Rebellion CD and full install

After doing some legwork, I've noticed something interesting: You do not need the CD to play Rebellion. When you do a full install, all files are copied to the directory except the MDATA folder. If you manually copy the folder from inside the CD into the Rebellion directory on your HD, you can play without the game CD in the computer tray. The benefits of this are obvious, such as being able to listen to a music CD while playing Rebellion, or playing Rebellion while installing files from a CD. Of course, the downside to this is that all of those .WAV and movie files in the MDATA folder are now taking up space on your HD, so its a double-edged sword.

I'm sure someone else figured this out already, but some of the newer members might not know.

Count Dooku is the strongest Star Wars character as depicted in the movies. All hail Christopher Lee.

I'm going crusading about my individuality so...

Yeah well mine doesn't do that because MY copy is DIFFERENT, so don't try and categorize MY copy with all of your lesser copies, it is degrading! Rawr! W()()()()()()OOOOOO00000000ooooooo.....

Anyways, nice to know about the full install. I should probably reinstall it then because if memory serves I didn't do the full install... Thats probably why RebEd doesn't work come to think of it... Oh my god obviousness blows...

"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

Come to think of it, this poses a problem: My TC is going to have new entries in the DLL files, movies, pictures, voices, sounds, etc. Honestly, the only way to get all the changes would be to download the entire game. Thats bad, as some unscrupulous person could essentially download Rebellion for free. What should I do?
Count Dooku is the strongest Star Wars character as depicted in the movies. All hail Christopher Lee.

Just don't include the actual exe. They need that to read those other files, don't they?

Forum and RPG Membership:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsTC.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/StellarMagic01/RaporaWarsRPG2.jpg

Signature:

Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from Magic. -Arthur C. Clarke

Guest JediIgor
So basically you're saying if we copy over Rebellion from the CD instead of using the Install method we can play without the CD?

My god Igor I love your little signiature picture. I love seeing that it kicks so much ass!

Anyways, or you could just get a no CD patch if thats allowed... If not then nevermind I guess...

"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

Guest JediIgor
Thanks, but could you please answer the question? And if you find a NO CD patch, you're welcome to share it here, we haven't figured out any way to do that except to mount a CD image with something like Daemon Tools.

That seems to be the case. While I honestly dont know if copying everything from the CD works or not (you are welcome to try!), I DO know that you can run the game by moving the MDATA folder inside the Star Wars Rebellion folder! The only downside is that every now and then the game will crash, but that could be my computer or some of the mods I've made to Rebellion. I havent used the CD all summer, so it works!

Well I couldn't find a no CD patch but theres a no CD Crack, if they are the same thing I don't know. I just haven't said anything because I remember someone saying something about Cracks and Warez being illegal... But err some clarification would be nice.

Yeah, they're illegal in the same way that doing any sort of rebellion modding is illegal, as its changing the game beyond the programmer's intentions (unless the software company explicitly states that it is okay to do so). Simply using a no-CD crack probably wont get you into much trouble, but taking it a step further by distributing free copies of the game is where most companies draw the line.

Guest JediIgor
If you guys find a working noCD patch then by all means link to us here.. it's no worse than copying the MDATA folder and its not distributing the CD so I don't think anyone will mind.

Well I have the No CD Crack from a program called WinMX if you guys want it PM me and I'll e-mail it to you... Or err something.

Yar it does. I've been using it for about a week now.

Hold on- they made copys of this game in other countries? That is awesome! it'd just be great to hear Darth Vader talking in German, or something. "Luke, mein hester der nelchar!"... Not that that's actually German. But that kicks ass- Rebellion in different languages!

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Yeah, believe it or not we in US are the not the only HUMAN beings in the world. We aren't the Alpha, and Omega like most people tend to believe... Come to think of it doesn't Germany have a much better Economy then us? Or is that Japan?

• SWR Staff - Executive

Aenivae_Ikeda, the only single country to be anywhere close to our economic output is China. And the only group to match us would be the European Union combined output.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/rankorder/2001rank.html

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Yeah, even then China...their future is not as bright as everyone has been hyping. China was once this huge magnet for cheaper labor for manufacturing centers to be set up. Guess what, the Chinese government has been tightening the environmental laws as well as raising the minimum wage. The effect this has had wont be quite noticeable yet but a lot of manufacturers which were originally planning on expanding operations in China are now considering moving to a country which has cheaper wage rates like Vietnam.

As for the source, its not one I found online but I read it in the Wall Street Journal a few months ago. China's economy will in my opinion slow down very drastically in the next few years. One of the prime tenets of economic success is that workers tend to demand higher wages and better working conditions. Also, governments and the people (citizens) also want better environmental protection. The problem is that the Chinese government was so anxious to get people to invest there for business that they didnt realize that a lot of their growth cannot be sustained indefinitely.

Why does this happen? The bottom-line. Bottom-line is a term used in accounting, it means profits or losses. A company that is assembling shoes does NOT WANT to pay say 3 dollars an hr to a worker if they could get the same shoe assembled for maybe 1 dollar an hr in a country where the wage rate is lower. Its just common business sense, the management wants to increase profits and lower the cost of production. One thing that irks me is how a lot of people keep referring to the US economy as though it was still a manufacturing economy. It isnt. The US economy now is primarily a service economy. More money is generated by service businesses than by manufacturing businesses.

http://img30.echo.cx/img30/2519/yodavspals4fr0gi.gif

Yeah, believe it or not we in US are the not the only HUMAN beings in the world. We aren't the Alpha, and Omega like most people tend to believe... Come to think of it doesn't Germany have a much better Economy then us? Or is that Japan?

Okay, apparently that came out wrong- I had been under the impression that Rebellion was a huge flop that only sold in the U.S., just because I thought that was the only place it had been made. I was just amased that the game got out of the country- I mean, it wook me seven years before I took it out of a dusty box and played it, I hated it when I first tried it (I was a weak-minded fool at the time who didn't read the instruction manual). So, no offense meant to the rest of the world- not saying that the U.S. is better than anywhere else- I was saying that I thought they made Rebellion and that it never really left the country, except on Ebay, maybe. :oops:

12/14/07

Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la

Not gone, merely marching far away

Hmm, come to think of it.. though most games were sold on the European market, at the time of Rebellion not all games were translated (I call those the good times. Translations, and more importantly dubbed versions are generally bad). I remember Dark Forces and Jedi Knight being in English, as well as X-Wing vs. TIE-Fighter.

So I guess Rebellion was special.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/RiesstiuIV/Krempel/trapaure.gif