Research Over Time or Research with Characters?

Jacen_Fel

Question

Just wondering what ya'll think on this. Is it better to just get your new ships/vechiles and stuff over time or to have characters slaving away trying to research'em first. Anyone got a chart that says when you get certain techs over time without research? Or anyone know exactly how many turns early you get stuff after a successful research. (Like Construction research success makes you get your next construction research 20 turns early or whatever the case may be).

Im not sure if there is a progression chart or anything like that. But I would def. send R&D missions. It is imperitave to increase facilities as swiftly as possible. Also, the Rebels really need it to increase their capital starship possibilities, and the Sullustrians are excellent as early as possible, due to their high detection and low production. Also, many of the characters that have research abilities have other skills that are not as relevant until later (many have just leadership only). So in short, research as much as possible! Its worth the loss of a few guys on mission.

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side!

My Website

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/BigBadBob113.png

To add to this with something I've been wondering...

Should I group the guys to research in the same mission? Or should they do 3 seperate missions-if there are 3 guys of course?

I don't quite remember, but I think that if you don't research you get the Super Star Destroyer or the Bulwark on Day 2000, or 1000 one of the two...
"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

group benefits are the same as with diplomacy. Your research goes faster, at least I expect as much. Although if one of the researchers is a traitor then the mission will be failed repeatedly and that bugs like all hell.
"I saw the greatest minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical, naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix." -Allen Ginnsberg, "Howl"

No I usually just get like 4 ship researchers, and send them on a mission together, if one is a traitor the mission will be failed. Then I send each one to research at a different planet in the same sector. Then the mission will be failed of the one researcher, but I can keep sending him on the mission, which contributes to the research gained. That way the traitors are working for me.

The difference between the groups and the single missions are this:

As a group- Every time the mission is reported, the research is "Making progress".

As individuals- Sometimes produces no result, when it works, it works once for each person doing the research.

I usually do group though.

Wait, when they fail it speeds your research up too?? :?:

EDIT: Did some testing of my own.. sucks to be the Empire and not research on smallest galaxy on easy without research your first research tech is:

Turn 375 Tie Bomber Research FINISHES

Turn 535 Advanced Training Facility Research FINISHES

Then nothing else till 800 something at least... I died at that point since I had it on fastest running without doing anything.

I tried against on larger galaxy on hardest and got to turn 453 without receiving any tech before an error crashed the game. So apparently the bigger the galaxy(or harder the difficulty) the longer it takes to get research with or without people working hard for it.

I plan to run this test with the Rebels next...

Ok, tried it with the rebels also... interesting results:

REBEL TECHS W/OUT Research(on EZ, Small Galaxy)

Turn 275 Nebulon-B Frigate Research FINISHES

After that I didn't get a single tech until the Empire finished me off in turn 1562... as I wasn't doing anything but running speed on fastest... anyhow apparently even as the rebels you need research. I can only conclude my opponent that supposedly waited until he got Sullustans without researching in our game didn't in-fact wait but researched... or else there is something else that factors into research(such as having shipyards/barracks producing units perhaps?) Dunno, anyone else's insights would be nice...

I didn't mean that even when it fails it increases. What I meant was that even though a few fails will happen, a research is boosted for each succesfull mission. When several missions are in progress, more will succeed, but will fail more often than if grouped.

Honestly, I have no idea if the 'researcher' helps speed things along or not. All I know is in some of my games I was getting schooled because I couldnt build enough Lancers to destroy the rebel fighters. My regular TIE Fighters were not quite up to par for the task.
http://img30.echo.cx/img30/2519/yodavspals4fr0gi.gif

Researchers do help, and a lot. I've done a little revision in the last hour, I think I may know how the research works. This is just a guess though.

Using the RebEd, I found that all the researchers but Bevel Lemelisk have a value of 40 on their assigned R&D type. Bevel has 50 on all three. I think this means it adds that much percentage to the research speed. It would make sense, and the values seem right, but that goes against all the things i've said above. I think that this new theory is right though, although I can't really prove it.

Researchers do help, and a lot. I've done a little revision in the last hour, I think I may know how the research works. This is just a guess though.

Using the RebEd, I found that all the researchers but Bevel Lemelisk have a value of 40 on their assigned R&D type. Bevel has 50 on all three. I think this means it adds that much percentage to the research speed. It would make sense, and the values seem right, but that goes against all the things i've said above. I think that this new theory is right though, although I can't really prove it.

Hmmm...I hope your right. Just means next time I fire up a game of Rebellion that I need to use RebEd and give my research guys larger bonuses. :wink:

http://img30.echo.cx/img30/2519/yodavspals4fr0gi.gif

I actually have better luck sending one character only on each type of research. I have edited the game to give both sides all advanced types of facilities (Construction,Shipyards,Troop Training) from the begining so there is not as much to the facility research. But troop and ship research is even more important since I have more advanced ships to research.-Grand Moff Conway

Found some more info on Research... this is from a random strategy guide on another site:

"Research is another critical function in the game. Research happens

automatically in each field (facilities,

starships and ground troops) as long as you have one of each type of

construction facility located somewhere.

However, this process is very slow and completely random until you get

R&D-capable people to work."

So you have to have at least one of the facilities somewhere... that explains why I never got troop research in my test games, lol.

I have a feeling that the type of facility has an 'x' factor to the equation as well. If you start with advanced facilities (like GM Conway i do this too) the research seems to take less time. Number fo facilities also seem to be in that equation as well. Maybe we are looking at : -

N+[(AxB)+(CxD)] = research time

Where A is the number of buildings

B is the level of the building

C is the number of characters

D is that characters given research bonus (remebering that this is a variable according to RebEd[ie 60% + or - 60])

N is the given standard that rebellion uses for research

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2350/darth1b3bu.jpg

Visit the forums > The Galactic Core Forums

I think so too Griffin, because sometimes I start myself off with like 3 advanced shipyards, and the rebels with like 9. One time though I accidentally put it as 13 shipyards and about twenty days in I had the research for the tie bomber.

I think Griffin's formula is the closest thing we have to an understanding of how research works currently :lol: . Seems logical enough too :-)

Of course you would have to include the seemingly random failure generation into the equation as well seen as even 6 characters grouped together sometimes fail in their research.

Plus if you want to remove the variance just go to the characters in RebEd and change the variance to zero. That way you know how good they are. Seems to help if you put them to 100 as well. I also set Ackbar to 150 and changed a few others too. It seemed logical that Ackbar be better as we know he has already invented a couple of ships.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2350/darth1b3bu.jpg

Visit the forums > The Galactic Core Forums

Paul, they usually hit on of the core worlds around day 200 with a sizeable fleet, usually consisting of two or three mon cals, some corvettes, maybe a dreadnaught, and usually two bulk cruisers. It makes everything a lot more interesting.

Of course you would have to include the seemingly random failure generation into the equation as well seen as even 6 characters grouped together sometimes fail in their research.

6? You must have modded...you can't get six guys all researching the same thing without a modded game. Anyhow if it failed with six then you know for sure one is a traitor that is ruining the combined mission for all.