7 members have voted

1. 1. How do you find it?

• 1/6
    • 2/6
    • 3/6
    • 4/6
    • 5/6
    • 6/6

I've played the demo, and apart from a large number of bugs in the game (which were expected) the game play is alright.

I've got many qualms with the game, such as the accuracy (or lack of) for neary every weapon and the most annoying is the weight towards vehicles. The ammount of times I've had people camping spawns in a tank or group of tanks, or having a jet fly over the spawn points and getting bombed over and over.

Vehicles are fine, though considering that you have 32 people max per side, there should be less heavy armour, and more light vehicles (jeeps, Humvees, etc. ) to stop these annoying aspects of the game

Nevertheless, I've found the demo fun - though nothing special

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1778/reloadedbannerdu8.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1333/3dartistbanneranimationws1.gif

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4026/rebellionbannerdi2.gif

Guest JediIgor

I'd just like to say the true Battlefield 2 happens when you are doing real squad gameplay, +1 if you are squad leader, and +2 if other squads are following orders as well. That's when the game stops being an fps with vehicles and becomes a battlefield.

Sadly enough I have not had this experience on any ranked servers, where arguably the whole point of the game lies (I want my unlocks after all ;)).

I was gonna say I played the demo as well. The game itself is cool but I do agree that it weighs way way way too much towards the use of vehicles. Specifically the heavy vehicles. I have had players camp the vehicle spawning points waiting for a tank to players using jets to bomb the spawn points to kill people respawning.

I realize that yes its part of the game, but the whole point of a game is for it to be FUN. If a game is not fun then it stops being a game and becomes WORK. For me Battlefield 2 started becoming work and I dont want to 'work' when I am having or rather trying to have fun.

My other pet peeve with this game (at least from what I had seen in the demo) is that if you really want to use an air vehicle (helicopter/jet) you really need a joystick. For me its pretty sad for a first-person shooter game for you to have to hop in this vehicle and then break out with a different controlling mechanism other than my mouse. I guess what I mean is that if I wanted to fly planes with a joystick I would play a flight simulator game, not a first person shooter. For a first person shooter game I want to be able to use just about anything with my keyboard and mouse. I should not have to go out and get a joystick for such a game, unless its a flight simulator game.

http://img30.echo.cx/img30/2519/yodavspals4fr0gi.gif

I was gonna say I played the demo as well. The game itself is cool but I do agree that it weighs way way way too much towards the use of vehicles. Specifically the heavy vehicles. I have had players camp the vehicle spawning points waiting for a tank to players using jets to bomb the spawn points to kill people respawning.

I realize that yes its part of the game, but the whole point of a game is for it to be FUN. If a game is not fun then it stops being a game and becomes WORK. For me Battlefield 2 started becoming work and I dont want to 'work' when I am having or rather trying to have fun.

My other pet peeve with this game (at least from what I had seen in the demo) is that if you really want to use an air vehicle (helicopter/jet) you really need a joystick. For me its pretty sad for a first-person shooter game for you to have to hop in this vehicle and then break out with a different controlling mechanism other than my mouse. I guess what I mean is that if I wanted to fly planes with a joystick I would play a flight simulator game, not a first person shooter. For a first person shooter game I want to be able to use just about anything with my keyboard and mouse. I should not have to go out and get a joystick for such a game, unless its a flight simulator game.

Dude ayou can fly a heli EASY with a mouse and some of my friends say playing with a jystick is no different. ( Jedilgor I will KICK YOUR BUTT) :-)

Well, I tried flying a heli with my mouse in the demo and that didnt work very well. Same thing with a jet. I dont know how people could turn as fast and sharp as they did without a joystick. At any rate, most people I know who have the game said they like it better with a joystick for flying.

Guest JediIgor

You can fly the jets and the helis with a mouse, it will just be harder for you cause you won't be able to make as sharp a turns. Anyways, you should really try complaining less about the control scheme or else you will get a half-baked product like Star Wars Battlefront ;). You should try complaining about other more relevant things like not including a radar or the server browser sucking ;).

