What do the numbers mean?

Wheeler

Question

Mines=3 Refinery=2337 Construction Points=764. Do I need more mines and less refinerys. Or do I have 3 Extra mines and 2337 refinerys? Also, do mines and refinerys have to be a 1:1 ratio on a planet or can I have a mining planet and refinery planet? This is a borrowed game and no manual. Thanks in advance.

19 answers to this question

You do need a 1:1 ratio of refinerys and mines in overall not on every planet. So you can have refinery- and mining-planet without a problem. 1 refinery and 1 mine together generates 50 construction points. To see how many mines and refinerys you have all togehter, left click on your advisor-droid an choose "galaxy overview". There you see the total number of all buildings, ships and troops you have from each type. (Including mines and refinerys.)

Important is only "construction points=..." (the rest is nonesense), meaning the construction points you have left for maintainance. In your chase you can build ships, troops, and buildings with a total maintanance cost of another 764.

As an advice: I would start building new refinery/mines soon, because building them need some time and 764 is not very much if you start building capital ships.

All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him. (Sun Tsu - The Art of War)

Great advice 8) . Also don't forget to build Gencores(planetary shields)and/or planetary shields and give the planet a garrison. These go hand in hand meaning they need the resources to be available and the resources need the defense to keep them from being sabotaged and attacked :idea::wink: . The more construction points the more forces are available :twisted: .

Anyway welcome Wheeler to Star Wars Rebellion :lol: .

"The attack on me by the Jedi has left me physically deformed. But, my Resolve has never been Stronger"Palpatine

lol, but as the posts before point out, what good would it do him with only 3 points on mines. I'd also bet military was not a priority in order to do that. If the rebels poked coruscant it probably would have blown up as if a Death Star hit it from every possible angle.

...every possible angle...I have to try that some time. The only stars you could see in the sky would be evil grey machines of death! Sorry...I kinda lost control there.

Nero wrote:

as the posts before point out, what good would it do him with only 3 points on mines.

I believe he was stating he had 3 "raw material units", 2337 "refined material units", and 764 "maintenance points". I've never seen that many "refined material units" waiting around collecting dust. Like Saron20f4 mentioned, I'm usually on building frenzies throughout the galaxy. The only time I get unused "refined materials" is toward the very end of the game, when I'm breathing down the neck of my (AI) opponent. I quit building things and just concentrate on that large final battle :D .

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

I've never seen that many "refined material units" waiting around collecting dust

*Whistles*

Well i'm still a newb at Rebellion so I suppose that doesn't matter, yet. Currently at over 2000 on day 105 :oops: Curse my lack of production centres. *Shakes fist* In another game I had over 2500 because it was the close of the game (day 1500+) and I was looking for the damn rebel base.

Although it might be something to do with my strat, which mainly revolves around building up my production bases whilst doing my best to sabotage any efforts to form a fleet by the other side before using my horded refined points on building huge fleets all over the place.

I've just remembered i've got a signature!

Eko wrote:

Although it might be something to do with my strat, which mainly revolves around building up my production bases whilst doing my best to sabotage any efforts to form a fleet by the other side before using my horded refined points on building huge fleets all over the place.

I've always thought about trying that strategy, but only as the Rebels (it fits in with how they started). But, when playing the Empire, it's always build, build, and then build some more. The more the better.

The problem I have run into, is that when sabotaging, blocading, or assualting the natural resources of the opponent, they don't produce very many fighting units. I didn't learn this lesson until after my FIRST game as the Empire. I conquered the entire galaxy (except for one planet) sent my HUGE fleet, only to be confronted by a single A-wing. Talk about anti-climatic. I now try very hard NOT to wipe out the resources of the AI, so I can have some grand battles. And it keeps you on your toes from having your own systems assaulted (which the AI will definitely do, but not too frequently).

Finally, after years of hard work I am the Supreme Sith Warlord! Muwhahahaha!! What?? What do you mean "there's only two of us"?

So what do the numbers mean again exactly? It got that way because I did two Blitzcrigs (sp) and captured two entire systems in a matter of a few turns. BTW Coresicant (sp) is a bunker and most defended (that's also my prison planet). :D

And I thought we did answer this very precise... Well perhaps I should put some work on writing in english. :oops:
All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him. (Sun Tsu - The Art of War)

Simply put (although MDk did an excellent job) if the two numbers by the mines and refineries are anything but zero you need to use the Galactic Overlay to see how many of each type you have. If they are not the same, build more to make them the same. Each pair (1 mine & 1 refinery) will give you 50 points to spend on other projects.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2350/darth1b3bu.jpg

Visit the forums > The Galactic Core Forums

This is a bit lengthy and detailed explanation. Mines and refineries serve two purposes.

