Idea for a game

Dont get the wrong idea about this post, I'm not asking for help on making a game or anything, but I'm just sort of rambling about a game from my youth and how cool it would be to see a Star Wars version of it.

Anyone remember Pirates! Gold? They just recently re-did it for PC and Xbox and made me remember the good old days. Anyway, the game has you as a privateer on the Caribbean in the 1500-1600s. You could ally yourself with any of the 4 major powers, or remain neutral. You would recruit men, sail around in your little ship and capture bigger ships through space combat and boarding. Once you capture a ship, you can use it to attack other ships or towns. Of course, you could never get a giant fleet together because you dont have enough men, but if you were lucky you could take some towns along the coast to use as bases.

I wish there was a Star Wars game like that. Maybe it could take place between the Thrawn era and the Yuuzan Vong invasion, when ships were getting more efficient in terms of crew sizes. You could fly in the different systems and capture New Republic ships or Remnant ships or whatever you wanted. I suppose a problem could be manpower for those giant starships like the Star Destroyers, but it would be neat to take over a small planet, steal some Federation Droid Pilot plans and start making droids to help you pilot the ship (Roger Roger). Of course, whoever you steal the ships from wont be happy and they'll send fleets after you (from what I understand, it was a miracle if you could get ahold of a dreadnaught, much less a star destroyer). To that end, capturing Star Destroyers would be the ultimate challenge in the game, sending your raiding party in and getting into a battle with the stormtroopers and fleet regiments inside. More than likely you'd be using dreadnaughts, corvettes, YT-1300s, or whatever they use at that time. That post Thrawn/Pre-Vong era seems the best place to put it, because its during that time that the Republic is experiencing growing pains, and the Empire is reduced in size and seems to come up with new super-weapons every other book or so, so I doubt they'd have TOO many fleets going after some space pirates. Anyway, I'm finished rambling. Just wishful thinking, but wouldn't it be cool?

Count Dooku is the strongest Star Wars character as depicted in the movies. All hail Christopher Lee.

yeah that sounds pretty cool. I have the new pirates game for pc, its an awesome game if a bit childish, but im not entirely convinced it would work in a star wars kinda way. I would certainly have to get a hold of a copy if it did though.

"Over the Mountains

Of the Moon,

Down the Valley of the Shadow,

Ride, boldly ride,"

The shade replied-

"If you seek for Eldorado!"

-Edgar Allen Poe

Obviously you wouldnt duel with the commander like in pirates, lol. It'd be nice if your little team of pirates/droids could board the ship and fight the enemy troopers "Battlefront" style though! And if you get a star destroyer you could use the tractor beam to take the ship into your cargo hold and board it like they did in Episode IV. I think it could work, but it would be too different from Pirates to justify trying to mod that game for it. oh well....
Count Dooku is the strongest Star Wars character as depicted in the movies. All hail Christopher Lee.

Pirates was great! I remember that...

Of course, you could never get a giant fleet together because you dont have enough men, but if you were lucky you could take some towns along the coast to use as bases.

You never did that? I used to have huge fleets mostly of frigates, i'd take the galleons by moving to their rears and raking them until capitulated, then sold them at the nearest friendly port!

It is perhaps wishful thinking though.

I've just remembered i've got a signature!

Yeah...at one time I had thought about doing a simple conversion using 3d models, canonballs being replaced by lasers, the ocean being space, etc...but it would still give the impression that you are floating ON space rather than IN space. Oh well....

Hmm, you would have to allow for 3d movement, across all three axes...

It would be cool but maybe we should just suffice at present with Stellar's new 'Starfighter Simulation' plan and 'Rebellion Reloaded'.

I've just remembered i've got a signature!

i dont think it would be that bad without 3d movement. everyone seems to always get hung up on things like that these days, but there were great games that ignored such things back before there were 3d graffics to work with.

:( wheres the love for the vintage games? :(

"Over the Mountains

Of the Moon,

Down the Valley of the Shadow,

Ride, boldly ride,"

The shade replied-

"If you seek for Eldorado!"

-Edgar Allen Poe