Strategy Discussion : Protecting Mining Planets

Jonathan

Question

Welcome to Strategy Discussion. We will be discussion your tactics on protecting your mining planets.

There are so many options, whether it be shields, a fleet for each entire system, a massive array of fighters for each planet, but how do you do it?

I personally have recently tried making a small fleet to protect all of the planets in a system. I'm not really sold that it will work yet. Usually the computer just moves its fleet rather quickly, or at least, before I can get there.

Please discuss your strategies...

13 answers to this question

• SWR Staff - Executive
2 Gencores, some troops. That's it. The war effort is dedicated to pounding the enemy where it hurts. It won't matter much if they're attacking my mining planets while I'm blockading the Rebel base ;)

Evaders99

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/rebellionbanner02or6.gif Webmaster

http://swrebellion.com/images/banners/swcicuserbar.png Administrator

Fighting is terrible, but not as terrible as losing the will to fight.

- SW:Rebellion Network - Evaders Squadron Coding -

The cake is a lie.

Yeah makes sense. I think the true point to effective mining, is coming up with a defense that doesn't nearly cost as much as you are producing. Otherwise, it's rather pointless, hah!

It'd be nice to further the discussion with more strategies as well. ;)

Want the cheat strategy? 1 SSD, 1 SD2, 1 VSD2, 3 Strike Cruisers, loaded with tie-d's. Alternatively, 1 Bulwark, 1 Dauntless, 1 Liberator, 3 Assault Frigates, X-wings on each. When the enemy fleet blockades a planet, you save the game, and wait to see which planet it goes to next. Then you load the game and move your fleet there before the enemy fleet does.

Just a cheat strategy but you wanted more.

"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

Are there any weapons to "hold" a fleet at a planet? In a multiplayer game, I don't see what's stopping a massive enemy fleet making a quick day stop by. Leaving with a big refinery and miner bombardment. If the fleet is big enough, they'll break through the two GenCores. If you begin to add more GenCores, then, isn't that a waste of resources if you have to use what you get?

Death Star? No. The only thing I can see as defense is Fighters or a nearby fleet that can react fast. Really it's all you can do. Place LNR series II and you might take a few ships with you :D

Yeah, your right. That's the cold, hard, truth to owning planets. If you fortify them enough, you can prevent the enemy from taking it over, but at quite a high cost. Or, you leave the planet basically wide open, and just hope that if they attack, you can distract them by creating a bigger disturbance on one of their important systems.

Heres a new idea. Make the core worlds into mining planets because the enemy generally attacks the outer rim planets first. Then instead of using the outer rim as mining stations you turn each into a shipyard world. Then you produce a fleet for each one, and send some ships off to a main force. After you have a sizeable fleet at each one you scrap the shipyards and then turn those into mining stations.
"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

Good, sort of. Get your diplomats claiming more worlds, but NEVER scrap a shipyard. First, as long as you have Maintenance to spend, there are ships to be built. Outfit other worlds with mines to get more maintenance, but NEVER scrap a shipyard. I've been knocked on my back in one simple stroke and a lack of foresight by myself through that. Scraping your best shipyard is stupid. Keep it. You will always take losses, losses always need to be replaced. Scrapping shipyards is stupid, don't do it.

If they are Gencore IIs..and there are two of those bad boys...good luck breaking through that. Perhaps using Evaders idea of the two gencores is not bad..but also just mix in 1 turbolaser battery. That way everytime the enemy fleet attacks and if they dont breach the shields..it increases the chance of a ship taking damage or getting destroyed.

I remember the first time I played Rebellion and tried to bombard a planet thinking it would be fun and dandy...only to discover that the 2 shield generators stopped all damage and the turbolaser battery on the planet destroyed one of my Victory's and damaged one of my ISDs.

http://img30.echo.cx/img30/2519/yodavspals4fr0gi.gif

Good times, actually they weren't, but yeah. That is the number one reason I use the save restart. When I know I'm about to do something stupid, but I'll try it anyways. (Definition of Insanity- Trying the same thing many times expecting different results)

I tend to defend outer rim mining planets lightly- 1-3 Clonestormtrooper Regts., 6 TIE Interceptors that is it unless it is really important, then I'll add 3 more clones and gencores with lnr2. It is easier to send the Sector fleet to retake a lost planet than invest heavily in defense. Especially if maintenance income is tight.-Grand Moff Conway

That doesnt seem like a bad idea at all Paul.

In my experience and I dont know why the AI does this, but the AI loves to bombard worlds. Even if it damages their popular support, the AI will literally bombard any/all of the worlds it can back to the stone age. I find that in some cases even a military bombardment can be disastrous to my popular support.

http://img30.echo.cx/img30/2519/yodavspals4fr0gi.gif