16 bit Windows Subsystem Error (help requested)

Kiae

Greetings,

I have been playing SWRebellion for years now, and I recently decided to clean out my PC (manualy - I usualy know exactly what I am doing) without reformating, and I wound up removing some files necessary for the proper uninstallation of SWRebellion (*gasp* who would ever want to uninstall SWReb?) so I had to go in and manualy remove all the registry keys for the game so that the installer would function once again.

However, every time I install I am getting a very odd error window.

"16 bit Windows Sybsystem

c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the appliaction."

And I have Close and Ignore options. Either one, when chosen, simply closes the dialog box and nothing else happens.

I am running WinXP on a 3.06GHz system, 32bit. So I am unsure where this 16 bit stuff is comming from.

I also checked to make sure my processor speed was turned up to its full speed (via the power management options on my Toshiba laptop here).

HELP!?

Thanks very much!

You seem to speak PC better than me, but my advice is to try changing your color to 16 bit. That might be what the "16 bit" was reffering to. I dunno, me no speakee C ++!

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Haha, I believe it is refering to 16/32 bit architecture of the processor chips. IE like the new 64 bit architecture you can purchase.

I believe it is indicating to me that it needs to run 32 bit architecture and for some reason things my laptop is 16 bit.

But just for the sheer hell of it I will try what you suggest, lol. Sometimes things can be that ridiculous. I know.

Otherwise, I hope someone has had this problem before and understands what is required to fix it. I already tried restarting many times, even performing a registry defrag, no luck.

Alright, I solved the problem (thanks to the internet).

The problem was that I had a corrupt autoexec.nt file in my sytem32 folder. Apparently this file would affect any installation that required 32 bit architecture and ran though its own REM files for installation.

So to fix it all you have to do is click run c:\windows\repair and a folder containing autoexec.nt (never altered) is available for you to simply copy and paste back into your system32 folder (c:\windows\system32) which replaces the old corrupt autoexec.nt file.

That solved the problem. So thats all one has to do whenever you encounter this issue.

And I appologize for posting this here, I was unaware it was not a SWRebellion problem, but rather a problem with the operating system.

These eople are usually happy to help with unrelated stuff like that. Well, at least I am, reguardless of how non-helpful may be. :D

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away