Rebellion messages problem

darth_ramoth

hey all, i just reinstalled rebellion after doing a clean install of xp and now im having problems with some of the messages. they are coming up blank, just a black screen with the text being the only thing visable. If i open another message before it, it shows the previous graphics for the current message.

here is a screen shot explaining what i mean about a blank message with only text.http://www.darth.ramoth.bigpondhosting.com/problem1.jpg. It does it for a few other messages as well. I had a look at the strategy.dll file with resource hacker and noticed in the bmp section that from 10100 to 10107 were blank.

Any help would be appreciated.

Darth_Ramoth

Strike me down with all of your hatred, and your journey to the dark side will be complete

Hmm, that looks wierd. Can you replace the images if someone gives them to you to put in reshack? Also did you try to clean install after you first found the problem? Thats might be a simple solution.
I've just remembered i've got a signature!

ive tried to reinstall it a couple of times, once was a simple reinstall over the top, the second was a clean install. i just a had thought, i might see if i can get the images off the CD and put them in manually.

My CD is fairly old and a bit scratched which i think what has caused this problem, im keeping an eye on ebay for it so I can replace it, and im also running it from an image file to save wear and tear on the actuall CD.

Darth_Ramoth

Strike me down with all of your hatred, and your journey to the dark side will be complete

OK, i've used reshack too and my files in the same location are unviewable. So that can't be the issue. We need to find out where the ffected images are once we now that I can host them for you on Imageshack and you can replace them with reshack...

I've heard of this working before, though I have no clue if it does. If you have dual CD-Rom drives, you can burn a copy from the damaged disk. Somethimes this will take data not reaching the computer, other times it won't. oh yeah, and there's the whole legal aspect of it to worry about, too. Just saying, I heard someone say it worked. And no, it isn't on line the sceptisists out there.

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

I was under the impression that once you bought the game then you owned the rights and could copy it for personal use should the CD fail?

Guest JediIgor
I was under the impression that once you bought the game then you owned the rights and could copy it for personal use should the CD fail?

Depends on where you live.. Certainly not in the USA.

Yes, in the USA if you even proposed something like that, a lawyer would be knocking at your door right about now.(Doorbell rings) ah, crap- there's another Lawyer at my door, and I'm running out of places to hide the bodies... :lol:

12/14/07

OK, i've used reshack too and my files in the same location are unviewable. So that can't be the issue. We need to find out where the ffected images are once we now that I can host them for you on Imageshack and you can replace them with reshack...

Ok ill sit down today and figure out whats missing. It seems to be when troops are deployed to a system and when imperial espoinage droids report in.

Another intance ive noticed is when my fighter squadrons get back to full strength after a battle.

Edited by darth_ramoth

Darth_Ramoth

I've heard of this working before, though I have no clue if it does. If you have dual CD-Rom drives, you can burn a copy from the damaged disk. Somethimes this will take data not reaching the computer, other times it won't. oh yeah, and there's the whole legal aspect of it to worry about, too. Just saying, I heard someone say it worked. And no, it isn't on line the sceptisists out there.

I had done that in the past, I made an image file of the CD and ran the game from a vitrual cd drive and that had worked in the past, the music wasnt playing properly from the cd but from the virtual drive it was. This is the first time ive had any graphic glitches from the game tho.

Darth_Ramoth

Oh, dude that actually is a thing you can do to make it work? Sweet, I made that up! I just wanted to see if it would work or not. Sweet, I was sort of right when I made up random stuff! I'ma go get a job with Gateway's tech support squad, now! (Hey, I'm sure that's how they hire people there)

12/14/07

ok i think i have figured out whats wrong, i was doing a bit of editing in rebed and discovered that half the pictures were missing. I looked in the edata dir and sure enought i only had about 16 pictures installed.

I decided to try to manually copy the rest over from the CD and from the image file and well i couldnt recover them all.

I am hoping that you guys will help me out by emailing me the missing image files. The files i am missing are as follows (these are all from the EDATA dir located on the CD or the Rebellion directory.

EDATA 30 - 42, 44 - 46, 48, 51 -54, 56, 59, 64 - 66, 144, 145, 147, 159, 165. (i think i got them all 8O )

There are a few missing, but i was hoping a few people could email me just 1 or 2 pics each it would make for a small email as each pic is about 80 kb . I have broadband so downloading them is not a problem.

Thanks in advance :)

Darth_Ramoth

• 2 months later...
hey guys, just a follow up post about my little problem, i found another backup which is in great condition so i have replaced all the missing picture images, im also watching a couple of copies on ebay. thanks again all

Darth_Ramoth