Games like this push the boundaries of a "first person shooter," be thankful for it! Now if only they would let us have 128 player servers... :twisted:

You can fly the jets and the helis with a mouse, it will just be harder for you cause you won't be able to make as sharp a turns. Anyways, you should really try complaining less about the control scheme or else you will get a half-baked product like Star Wars Battlefront ;). You should try complaining about other more relevant things like not including a radar or the server browser sucking ;).

Games like this push the boundaries of a "first person shooter," be thankful for it! Now if only they would let us have 128 player servers... :twisted:

Well, I will complain if I feel that the control set up sucks. As I said before, for a first-person shooter game I shouldnt have to go out and BUY a whole other control system (like a joystick) and plug it in. If the game in question was originally a simulator game such as Flight Simulator or Mechwarrior then thats a different story. The point being though that this game markets itself as a first-person shooter game with squad combat and tactics etc...yet if you want to use all of the cool vehicles and actually fly them / operate them in a proficient manner you need a fricking joystick.

Anyway, on a whole whenever I played Battlefield 2 as you pointed out the server browsing sucks and for whatever reason there is a ton of lag associated with large maps with a large number of people playing.

Guest JediIgor

Skynx, you don't have to go out and buy anything, jesus christ, I just told you you can control it with a mouse and keyboard, so stop complaining you have to buy a joystick. You don't. Complain that the keyboard+mouse controls suck if you want, but don't complain about having to buy a joystick.

Furthermore, nobody is forcing you to fly! There aren't any maps where you have to use airplanes (and as the USA on all maps you start with a ground flag..) and you don't need to fly in airplanes to advance in rank. You have a choice. I for one much prefer the helicopters in Battlefield 2 over those lame dumbed down ones in Joint Ops.

Especially if you start mentioning the squad tactics and commanding, have you ever tried to control a squad that consists only of pilots? It doesn't work, squads #1 purpose is to be infantry and maybe dropoff by a Z-8/Black Hawk. So if you are playing in a squad, you definitely don't need to be flying anything!

As for your preposterous (yes, preposterous) claim that Battlefield 2 is a first person shooter, please look at http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/battlefield2/us/features.jsp and find any mention of "first," "person," or "shooter."

I think that so far Battlefield 2 is by-far the best of the series, and of any other copy-cat games. I do have a few qualms with it. First, those individuals who simply parade around in the APCs, camp spawn points and make playing frustrating in general. I know, this is a dynamic of the game, but I think there should be more focus on the squad play and infantry rather than the vehicles. The biggest problem with this is that the Anti-Tank class is given a terrible weapon (even the unlockable auto shotgun isn't that great) and the so-called "anti-tank" weapon takes three hits at least to deal with an armored vehicle (when you're only given five rounds, that's signifigant).

I also think that the mini-guns on the Blackhawk need to be toned down a tad. A blackhawk with two engineers and a medic is pretty much invincable, and the guns don't help any. None of the other transport choppers get anything more than a machine gun, which is rather random and fires more slowly, not to meantion they do no damage to armored vehicles. This is really only a small problem, and only becomes annoying on some servers.

My third and final problem isn't really with the game I suppose, but with the industry. EA teamed up with nVidia for this, and claim that the game will run best on a system with an nVidia video card. Well, that's a load of crap. Tests have shown that ATI X850 PEs perform the best. That aside, this teamup of EA and nVidia means that those of us with ATI cards suffer from glitches. I have just baught an ATI X850 XT. I spent $550 on this card because I knew that its 16 pixel pipelines and 256 MB of ram would run the game better than my old 6800, which only had 128 MB of ram and 12 pixel pipelines. Despite this, I suffer from missing textures on rocks and trees in some instances. ATI's temp solution to this is to lower the texture settings from high to medium. Well, since you can't run the game with full setting on anything short of a system with 1.2 gig of ram, I'm already running it on medium textures. Basically my point is that the industry should attempt to perfect their games for users with all types of hardware, not just hose with one brand.

Now, I don't just want to complain. I'm glad that this game pretty much requires you to have an up-to-date system. Without a good deal of ram and a next-generation video card you can't play htis game with both Anti Aliasing and High Textures. The industry is finally moving away from reusing old graphics engines that are tested and true and taking the risk of forcing users to stup up their game a little... or maybe it just like it because I can use these games as an excuse to spend my money on things I really don't need.

History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up with it will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all.