over there? Rather than spend a fortune on hotels I planned on keeping my accommodation costs low and staying in hostels (unless someone advises against it that is)

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.

Try staying in Bed and Breakfasts for accomodation.

Scotland is beautiful but you really need a car and several days to appreciate it to its full extent.

If you want swiss cheese you MUST go to the town of Gruyère.

At the moment I only have a few planned visits. First is, of course, Buckingham Palace, though this will probably amount to "Oh, there it is" and off I go. Then there is the British Parliament and House of Lords, Trafalgar Square, Whitehall, the HMS Victory, and there is a museum I think by the name of the Maritime Museum that covers much of Britain's nautical history. There is also a small shop somewhere in London called Blunderbuss Antiques that I want to look through. I really don't expect the above to take too much time, other than the museum. I'm not going to do any scheduled tours or anything of the sort (save for the Victory), so if I'm Lucky I can cover the above in one day.

Now I know that Europe is quite connected via trains, but how thorough this is I may be off on. I want to see Bath and parts of Scotland, but without a car to get around this may prove tricky. There is always the good old cab, but if prices are anything like those here I'd rather walk...

In all honesty I would advise against London if it's only a flying stop on a whirl wind tour. Buckingham Palace, the House of Commons, Trafalgar Square aren't that much differant to what you see on TV or in the newspapers, and the rest of 'Swinging central London,' is essentially a gigantic hub of shops, where you get to buy stuff you can easily get back home or on the internet. However, having just said that, there are the places or real interest; the British Museum (where I met Lord_La_Forge's brother not so long ago), the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Tate Modern, and I have to add, London Zoo, where I can be found every Monday lurking with the monkeys. For historical shops, all the best antiquarian type bookshops are around the BM. I've not heared of the Blunderbus Antiques personally, but am at liberty to do you a little research on Neutical type shops if you wish.

Avoid Camden Lock. It's only trendy these days with tourists who think music is cool and should govern their lives, and subsequently get ripped off whenever they open their wallets. In a simular vein, avoid Notting Hill. Contrary to popular belief, you won't bump into Hugh Grant, only lots of exceedingly wealthy people drinking overpriced coffee at a Starbucks...

Out of London, Bath is indeed worth a visit. It's beautiful and I believe they have re-opened the Roman Baths, though I may be wrong. Portsmouth is the traditional home of the the Royal Navy and has a few atteractions; but is ultimately a dump, and full of drunk violent people after dark. So avoid. Scotland: Go there. It is as Mad said beutiful. Visit it's capital, visit the highlands, but beware of the midges! I think most of the British Navy's Nuclear Submarines are based in Inverness, but you'll probably get mistaken for a Islamic radical and shot if you attempt to get to close. Out of many places I would suggest you visit, Glastonbury is the one I would suggest. It was the last haven for the ancient Druids in Europe before the Romans wiped them out and is not just steeped in pre-Christian tradition, but also has a rich Christian tradition including an abbey where some say King Arthur was buried.

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Really my only reason for visiting London is for the museums, antique shops and books stores. I don't really have much interest in Buckingham Palace, so I think I'll take your advice and avoid it. Trafalgar Square I can always walk past, or through, depending on the type of shops I can find around it. I'm afraid I've no knowledge of the layout of of London, so I could definitely use some suggestions there.

The British Museum will certainly be a stop, and if the Victoria and Albert Museum covers as much of Imperial Britain as I think it would, I should certainly like to go. Since I'm in a rather small city (only about 80,000 people) any zoo is worth visiting, so I'll be sure to stop by the monkeys on a Monday :lol:.

I might be mistaken about Blunderbuss Antiques being in London, but I did hear it mentioned on the bonus features disk of the Master and Commander movie. if you can find any other Regency era antique shops in London I would be most obliged.

