Star Wars Rebellion Play by Email game.

DarkRogue

I am creating a Star Wars Rebellion play by email game. Using the basic concepts from the game each player will take a side and control that side's actions in their assigned sector. Using Excell for the turn sheets and a hex map to keep track of movement and planet control Players will have to be at the top of their game to survive here and help their side gain victory. The group site for this project is http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/starwarsconquest/ I can get the game up and running quickly so dont worry just looking for players and some people who want to help with rules and play ideas. I am running several other games of this type so I do know what i am doing.
That which does not kill me had better run!!!!

Umm, I think that you might get sued by Lucasfilm if you keep using their logo :lol: Yeah, I'm a bit paranoid. And while I have absolutely no concept of how to program, I would be very happy to help in anyway I can, whether that be throwing out ideas or being a beta tester, or whatever. Something that I think would really help the game is a graphic ability to keep track of everything (Though not through the original Rebellion Program). YOu can sort of do what the reloaded team is doing, except, umm, slightly (Well, enourmously) less grand. Things that you can add onto this, if it is turn based is to say that, say this is a battle- use a "Dice" program to descide where shots hit, how much damage they do, and to what systems they hit, or something. And possibly an inclusion of increasing the likelyhood of hitting certain things from certain angles (IE 50% increase in engine hits when 180 degrees behind ships, or something). While dice rolling allows for people to be luckly and kill an SSD with a swuadron of X-wings, it seems like a good alternative to live action if this is E-mail based. Also, the ability for a battle to take several days, or even weeks, might be nice, to have reiforcements arrive from different areas to take part in the attack, and let individual ships pull out (This could be without graphics, just saying). This is all suggestion stuff, and I have no clue if it will work, but any jobs that require minimal computer knowledge (As in, not making me do text coding) I will be happy to do and to help out with. :D Sounds like a good idea, provided you don't get sues by Lucasfilm for the logo, programming, ideas, graphics, ect.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Well thanks for the ideas. I was thinking of expanding the regiments to have some kind of hit points and the ability to retreat during a planet assault. As far as being sued there are no grounds. The game is free. Its like taking the Star Wars RPG that is out and playing by email. Not much difference.

ok maybe you dont understand what the game is. Basically there are 3 parts, a hex version of the maps from Star Wars Rebellion, the rules and an Excell sheet for every player. On the excell sheet players will keep track of their planets, characters, production and troops. They will fill out certain areas of the excell sheet saying where they want to move, what they want to produce send the characters on missions and things like that. They email it into the GM (me) then i figure out the results of that turn update the excell sheet and email it back to them for the next turn. Thats it. There is no automation or graphics or anything. It is a free game. I am not violating any copy right laws. Think of this as a scaled down MOD of the game if you must. Now are MODs copy right infringement? Heck the Star Wars Mod of Battlefield 1942 has thousands of players. But you know if Lucas wants to sue me for the money I am going to make on the game I say go ahead. I wonder what the people who play the RPG via email would say?

Interesting. Would it be a strategic level version of SW Combine?

As I understand, it is similar to management simulation games found in many europian (I know nothing about the US) high schools. So, you have a rule book, you have to fill a decision form and after the simulation, you will get an info sheet about your exact situation and various levels of information about the situation of other players and the overall galaxy events.

I think a Rebellion 'copy' is too small for that and without automation it is to much work for you as a GM.

Using excell spread sheets it makes it easy to manage and process turns. I am currently running three games like this for Battletech and besides the Star Wars game I also have 3 others under developement. They are not overly compicated once you setup dilomacy, economics and combat systems. Since the ones in the Battletch games work so well I am merely copying those and applying them to this. If you would like to see how it works then play the game. It is pretty interesting if you have the mind for it.