1) For every pair of a mine and a refinery (1 to 1 ratio), you get 50 maintenance points. Everything you build uses maintenance points. When you build something, the maintenance points in your "pool of points" (shown on the screen) go down depending on what you're building (each item will specifically tell how many maintenance points it will need). These maintenance points keep your items running throughout the game (think of it as spare parts, fuel, food, etc. constantly keeping your items in "tip-top" shape). When something of yours is destroyed, you get the maintenance points back (if it's gone, it does not need spare parts, fuel, food, etc.). Ideally have the same number of mines as refineries, as this maximizes your maintenance points. If your maintenance points go negative, then there aren't enough spare parts for everything built. You must either scrap items or the computer will randomly do this for you (don't scrap mines or refineries, they don't give you maintenance points back, only refined materials). Maintenance points usually go negative when one or more of your planets (with mines and/or refineries) gets blockaded or captured.

2) Mines also produce "raw materials". Think of these as ingots of steel, blocks of plastic, giant rolls of copper for wiring, etc. Refineries use the "raw materials" to produce "refined materials". Think of these as steel beams and plates, engines, cannons, shield generators, computers, robots, etc. Everything you build requires "refined materials". When you build something, each item requires so many maintenance points and so many refined materials. When something of yours is destroyed (or scrapped) you get the "refined materials" back. Having more mines than refineries will cause of buildup of "surplus raw materials" (no big deal). Having more refineries than mines doesn't really help with anything, unless you have a surplus of raw materials, which they will turn into refined materials (otherwise they sit around doing nothing). If you build items that need more refined materials than is show, your item will have to wait until they become available for completion. For example if you're building ten items and they need 500 refined material units total and you only have 300. The 300 will get used up, and every few days some raw materials will be produced by the mines, and every few days those raw materials will be turned into refined materials. And those raw materials will be divided up to everything getting built (everything gets a turn at getting some) until all items are built. Everything gets in line, new items go to the end of the line. When it gets to the end of the line, it goes back to the front and starts over handing out the refined materials.

When you build facilities on planets and they get "captured", you lose the refined materials if these items are destroyed or scrapped. They now belong to the other player. You should get the maintenance points back, as I doubt you'll want to "maintain" the other guys stuff for him (even though it was once yours).

This might have been a little bit drawin out, but it should give you a better idea on what these items do and their importance. I hope this helped.

Good Luck.

Does anyone know how fast you generate raw material points per refinery assuming you have an equal number of mines/refinerys?

Also, is there a way to see how many refined materials you're using per day on troops, ships, buildings etc?

Ell_man wrote:

Does anyone know how fast you generate raw material points per refinery assuming you have an equal number of mines/refinerys?

A couple of things to clarify: raw material points are generated by mines, refined material points are generated by refineries. Production rate for mines and refineries is stated to be "5" (I believe you can right-click on a mine or refinery, then click on STATUS). I have asked before (on a different thread) what is the actual "rate", per hour, per day, per week, per month, etc. without an answer so far. It just might be a "generic" number between 1-10, or 1-20, or 1 to ?. Also, the production of materials (raw or refined) does NOT depend on "an equal number" of mines and refineries (but maintenance points do).

Also, is there a way to see how many refined materials you're using per day on troops, ships, buildings etc?

Basically, NO. It can be done, but not by the game. You would have to keep track of everything you build, how many refined materials each item needs, what day you start production, how long each item would "normally" take to build (if all materials were available & waiting), and how many mines & refineries you have. This sounds like it could be done on a spreadsheet, but it would definitely be complicated.

MDk wrote:

To see how many mines and refinerys you have all togehter, left click on your advisor-droid an choose "galaxy overview". There you see the total number of all buildings, ships and troops you have from each type. (Including mines and refinerys.)

Something I have observed with "galaxy overview" (at least with the mines and refineries) is the total number of items shown is "existing" PLUS what is still "in production"! When looking at the number of mines and refineries, let's say there is 100 mines and 95 refineries (with 10 mines being built and no refineries being built). In the game there are really 90 mines. As each of the mines is "delivered" to its destination system, THEN your maintenance points get updated. So, maintenance points don't get updated until facilities are "on planet" producing items. So, just be aware of how many you have (per galaxy overview) and how many of each you currently have being built. :wink:

Darth Tex said(in italics),

A couple of things to clarify: raw material points are generated by mines, refined material points are generated by refineries.