Camden Lock and Notting Hill... well, since I've never heard of either of them it's safe to assume I'll not be visiting either of them. :D

My neighbour, who just finished visiting family in England a month ago, said that the Roman Baths at Bath were set to re-open, so with luck they will be when I come. I'm a little disillusioned with the modern day Royal Navy, so Portsmouth wasn't high on my list of places to see, and a bawdy house full of drunken sailors makes it less appealing...

Now, Scotland is a definite stop for me. I don't plan on making this trip alone (for safety reasons, as well as the fact that it would be very lonely) and my friend has family in Scotland. Once there we may have transportation, or at the very least lodgings. Seeing as I currently have a full face of hair and look to be of the Middle-Eastern persuasion, I'm avoid Inverness. Glastonbury sounds interesting; I may have to make a stop there.

If I'm lucky I might be able to split my trip in two. The first, lasting a week, would allow me to see much of England and Scotland. The second, taken some time later, probably in the summer, would get me to the mainland (though I would still try and make it to Switzerland for my cheese, and maybe drop a line on Mad). I really want to see Ireland as well, since that is where my family originated from, but I don't see how I can fit it in...

I really want to see Ireland as well, since that is where my family originated from, but I don't see how I can fit it in...

I think easy jet fly to Dublin but i would need to check.

My uncle works in the antics buisness(sorry for the sp). I can ask him if he knows any Regency era antique shops.

Well, whatever you decide to do GAT - Have a great time mate! :D !

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

Forgot if I mentioned this about Portsmouth, but it's got Nelson's flagship, HMS Victory and King Henry VIII's flagship, the Mary Rose. Whilst the Mary Rose is sort of spread by water and a rotting hulk in a warehouse, apparently you can walk around the Victory.

Also, there's the Royal Maritime Museum in Grteenwich in London.

http://www.jahled.co.uk/smallmonkeywars.gif

Damn, I guess I'll have to make a stop at Portsmouth after all. The Victory is something I want to see while I'm there. I know that they've just finished repaires in preparation for the bi-centenial of Trafalger Day.

Portsmouth is worth a visit, theres also the Warrior, an ironclad wood-built ship from ~1850. You can buy a pass that gets you into all the attractions and I think a tour around the harbour if you want to see the current Royal Navy, albeit from a distance. Its a simple train ride down from London Waterloo.
I've just remembered i've got a signature!

First, for travelling in Europe, us Easy Jet, or Virgin or one other of these cheap flights. Then for lodging, if you are under about 30, got to what is called (literally translated) «Inn of youth» or use hostel. They are really cheap, but as said in their names, you have to be young. Except that, try to pas no more than 3 days in every town. Like 2 days in London, 3 days in Paris 2-3 days in Barcelona ( a wonderful town ) 3 days in Rome, skip Athens, Try to go to Prague, skip Berlin, try Munich instead, or Köln ( Cologne ). Swiss Germany is always funny to see. Mentioned Lucerne, nice town, (and just to mention, it is completely flooded right now). Really nice. I you can the Swiss Italian part is beautiful. Try to take the mountain train if you can. Vienna isn’t so much. But Venice is a must see, and even more seeing that it won't be there for ever. Lyon is nice for a day, expellant food, probably the best in France. If you can, on the way here or back, try to stop in Island, it is very special. DON'T go to Madrid. Depending on what you are interested, if I was you, I wouldn't go too much in museums. Maybe one or to, if it sounds like something you want really to go and see. Because don't forget that every where you go in Europe, there will be an old town, and it is like a museum it self. Otherwise I can't see any things. Oh the lakes in Swiss Italy and North Italy or like in Star Wars, Ep II for the wedding. I even think the shots were taken over there.

Well, the shots "in the back country" were shot at Lake Como (sp?). Honestly Italy and the like don't interest me. I would really only go to the mainland to see WW II historic sites and any remnants of the Napoleonic era.

This is really a scouting mission. Once I've completed my education I want to move to Europe, despite the higher cost of living. That's also why I'd like to visit the smaller, less-known towns and cities.