Help with Installing on XP

nofio

Question

Hey can anyone help i keep getting this message when i try to install:

AUTOEXE.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-Dos and Microsoft Windows application. choose 'close; to terminate the application

Can anyone help me want to play

8 answers to this question

this is to do with XP not having a autoexec.bat file.

well it does, but it's hidden ;)

warning! don't do this unless you have an inkling of what you're doing.

(this is using WinXP Pro SP2)

in your C:\Windows\Repair folder, there should be a AUTOEXEC.NT and CONFIG.NT file. Make a backup of these, and and then rename the AUTOEXEC.NT file "AUTOEXEC.BAT", and the CONFIG.NT file "CONFIG.SYS"

now copy these renamed files into your C:\Windows\System32 folder

you may need to reboot (can't remember), but then the installation/program should be fine.

Btw, try changing the compatibility first too. It didn't work for me, but it may for you.

hope that helps

having same problem only message is replacing the autoexec.nt with the config.nt

file does not actually exist yet it is saying that it is not suitable for running ms dos apps...

have read all other posts regarding this issue on this forum and none of the solutions have worked... have also updated both sound and video drivers to the most current versions

at my wits end want to play :( SOS mayday!

I think I have SP2 and I run fine most of the time, ocassional qweird crash but its onyl happened once or twice.
I've just remembered i've got a signature!

hey, guys just go to the Window/repair folder - copy autoexec.nt and config.nt file and change them to autoexec.bat and config.sys then copy autoexec.nt, autoexec.bat, and config.sys to Windows/System32 folder.. Restart computer and it should work. Did for me and my computer is just nasty right now!