Ah yes, I messed up on the terms. You interpreted what I said correctly though :)

[The number of refined materials produced per day per refinery] just might be a "generic" number between 1-10, or 1-20, or 1 to ?.

I was doing some tests on my own and with an equal number of mines/refineries I got about .16 refined materials per day per refinery. This seems far too slow though, as it would take 125 to make back the 20 refined material investment on a new refinery. Maybe someone can do some more tests or maybe someone familiar with the editor knows what the actual data is?

Also, the production of materials (raw or refined) does NOT depend on "an equal number" of mines and refineries (but maintenance points do).

Don't refined materials need raw materials in order to be produced? So in a way the production of refined materials depends on having enough raw materials being produced or there will be nothing to refine. [/i]

I was doing some tests on my own and with an equal number of mines/refineries I got about .16 refined materials per day per refinery. This seems far too slow though, as it would take 125 to make back the 20 refined material investment on a new refinery. Maybe someone can do some more tests or maybe someone familiar with the editor knows what the actual data is?

Was that with just one min and one refinery? That seems to be the only way to test the hypothesis.

Don't refined materials need raw materials in order to be produced? So in a way the production of refined materials depends on having enough raw materials being produced or there will be nothing to refine. [/i]

Yes,but if you have a good mine to refiniery ratio this shouldn't matter. Everything seems to depend in having the optimum ratio, which will theoretically produce the maximum refined and matinence points.

I've just remembered i've got a signature!

wouldn't it be best to scrap all mines and refineries and write down the day and how many of each you have.delete refined for a mine and build one. run it for 10days then scarp it and see how many basic you have. do the same with a refiery but then see how much they change for both basic and refined then work it out from there :?:

wouldn't it be best to scrap all mines and refineries and write down the day and how many of each you have.delete refined for a mine and build one. run it for 10days then scarp it and see how many basic you have. do the same with a refiery but then see how much they change for both basic and refined then work it out from there

Let me describe how I did the test.

First I started a new game as the empire. Then I scrapped everything, but 8 mines and 8 refineries. I recorded how many refined materials I had as well as the date. Then I put the game on full speed and after 295 days I recorded how many new refined materials were produced. Then I did:

(Newly refined materials/ Days)*(amount of refineries working) = amount of refined materials per day per each refinery.

I started with 245 refined materials and ended with 625 which makes 380 newly refined materials. I started on day 12 and ended on day 307 which makes it 295 days.

380/295 = 1.2881355

1.2881355 / 8 = 0.1610169

~.16 refined materials per day with 8 mines and 8 refineries working.

I should run more tests though as there is a certain amount of randomness in the amount of refined materials produced per day. You see jumps of 3 or 4 some days then 1 or 2 on other days. It's not a flat increase in refined materials each day but the randomness seems to be "predictable" and over time the randomness evens out.

Ell_man wrote:

Darth Tex said(in italics),

Also, the production of materials (raw or refined) does NOT depend on "an equal number" of mines and refineries (but maintenance points do).

Don't refined materials need raw materials in order to be produced? So in a way the production of refined materials depends on having enough raw materials being produced or there will be nothing to refine.

Let me clarify on what I was trying to say, you don't HAVE TO HAVE an equal number or mines and refineries to produce raw materials/refined materials. It definitely helps to keep things balanced but it doesn't pose a detriment to the game. Many times I've had more mines than refineries, and then end up with a raw material surplus. Than later I'll have more refineries than mines to lower the raw materials surplus to make refined materials. When your "building" (facilities, troops, ships, etc.) starts slowing down, you might even see a surplus of refined materials. So basically, mines produce raw materials no matter how many refineries you have, and refineries produce refined materials (but will be under utilized if there are too few mines). One-to One ratio is OPTIMAL!

Ell_man wrote:

I started with 245 refined materials and ended with 625 which makes 380 newly refined materials. I started on day 12 and ended on day 307 which makes it 295 days.

380/295 = 1.2881355

1.2881355 / 8 = 0.1610169

~.16 refined materials per day with 8 mines and 8 refineries working.

~0.16 refined materials per day per refinery. That sounds correct to me. ~0.16 = 1/6 (one sixth), multiply this by the generic 30 days per month and you get (30/6 = 5). 5 is what the production rate is set at for mines and refineries. So the 5 is 5 units per facility per month.